Thread: Rota wheels..??

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

you do realise...you guys are arguing...on the internet....about wheels......

i mean c'mon its sunday arvo go and work on your cars or something....or enjoy a nice cool drink on the veranda....

people can choose to use whatever they want.

if it looks good, and the person who OWNS the car enjoys them, whos to say they are crap?

thats right...knowone has the right to say that someone elses car is crap and that their car/products are better....and knowone has the right to put someone down just becuase of what products they decide to buy....

sure if you want to spend up big on what you belive is the "genuine article" sure go right ahead. nothing wrong with that and it is nice to be able to afford such things if you like them.

and alternativly if you are like me and you search for products that will do the same job for a smaller price, then good on you, and dont listen to these guys...

there is more to life than cars......and espeically more to life than the bits you bolt on....

its a fact that aluminium is a brittle material, being that it snaps not bends, thats the cost you pay for having light wheels, and also if you do somethign stupid enough that you hit a wheel hard enough to smash/bend it i belive you have more problems than a bent wheel.

a few of the pics posted up of munted rota wheels only show the wheel, id like to see how the rest of the car turned out....

8ball

No need to apologise squeek, i know you can`t help being a prick, but there is no need to make a career out of it, why don`t you tell cuntakid to change his sig, i`m sure people are sick of hearing how he will salute them if they buy a $3000 set of wheels for their corolla, maybe if he offered to suck their dick he might get somewhere, by the way what does STFU? stand for.

Considering you have not been around for a couple of days i am wondering why you would even bother mate.

8ball

KE70DAVE i salute you, your post is by far the most intelligent post in this thread so far although i tried to tell them that nobody has a right to tell someone what to do with there car, they obviously have not figured it out yet, must be the shit beer they brew in Adelaide.

Coopers > you

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

if you actually plug some numbers, you will find that dynamic friction, of a bagged up rear wheel of a drift car, really isnt put under a great deal of stress at all. Drifting is not a good test of a wheels strength unless you are banging 90 degree curbs over 60 clicks. In which case, if your wheel is still spinning the force will still be less than most will think.

The offset of a rim does not effect the the loading on the rim, as much as it does the tyre.

A tyre with a semi slick or a low profile such as 35-45, will damage the rim moreso, as there is less give in the tyres side wall, when an impact connects directly with the rim even, and not the tyre, the tyres outward pressure on the time still plays a big part. Hence a 185 60 on a 7.5 inch 14 rim, would be less likely to bend or be damaged than say a 195 50 on an 8/15.

The biggest factor in race wheels cracking, is usually heat, some of the porche gt3 cup cars etc can only use wheels for one race, as the brakes generate so much heat that the wheels go through a heat cycle. Im not sure if many of you know but alloy doesnt like being heated much over 350 degrees before loosing its strength.I can assure you, rodney jane doesnt use rodney jane wheels.

Also the application of a grip tyre, applying grip loads and sustaining an impact is going to have MUCH more force.

use equations like Eth = uk | Fu dx and you can quickly see how much heat is generated through a tyre alone, and alloy absorbs more of it than the tarmac does.

To me personally, i believe you build a car for a purpose, my personal builds number one goal is reliability, second is performance, i guess some people have it the other way round. And even throw a budget in there somewhere, id rather build a car over 10 years and be happy that I did all i could, than slap it together in 6 months and live off comments.
    wheelfriends.wordpress.com

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

yer agreed with driftke70, drifting is a pointless test of wheel strength.

a spinning wheel churning through rubber isnt going to put as much force on the wheel as ppl think. grab some racing slick tyres and drive the thing on its edge (not drifting) proper grip racing and then see how it goes.

just an interesting point id like to add, i have a 15x7 rays engineering wheel (what some would call "quality jap product") with a 195/50/r15. hit a pot hole....not an overly large one...and now its got a nice bend in it. still drives fine and holds air though. so my point being stuff is gonna break....so we just gota put up with it. the more dosh you pay for a wheel isnt gonna make it break less, if you hit something expect it to be damaged. and if its not...well i guess your lucky.

Name
    Johl
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

can i get a "halelujah?"
    how about an "amen!"

in other news.... back to the shit fight
    stroked 2L ca18-ae86 in the build...eta xmas 2012?

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

"Cuntakid"

Haven't heard that one before. Seriously.
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

konakid, you ARE aware that WORK emotion CR kai and XD9 are actually outsourced from CHINA AND teh PHILIPPENES.... LOL

JAP QUALITY.......

i'll add my 2c,

GET THE HELL OVER IT...

my 8 rotas have seen more that 2 years total ruthlessness, and in fact i trust them so much, i purchased several sets of those wattanabe style wheels from otomoto as well, in 17 x 9 -13 and 17 x 9.5 in -23, for my new coupe...

guess the cats outta the bag now... im going for more grip in the new car....

still ROTA = value for money.......

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Its not about where they are made, 99% of an outsourced product's quality comes down to the COMPANY'S R&D, Quality Control, proven designs and choice of factory.

China do make plenty of quality products, its just the majority is shit.

Show me proof of where XD9's and CR KAi's are made and ill believe you.
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast