Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Grip tips/lessons

Question Grip tips/lessons

Hey guys, you know how there's a Drift Bible....is there a Grip Bible? Or some sort of video to learn basic skills? I've already tried the old fashioned way, I really need some pointers.

Eat. Sleep. ... Eat?

Gunner

best way to learn is by doing, join a car clu, go out and try some events, someone will always be happy to tell you where your going wrong

Senior Member Chairs with flares's Avatar
    Name
    Jeff
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

If you really want it outlined; read the Physics of Racing series of articles by Brian Beckman. It breaks everything down into small understandable chunks.

:-)
    J.

Thanks guys, so far someone's told me that racing in just one lane of the road is not good, although I'm scared of using both. By the way, has anyone here been to a driving school, and is it worth it?

Eat. Sleep. ... Eat?

Clint

From personal experience, you'll learn a heap more from actually getting out of the car and track marshalling - you'll see the different lines people take, different entry speeds to corners, and their attitude when exiting too, all of which you can correspond to their times. This gives you a great start to becoming a better/faster driver, and it's free aside from your time.

Once you step into the car, my basic recommendations are to let the car's torque work for you, and slow everything down. By that I mean - let the car do the work. It's all well and good to fight a car around a corner, but it won't be fast. Pick your entry speed and your line and you'll fast discover the "fast line" around a corner. it is after all the corners that will improve a driver's lap time - as Colin McRae once said - "Straights are for fast cars, corners are for fast drivers"

All the above information is great to get you out there and having fun, but tuition from an experienced driver is also a great help, and tuition for several experineced drivers is even better - you'll soon pick what works for your driving style.

My experineced recommendation is to start driving in some local motorkhanas/speed series near you. Also volunteer to marshall for these events and correlate the cars times to their approach to corners and exit strategies - you can help yourself as much as any instructor can in this environment.
    Last edited by Clint; 22nd March 2009 at 12:57 AM.

Name
    Joel
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Word Clint (aka CLG?)

No better way to learn something then getting out there (on the track) and giving it a go. If you are really concentrating and taking it all in, you will learn many ways to improve your lap times before requiring instructions of how to really cut them down.

The two basics that I believe are important to developing faster grip driving when starting out are:

1. Smooth is fast: Try and always give smooth input into the car, especially with braking, steering and gear changes. When down-shifting, learn to match the engine and gearbox revs for each gear. This gives better braking and corner entry control whilst being gentle on your car. I've seen in horror club days at Mallala where so many drivers in cars such as porsche GT3's can not rev match coming into a tight corner. It is very jerky, uncontrolled and can tear shit out of your engine and box.

2. Find the right line, and maximise your speed out of the corner: Self explainatory. As Clint said, you can pick up very quickly watching people drive a track to see what is and isn't a fast line through a corner.

I'm not a great grip driver myself as I have mainly focused on drift, however there are many common skills shared between the two disciplines (as with any two driving disciplines).

Good luck, and have fun!
    AE86 4AGE "Slowly but surely"

Name
    Matt
    State
    South Island
    Country
    New Zealand

How do you do this?

Name
    Dim
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

heel + toe braking. Bump the revs up while the clutch is in and youre applying the brakes.

Name
    Marko
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

A simple tip from some pro guys at the track when i first started was count around 2 seconds from when you would normally turn in on the road, then turn in.

and smooth is fast.
    But get out there on some track days, most people will help you out if you go to a good one. I had some auscar driver who was showing a guy in his new 360 how to drive offer to jump in the passenger set in my car and show me some tricks, which was a great experience.

Name
    Dean
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

A rather well known racer once told me his 'secret to his success was he set the car up to understeer just a little....he is famous for his corner speeds..

Otherwise just go to a trackday with experienced fellas and get some tips...
    ex-SR20 Stanza and now MX83 Cressida Driver

John 1:12

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast