State
    PENNSYLVANIA
    Country
    United States

Name:
    Sean

Pepsi sales representative

How did I find this forum:
    I recenyly bought a 85 corolla gts, was looking for info and found this.

Name
    Dylan
    State
    Southern California
    Country
    USA

Chuck in Socal, too old, Performance parts peddler.

Google search is the key

Name
    Yusuf
    State
    Connecticut
    Country
    USA

Hello just introducing myself.

Likes: Beer, Hennesy, Music, Anime, Movies, AE86's, Money (just to name a few things)

Dislikes: Bitch-assness.

will post my needs in the other forum topics.

cya!!

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Welcome guys!
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    J.A.C.K
    State
    Washington
    Country
    United States

hello from seattle, washington. i've had my 86 for several years now but we had run out of money part way through engine swap (why oh why did i buy a house?!). anyways, after 3 years of parking her at my grandma's house. we're almost back up and running!!! I'll post pics and vid once that's happened.

she's a 1986 GT-S Coupe. mods inc'l the following:

Body:
    JDM kouki front and rear bumpers
    zenki lip
    rear bumper fins
    fibre glass copy of eom side skirts (not mounted)
    seibon cf hood (super faded )
    aftermarket sunroof (old aftermarket sunroof was leaking like a mofo so it had to be replaced)
    east bear power mirrors (painted with boeing airplane paint - not installed. it's designed for rhd and mirrors aren't angled for lhd. need to figure how to convert)

Suspension:
    T3 8kg fr, 6kg rr coilovers, rca, and panhard
    battle version 4 links
    prothane bushings
    trd front sway bar
    cusco front strut tower bar
    silk road rear strut tower bar
    ultra 3point fender braces

Interior:
    recaro srd driver seat
    full swap from original blue to black
    black dash mat (got to protect the that dash from the sun!!)
    NOB (taniguchi) edition nardi steering wheel with quick release
    sapporo beer samurai sword tap handle as shift knob (not installed)
    Cs short shifter (leans right because it's jdm LOL!)
    brass shifter bushing
    sk sanyo jdm (km/h) white face gauge cluster (not installed)

Engine and Drivetrain:
    hi-comp "redtop" swap
    trd spark plug wires
    toda cam gears and valve springs
    hks 272/264 cams
    nst crank and alternator pulleys
    koyo radiator and e-fan conversion (derale e-fan kit)
    kbd 4-2-1 exhaust header
    link g4 ecu (not installed but very soon to be)
    silk road race clutch and super light fly wheel
    steel one piece drive shaft
    injen intake
    GReddy/Trust DD exhaust

Wheels:
    15x8.5 -10 WEDSports MA86

that's it, i think. she's been through several iterations thus far but this is how she currently sits as far as i can recall. lol. there's a worklog on hachiroku.net (same sn - strmrdr23) if you're interested. i prolly won't check here as often but i will pop in periodically when i wanna see how y'all do it half a world away!
    Last edited by strmrdr23; 20th June 2015 at 06:05 PM.

Oldschool Member
    Name
    Sarge
    State
    Wisconsin
    Country
    USA

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. hah.
    Name: Jorden
    How did I find the forum: I cannot remember, I've been reading bits on it for years.

I picked up an '85 GT-S hatch many moons ago, like back in 2005 or 2006. I kept it hidden for a year while I fixed a few things on it, then suprised all my friends at an Autocross by showing up in an AE86. This was right when Initial D was making its rounds again, and I was almost embarrassed, but I got over it because the car is just that good. Shortly thereafter, at BlackHawk Farms Raceway, I heard some knocking, and found that the previous owner had used RTV to help seal the head gasket. some of that RTV found its way to blocking the only oil port to the head, and I ended up galling the camshaft bearing surfaces.

So, I set out to build a fresh engine. I got a 7-rib bigport, a TRD 0.8mm head gasket (shoulda gone 0.6mm), some of the later 10.3:1 first-oversize pistons from a geo, some ARP head studs, and Supertech valves. did some cleanup on the head, with the oil drain and the ports. No real shaping/blending, just cleaning the flash and smoothing the walls; 80-grit on the intake, up to 320 on the exhaust. Spent a lot of time to get the valve shim clearances exactly the same for all intakes, and for all exhausts. made my own over-axle exhaust, put everything back together. At the same time, I got a Weir Performance Engineering 4.778:1 ring and pinion, and a Kaaz 2-way LSD. Did a break-in, and hit a dynojet dyno. 108hp, 98lb-ft. not too shabby!!

The car was pretty good, but I did want a little more out of it, and talked to Bob from Drift Office, who talked me out of jumping into a standalone, and recommended some old-school tuning, for what I wanted. A 4-1 header (needed a little work to not rub the steering rack,) SARD FPR, and a set of TODA cams (256/264). I also got new valvesprings to go with the new cam, made sure all the clearances were still the same, and did 12 runs on a Dyno Dynamics eddy-current dyno. To get the best result, I ended up just adding 4psi of fuel pressure, and 4 degrees of timing advance. The cams had the best performance dialed in exactly to zero degrees, even though I have fancy cam pulleys. The end result was 133.0hp, and 108lb-ft. So I ran the car just like that for awhile. So I proceeded to do local autocross events, autocross and time attack and lapping days at USAIR in Shawano, Wiconsin, Brainerd Int'l Raceway in Minnesota, and Blackhawk Farms in Illinois, but never got a chance to get to Gingerman, Grattan, or Road America in this car. After about two years with nothing but oil changes, there was a dyno day at Kelly-Moss motorsports on their Mustang dyno, so I strapped it on, and lost a little power off of the fresh build: 122whp, 105lb-ft. Still good, with the wringer that I put this engine through. Plus my understanding is that Dynojet reads a little high, and Mustangs sometimes read low.

Living in Wisconsin, part of the Rust Belt, is a dangerous thing for metal cars. I didn't drive my Corolla on the salted roads during winter, but the damage had been done by previous owners, so the body is far from perfect, even nearing structural rot in a couple places. Then the dreaded happened. One spring, I forgot to check the steering knuckle bolts for tightness on the first jaunt out. one bolt fell out, which made the tire decide to turn opposite of the way the steering wheel was moving. the end result, a detached wheel/hub/rotor/caliper/strut, and a tweaked subframe, passenger door that doesn't close right, and a bad day.

fast forward a couple years.. just this past October, I flew out to Portland, OR, bought a rust-free diesel truck, rented a tow dolly, then put a rust-free '84 SR5 hatch shell on the dolly, and drove home to Wisconsin. I an neither confirm nor deny whether there was an unfinished BEAMS swap under the hood of said SR5. The point of a clean shell was to put my built 4AGE into it, so I could once again drive an amazing car.

Then just two weekends ago, someone thought they had some engine problems, so were selling their '86 SR5 coupe for a low price. I had a perfectly good 4AC from the Portland shell, so I was going to just swap it in. Except that all I had to do was bolt on a carburetor, change some fuel hoses, charge the battery, and change the oil. starts and runs fine, although at 1°F, it is a little rough to keep running until it warms up.

Just waiting on some front spring seats, then I'll be able to find out how this coupe actually drives.

So anyways.... there's my intro, and a good way to get rid of that nagging message at the top.

--sarge
    Last edited by SgtRauksauff; 28th January 2016 at 02:38 AM. Reason: additional information

Name
    chris
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States

NAME:
    Chris

Occupation
    Photographer

How'd you find this forum
    Was looking for info on ae71. Will be buying one in the next week or so. Old Nissan guy, so time for a new project.

Name
    rosey
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Hi, My name is Adam and I am from Melbourne and by profession a banker and love traveling!

Name
    Brian
    State
    Colorado
    Country
    USA

Hey new to the forum so i figured id get in on the introductions as well,

NAME:

Brian

Mechanic
    (insert catchy phrase here)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4