Thread: blinded's KE70 build

Name
    Alex
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default blinded's KE70 build

Well, I never had a thread on the old forum, but I thought I may aswell start one on here for kicks.

Basically, Got a beat up '83 sedan as my first car for $500 and it had 8 months rego on it, minimal rust so was good in that respect. Looked like a bucket of shit and handled much the same, so my old man and I panel beat it to remove the many dints, then primed and painted a new coat of blue. The usual tacho dash went in it too as well as a head unit and a couple of old speakers. This was the first step of the ever flowing project.

After that, I got a hold of a 32/36 Weber of a mates Lseries and put that on the pos 4K as the standard Aisan carb was rooted. Then I decided to put off doing engine work, and focus on getting the suspension sorted first. Out with the standard front end and in went Xt130 LCAs and struts which I converted to coilovers. Decided that the pug/hilux conversion was not necessary so I just used the 2 spot corona calipers and discs. Rear wise was just some commy kyb shocks and ajps springs.

Finally got around to doing engine work in the last few months. Got a 5K in need of a rebuild for cheap. So I did a rebuild on it, regound the cam, new valve springs, pushrods replaced with new ones as the ones in it were bent like a banana, rings, bearings, seals etc. Also got a pair of DHLA40s and extractors to top it off. Pretty much as it stands now, the enigne is done, and everything fitted, but it needs a tune something shocking. Carbs need to get jetted by a pro as the tune that my old man and I did is only good enough to get it from A to B but not for daily driving. sounds tough as though, love the sound of carbs.

On the to do list is to get the engine running right, rebuild coilovers as I have some short stroke agxs here, and roll/flare guards to accommodate new rims.

15x8.5 +10 for the rear. Still searching for a set for the front.

That's basically it. The car is my daily and also built to slide. Hoping to get it reliable in time for the local tarmac motorkhana coming up late next month.

Looking into starting another ke build next year some time, as ca/sr builds look bloody fun.

I guess that's it about the car. Feel free to say what ever about it, good, bad, meh. Enjoy.

Alex

Name
    Bart
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Nice looking ride. Ive seen ya driving round a few times.

Name
    Joe
    State
    NT
    Country
    Australia

very nice
    hit us up with more pics and updates.
    nice to see a hot 5k. what specs are in the cam?
    kind of sounded like 272
    joe

Name
    Alex
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Well, pretty much forgot about this thread, but, I have an RDO and am bored so here's an update of how she currently stands.

Got the engine running well now. Having a decent person tune it was the best thing I ever did. Also did away with the dodgy clutch fan and went to a thermo with temp switch.

Basically got sick of crappy lock with the corona steering arms so some new power steering arms went in to fix the problem.

Sold the pair of SSR rims to a mate (green/blue coloured 1600 in Nissan thread) to make way for a full set of Impul Mesh. 15 x 7 -2 and 15 x 7.5 +5.

Had mad fitment issues on the front thanks to the wack corona front setup, so I went to normal KE70 LCAs again and got camber tops to help tuck the tyre under. Still am yet to flare/roll the front guards, but will get to that soon enough. Also need a wheel allignment something shocking.

Thinks that's it really. Nothing overly exciting going on with it.

Engine:

Obligatory pictures:

Plans are:

Build a Gze or Gte over next 6 months as I've very much been bitten by the power bug. The 5K is good fun, but I'd like to have a little bit more power to play with. Also watching Roo's 0-120 video made me want do it even more. That shit looks fun.

Other than that, I think I am happy with the car...for now.

joeschmo, if you do actually read this, sorry for late reply. Cam is a Tighe 104 grind.

-Alex out.

Name
    Alex
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Oh yeah seen you a few time too Bart. Car looks good. Saw it again sat? night at kooringal caltex, but I was in a different car.

Name
    Alex
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Clear Dash:

Little bit of dust on it though.

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

ahh! that looks awesome mate

will definately look into doin that

i love the wheels mate,

how does the 4k go with those carby's?

Name
    Alex
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Yeah goes pretty hard I guess. Sort of don't have anything really to compare it too, apart from a stock 4k. Absolutely shits all over a 4K, but I wish I had experienced a 4age so I could compare it to that. Sounds good though, and even better past 6000rpm. Makes it to 100km/h easy as now Winding second out near gets me there.

Wheels I like too, but at the moment they are causing all sorts of grief at the front. They scrub on the bottom of the front guard, even with fuck all caster. Will look into that soon as I have a sloppy steering rack to fix first. It is just a continuous pain in the arse lately. One thing goes wrong which leads to another, then another and another...

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

ah sorry man

5k hey, i always wanted to see how a 5k went compared to the 4k.

my old 4k was .....slow....as i dont think my 4k even went to 6k..

Name
    Alex
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

And with that I finally started to get some motivation again.

Need to cut and polish/blend in the paint a bit, then get a wheel allignment done, and it'll be on the road again. Then, all that remains to be done, is get some RCA's and section the struts so I can make use of my short stroke inserts which I have had here for agggges. Need to find some one with a Mig to weld the struts for me though, as I havn't got one/can't weld for shit. After that I think I will have it basically done to my liking.
    4K > 5K > Worked 5K > 4AGE > 146RWKW 4AGTE > 210KW SR
    Alex's 4AGTE KE70
    Rest In Peace Old Faithful Corolla-Taken Too Soon 2006-2013...
    Or so was thought...
    Now with a new lease on life will be back bigger and better!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast