Hi All, I have a 20V blacktop and i've been having starter issues. It was intermittent at one stage and then started getting more common. When it was cold, it would always start so I concluded that it was heating that was causing the starter to die. I read that the solenoid gets damaged with heat so I decided to buy a new starter motor. It sits so close to the headers so get severely hot. One way to prove it was the starter motor was when it wasn't working, I did the mandatory tap with a hammer on the side while trying to start and it worked.

I'm running the Honda Accord starter motor conversion with the SQ Engineering adapter. So I install a new one and wrapped it all up with heat wrap so it won't get damaged by the heat again. I'm driving in 35 degree heat and it's working fine. I then go to pickup the kids and it doesn't start. I clutch start it and get it home. I leave it for an hour and it starts.

My question to you all is what is going on? definitely something to with heat. My only other option to keep heat off it is to wrap the headers. Has anyone else had this problem?

The only other thing I've read is the current from the starter barrel is not enough so I will need to install a relay to the trigger and let it trigger the starter motor off 12v.