Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ADM AE86 (Blacktop) - Fuel Tank ?

Name
    Luke
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Default ADM AE86 (Blacktop) - Fuel Tank ?

Converted ADM AE86 to blacktop 20v. I am currently using a VL in-tank pump in the stock ADM tank, but i am getting sick of having to keep a full tank of fuel, so:

Note: my ADM tank needs replacing/welding anyway, so id probably rather just bolt in a new tank.

Thanks,

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

JDM tank for the win, you can still get surge but you can get away with much lower fuel levels than you could with a non efi tank. I didnt get surge with mine till it was about 12 litres left, in real extreme conditions.

Name
    Chris
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

yeah a jap tank, or if you don't want a surge tank sittin in ya boot aaron at shatokan garage is selling some undercars

Veteran
    Name
    john
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

surge tanks imo are really only recommended for tack only cars or high HP cars ... espeaicllay nowdays with so many jdm ae86s going around and jdm parts its easy to find a efi tank ...
    Last edited by redsprinter; 20th August 2009 at 12:32 PM.
    Originally Posted by cicca_294
    my dads mate is getting one, in white, aus delivered.
    his mate has an imported on in white,
    and their mate has a blood red one with a 25k new exhaust system...

i wish i had enough money for a freaking corolla

Name
    Chris
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

can you explain to me the reasoning behind not using a surge tank for an everyday car, i was plannin to use one in my daily, aswell as my jap tank, as i'm alway under 1/4 tank

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

well from personal experience, in my ke70 i only had an external pump attached between the fuel tank and the standard fuel line. i had this for about 6months or so.

i was able to run my tank right down to the fuel light and it only just started to surge then with normal driving. i think i can only remember 2 or 3 instances where i actually felt the engine splutter a bit.

the main problem for me was the NOISE!!!!!! of the pump. it would be in a continual state of cavitation, as those pumps aren't designed to suck fuel out of the tank. it was unbeliveably annoying, to the point where i would get angry just from the noise.

i think that an intank pump would be sufficient, as they are designed to be there.

ive recently put in a surge tank system in my car (completely under car), and the main advantage for me, is that ill never have to worry about it again. and also...its silent!!!! and i can run my car down to the fuel light, and know that i have ~600ml of fuel extra in the tank one of these days im gonna run out of fuel....

so i think for a street car, an intank pump in an adm tank would be sufficient. but if your gonna start drifting or throwing the car around, it will no doubt surge with lower fuel levels.

from what others have been saying i don't think a jap tank is THAT much better, but certainly an improvement.
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Name
    Luke
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Thanks for the input guys, it sounds like a jdm tank is only a partial fix? as the cost on both options is about the same ($200); i am probably leaning towards a surge tank, and weld up the bung in my ADM tank (trying not to explode myself haha).

Name
    Chris
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

i didn't ask why you wouldn't run an external i was askin bout the surge tank, but the helps heaps, cheer man

Veteran
    Name
    john
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

ok running a surge tank ..1stly will require a engineering certificate ... and here even on the track in sydney CAMS requires that the surge tanks and any external pump to be fully enclosed from the main cabin (interior). hence building a box of some sort would work in a 86 coupe or e7 as the boot area is already if not inclosed but a 86 hatch .. it looks shit, can take time and money to do it right and .. imo for a street car .. why would you go to all that effort ... street sliding doesnt really consist of long sweeping slides that would put the car under that much side G's that would cause a surge in the fuel system .

2ndly call me a jdm lover or whatever .. but take it from the street ae86s in japan .. how many of them do you see sliding with surge tanks and what not.. not many.

for a surge tank setup .. you need a lift pump or internal pump that has a higher flow rate then your external pump, a surge tank , and then finally a external pump ... that all cost money ..

i say .. buy urself a efi tank first ... if it still surges then move onto a surge tank ...
    Last edited by redsprinter; 20th August 2009 at 04:14 PM.
    Originally Posted by cicca_294
    my dads mate is getting one, in white, aus delivered.
    his mate has an imported on in white,
    and their mate has a blood red one with a 25k new exhaust system...

i wish i had enough money for a freaking corolla

Name
    Chris
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

i'lll be runnin an undercar and.... the amount of shit that's already illegal in my car the last of my worries will be a small fuel box underneath

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast