Oldschool Member
    Name
    Tan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default 20v BT starter issues

Hi All, I have a 20V blacktop and i've been having starter issues. It was intermittent at one stage and then started getting more common. When it was cold, it would always start so I concluded that it was heating that was causing the starter to die. I read that the solenoid gets damaged with heat so I decided to buy a new starter motor. It sits so close to the headers so get severely hot. One way to prove it was the starter motor was when it wasn't working, I did the mandatory tap with a hammer on the side while trying to start and it worked.

I'm running the Honda Accord starter motor conversion with the SQ Engineering adapter. So I install a new one and wrapped it all up with heat wrap so it won't get damaged by the heat again. I'm driving in 35 degree heat and it's working fine. I then go to pickup the kids and it doesn't start. I clutch start it and get it home. I leave it for an hour and it starts.

My question to you all is what is going on? definitely something to with heat. My only other option to keep heat off it is to wrap the headers. Has anyone else had this problem?

The only other thing I've read is the current from the starter barrel is not enough so I will need to install a relay to the trigger and let it trigger the starter motor off 12v.

Senior Member Hen may possibly be a nut's Avatar
    Name
    Hen
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Easiest solution is to put a relay between key barrel and starter. This ensures the starter solenoid get a good, solid 12V signal. After this I'd be wrapping the manifold/headers and/or installing a heat shield between them.

Depending on how old the starter motor itself is, it could be the solenoid contacts that are worn. Pulling apart and filing them has helped me before (on a different car).

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I think anyone who has an old starter has this issue. Most people dont rebuild the contacts when they rebuild a starter. Even my rebuilt Y engine starter has done this 3 times in 3 years. I used to have a 20v in ae71 that did this more often. It was always just fixed by whacking the starter. Keep a wooden mallet under the seat. Its a bit odd how you have a "new" starter and this happens still. Was it new or rebuilt, or new to you, meaning very second hand?

Oldschool Member
    Name
    Tan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Thanks guys. The new starter is a brand new Bosch one. I’m think the relay solution will work. What I suspect is when the starters get hot, they potentially need more current to get the solenoid to kick over. With the old ignition system, this isn’t adequate.

I should have a relay in today so will let you know how I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Well its the hottest part of the year too, so that could definitely point to heat as an issue.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Starters hate getting gunk in them, if you don't have the correct sandwich plate it is likely the starter is being clogged with dirt and muck.

If you add the relay, it'll definitely help as the car ages the barrel contacts get weaker and the car will struggle to start.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Oldschool Member
    Name
    Tan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Update: I installed the new relay wiring for the starter. Good news is that it starts
    I’ve yet to take it for a hot run. When I start working on the car I always think of all the other stuff I could do so I ended installing an oil cooler too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk