Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AE86 Handling/Suspension. Your thoughts? Research? What have you done?

Junior Member Aus Silicon Direct's Avatar
    Name
    Sales
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Question AE86 Handling/Suspension. Your thoughts? Research? What have you done?

Hey everyone,

Well some of you may have seen that we were chasing a AE86 shell which we have found and picked up. Now we are planning what to do with the shell for next year with drifting and promotional use! We will be running a SR20DET in it at this stage and trying to decide if we want to run Toyota front suspension, or convert it across to Nissan s13 front end. I have had a brief discussion with Matty Russell about him running S13 front gear, but we want more options and your thoughts about this.

Should we stay with the Toyota Suspension and just modify the Cross Member to mount the SR20? Or should we convert it to S13 Suspension in the front end? If we do convert to S13, there will be more track gained which will effect what size wheel and tyre we can run on the front. At this stage we are looking to run a 15x8 all round but with changing to S13 front end I am not sure if we will be able to run that size wheel on the front.

We will be getting modified knuckles either way that we go also. What are your thoughts on springs rates to run as the car will be running on coilovers also!

All thoughts, suggestions, ideas, or shit dribbling will be very helpful!

Cheers,

Barnzy
    Aus Silicon Direct

Veteran
    Name
    Jake
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Pretty much from what I have read there is a bit of work in getting s13 front to drive as good as the standard gear with coilovers, ect. Some people love s13 stuff.
    "Not all commodore drivers are wankers, but all wankers drive commodores"

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

If you're serious then go for the shockworks gear, you can't beat it for value, handling and bling factor too.

Chat to Chris (shift_rook) and he'll give you advice wether to keep the s13 gear or retain the ae86 stuff
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

i've got shockworks too, cant beat it really. will easily stand up to your motor sport needs, fraction of the cost of bigger brands and you'll have local tuning support.

Junior Member Aus Silicon Direct's Avatar
    Name
    Sales
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

I have looked into the shockworks gear and Matty R almost highly recommended them... Just need to decide whether or not to stay with the Toyota front end or convert to Nissan. I have done a ke70 with a S13 front end but didn't get much time driving it.

Keep the thoughts coming guys! Cheers for the comments so far!!!

Veteran
    Name
    John
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

ae86 setup is superior..the only benefit you gain by going s13 is easy sr20 and big brakes...

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Just jump on the T3 website and order everything they make for the ae86, That's what I did and was the best move ever! Street driven car so can't go too crazy.

As for coilovers, anything from off the shelf to full custom

If you don't have a budget then anything is possible, but I say ae86 aftermarket support is large enough that it's proven to win competition all over the world already with now easy off the shelf items.
    dose

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

dont do that, better products are available from local suppliers and sponsors on the forums

to the OP - will talk to you on msn about set up advice etc
    - 10 year anniversary Tshirts http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...irts-group-buy -

Garage sale http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...3-autumn-sales Specials on front end kits - pm me

Veteran
    Name
    John
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

^^^ agree with Lawson...worst advice soo far, closely followed by anyone mentioning s13 suspension...

I honestly wouldn't run any of the t3 suspension in my car if it was given to me...some of the engine related products however are magic and I do have a couple of those...

Veteran
    Name
    Jake
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I've got T3 rear end bits, RCA's and cambertops and all have been good so far.
    "Not all commodore drivers are wankers, but all wankers drive commodores"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast