Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Overheating Smallport 4age AE71- Headgasket?

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default Overheating Smallport 4age AE71?

hey there guys,

Car - AE71

motor / part in question - Smallport 4age

problem - Overheating

I made a thread about a month ago, but it was for a somewhat different issue.

The issue is im currently having is my smallport will gradually overheat. I can drive it hard, no issues, but on longer trips, (20-30) kilometres, it'll rise gradually. I read somewhere someone had issues with it getting hotter at high speeds, and plateauing at low speeds. I havent driven mine for a little while (off the road with broken tailshaft), but it does sort of rise steadily, and drop as it pleases.

Im using a 35mm alloy radiator, as well as new genuine Toyota water pump and all new gaskets, new ae86 radiator piping, as well as tested Thermostat, and proper coolant.

I got the motor locally, and the previous owner had done a full gasket replacement etc etc before putting it in his car. But following parting the car out, it sat as a spare for approx 2 years.

So im in two minds at the moment, on one hand, im thinking about getting another radiator,

()

one of those ^, because for not much less cost the 35mm radiator can be serviced. But im quietly concerned that it may not be the radiator, and there may be another issue with the motor.

I thought about changing the water temp as well, but a mechanic i spoke to briefly mentioned that they normally wont read at all if at all there stuffed.

any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by pauliee; 5th September 2012 at 04:17 PM.

Name
    Casey
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

What thermostat setup are you using? Fwd or rwd? Also how's the flow of moving air over your radiator?
    Thridly n probably most simple is your thermo fan working at its optimal?

And also check your gauge and sensor to make sure your not chasing ghosts

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

All rwd water setup.

I assume the flow would be normal? Just using a stock clutch fan, radiator sits in a stock position. Only thing that sits in front its the old air con condensor thingo.

Had issues with a gauge previous, but that was due to a faulty tacho. How should i be checking out the gauge etc..

I should mention aswell, Coolant levels dont drop, and its stayed the same green colour this whole time (no discolouration etc.)

Name
    Michael
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

does it go fully into the red on the guage?????, either find someone with a thermo gun(tells temps when you point it at shit, or someone with a good multimetre that has a thermal probe

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

if its head gasket and in water the engine oil should go white like milk..and it should happen/overheat as soon as the car is turned on as it'll just keep eating the fluid from radiator until none left..

if oil is still normal oil colour and fluid is not being drained from radiator, then it probably isn't head gasket if the car is still drivable like normal.

i say flush the water system, re-fill and then bleed the water system correctly so there is little to no air in the system.
    make sure thermo fan is working and you have enough thermo fan to suit..usually 2x10'inch thermo fans to be on the safe side.
    What temperature are we talking about here because you mention it slowly goes up and drops back down..doesn't necessarily mean its overheating.

during winter my car did not go past 70degree, now its getting warmer my car has seen 85degree highest so far, like yours it drops between 70d-85d while driving in traffic.. and i am expecting it to hit 90degree+ in summer

EDIT

these readings are coming from my water temp gauge i installed..and it helps a million
    Last edited by Rice86; 5th September 2012 at 02:11 PM.
    dose

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

yeah generally it'll steadily climb to the last line. anything beyond that and in normally turn it off.

well yeah everythings as per normal, no milky oil and no milky coolant.

well yeah, ive flushed out the system a few times with water. Do you recommend getting that engine flush and running that through it?

Im not actually running any thermo fans, just the stock clutch fan off the water pump. Someones mentioned that possibly the fan is sitting too far away from the radiator? I can get a photo if that helps?

And I dont really have a temp reading, its just the lil old gauge in the tacho. SOunds like my best bets to grab an aftermarket temp gauge and go from there.

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Does then fan have any sort of shroud? Not sure if that would make a difference regarding the extremity you have mentioned.

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

no shroud unfortunately

Name
    Michael
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

thick alloy or open space

if you where air getting drawn through a fan where would you prefer to go???

like people who dont run front bars at track days so there front mount "gets more air" , it does more air around it, not through it

Name
    Michael
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

in saying that it does it when your driving so i doubt thats the main issue, when you bled the system you have the heater on??, also if it was a head like stated above also, when you have it running with the cap off it would normally bubble away,
    if your thinking it your rad and you want ot flush it, take top and bottom hoses off, get a gardening hose going flat chat, ram it in the bottom hose barb and try and seal it with your hands the best you can, so it bhack flushes any shit back out the top (where rad cap goes and top hose barb)
    Last edited by lolwat; 5th September 2012 at 08:12 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast