Thread: Hello! New member, and a bonus Coilover question!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Name
    Jean-Francois
    State
    Quebec
    Country
    Canada

Default Hello! New member, and a bonus Coilover question!

Hi there
    My name is JF, I frequently come to this pretty cool forum to read tech posts and find pointers about our beloved AE86s, and today I'd like to say hi and ask for your opinions regarding your coilover experiences with the AE86.

A week ago I made the move from lowering springs ( I had Espelir rear / Tanabe GF210 front) to BC racing br type coilovers (6kg front / 4.5kg rear) on my hatchback corolla; All in all I have to say I made the jump hoping for complete adjustability and preserving a good enough ride comfort level, hence going softer than the typical 8/6 kg rates (and our roads here disgusting).

So I got the car aligned two days later, and I think I set the preload alright, and now I have been driving it for a week.
    Here is the point I want to ask you all about: Immediately I noticed a good 40% increase in road noise coming from the trunk area driving above 50 km/h or so. No clunking whatsoever, just this general road noise hum. NVH I presume.

Have any of you experienced this with coilovers? I mean I'm certainly no expert, and I'd love to hear your thoughts or ideas on this. I have to say for driving them this far, the BC BR's are doing a great job so far otherwise; really happy with the feel but for a daily driven car, that noise level increase... I hope I can find a fix. Perhaps some rubber washers between the camber plates and the car frame?

For now I think I will increase car height a bit and see if the noise changes.

Thanks guys, Take care

JF

CAR: ae86
    MOTOR: 4AGE bluetop
    USE: street / autocross
    PROBLEM: coilover noise
    OCCURS/STARTED WHEN: installed coilovers :/
    Last edited by JF Labbe; 27th August 2019 at 05:15 AM. Reason: missing details