Name
    Jon
    State
    Telemark
    Country
    Norge

Default Starter wont crank

Hello.

When I went to start up my car a few days ago, there was no response but a single click. After a few tries, the car suddenly started. I let it run for a little bit, before I turned it off to see if it would start as normal again. However, it didnt start up again. A few tries later, even the clicks stopped, and now I have no response at all whatsoever whenever I turn the key.

- The battery has proper voltage
    - All the grounds seems to be good
    - The starter works when its hooked directly to a power supply

Ive also noticed that the clock on the dashboard turns off whenever i turn the key, cant remember if that happened before or if thats new.

The car is a corolla ae86 1984 levin, but it has a 4age engine from an mr2 so all the electrical isnt stock.

Anyone know what the problem might be?

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

You can add a relay to the starter motor which will assist the problem you are having. Organise someone to load test your battery if you can, but if you don't have a tester put your headlights on high beam for about 20 minutes and come back and re-test the battery voltage.

The relay is simple to add, power from the battery, a good earth and the wire going to the starter motor split in 2.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Vlad
    State
    Sacred Valley
    Country
    Peru

It could start at the ignition key, those contact points wear away. Disconnect the starter solenoid wire and check for 12V while someone cranks it.
    Then it could be the starter solenoid itself. If you have 12V there you should feel it click when someone cranks it. If it clicks but doesn't rotate the engine then the contacts insdie that feed 12V to the starter motor may be burned out.
    If the solenoid is working but the starter isn't, the starter may be burned out. The starter may be OK but won't turn the engine if the ring gear is worn enough, it just goes "click"..

From what you've said the battery is OK, unless it was cranking slowly the last time it started, so check the rest of the circuit.