State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Default JDM T series rear caliper rebuild

Car - KE70

motor / part in question - Rear Brake Calipers

problem - Seals split and need replacing

occurs/started when (if applicable)- when I pulled the diff apart after it arrived from qld

personal situation (if applicable)- confused?

So I recently acquired a t series LSD disc to disc rear end. I'm in the process of cleaning it up and replacing brake parts before fitting it to the car.
    After pulling the calipers off the diff I've discovered a couple of the seals have split and need replacing.
    Dave from AJPS has said that he can supply me with new seal kits. I've pulled the main piston out of the calipers but can't see how the main seal is kept in? There seems to be a metal ring holding it in place but there it doesn't seem to be a circlip?
    Just wondering if anyone has pulled these apart before and has any advice in how to go about this?

Name
    Daniel
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I did mine with seal kits from Dave not to long ago.

There is no circlip for the seals, just a metal ring that holds them in.
    The ring has a split In it, so it's not a complete circle.
    I just used a small screw driver to pop and twist it out, and the same for putting back in, just being careful not damage the seal itself.

The big issue with the rear calipers is that thread that the piston screws on to.
    There's a circlip in there that requires you to compress the spring to get it back in. And because that thread is an odd pitch you can try and try like I did but you need a special tool from Toyota to put it back in.

I got the shits and took them around to heaps of brakes places and they all said they had no idea how they'd put them back together, so I ordered the tool from Toyota, lucky enough they had one in stock, still took a month to get to me.

This probably isn't all that clear, sorry. Get a hold of the workshop manual and it makes it much clearer.

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

the piston re-install pissed me off, I didn't rebuild mine which i should of had at the time..

But anyways I had to take the piston out to inspect wtf was going on as it wouldn't screw in while doing a brake pad change, it is possible to screw the piston back without some special tool just FYI as I did it on my own, just a lot of rage and swearing and force once it screws onto the thread it should screw in again as normal..
    dose

Name
    Daniel
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

The piston isn't the hard part to put back in, it should just screw down on to that thread.

You need the tool when you take them right apart, you have to compress that spring to get a circlip back in inside the housing. It's gay as aids.

Name
    Karl
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Gay! Well I guess I'm gonna have to try and do it with out the special tool!!
    Thanks for the advice fellas I'll let you know how I go!!

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Haven't done it in an ae86 but have done it in an aw11. A quick search on toyodiy says the spring and retainer are the same part number.

I did it without the sst. You can compress the spring using a cable tie and then after getting the circlip back in, cut the cable ties and fish them out with pliers. Had to resort to this because toyota said it'd take a month to get the sst in.

one on the left

Also you should buy one of those cube caliper unscrew tool things from super cheap auto. In my experience, they do not unwind with needle nose pliers

Name
    Daniel
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Haha yes this is what I tried to do also but could never make it work, I lost my shit at it and just ordered the tool.

Name
    Karl
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Okay thanks again guys!!
    Yeah that cable tie idea looks good in theory but I'll see when I give it a go!!
    Cheers!

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

doing this at the moment, glad I stumbled in and noticed the need to compress the spring before replacing the circlip, would have done my head in..
    ------------------>>>Need something welded locally??? Hit me up, I may just be able to help<<<------------------

BENT MECHANIX - Garage 20: