Name
    Ricardo
    State
    Aveiro
    Country
    Portugal

Angry AE86 Color Issue

Hi
    My father and I are currently restoring an 1986 Ae86, all the body work is done and the car is ready to go to the paint booth (chosen color was the original red from that year, 3E6 i think) however we went by the shop to actually look at the car and the color and they had painted the engine compartment a different color than the one the body is gonna be sprayed with. We found that really odd and questioned them about it, they say its how Toyota does it and that most of the cars come out with the inside painted a different color (in this case it was red but uglier and darker than the original). As we are unsure if this is true or just a scam so they can pass by with lesser quality work I'd really appreciate if anyone could makes this clear for us.

thanks in advance

Name
    Chris
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

That doesn't sound correct at all. As far as I know the colour code on the build plate is the colour of the car inside and out.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

This is true to a certain extent. The silver 147 ae86 I have had the base acrylic grey in the bay. You might find some silver there but its likely to be overspray or incomplete. Same as the grey on the silver interior. They didnt put body colour where it wasnt needed, that said, Im pretty sure it would have beem the same paint as outside if on other colours they did feel the need to paint the bays. In low light once fitted with the engine and systems, you dont see much of the grey and its similar at first glance to the silver. I suspect they couldnt get away with it on a different colour that was distinct from the grey.

Name
    Dim
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I think this is the same in my silver ae86 also. The engine bay and below under the guards etc does not have the same silver metallic paint.

Name
    Chris
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Yeah, fair enough, they probably put the non-metallic shades on the cars with the metallic exterior paint codes.

Name
    John
    State
    california
    Country
    ontario

Ive never had that problem, at least not yet. I dont think alot of people care enough. Like i was on the forums looking for what color to use for bronze te37s and god the ones people posted where terrible. I ended up figuring it out my self and id say its 8.5/10