PDA

View Full Version : Painting a Car

Low Style
24th August 2009, 02:09 PM
Hey guys,

With painting a car what type of compressor is best to use? also best paints and where to get them in brisbane?

ke70dave
24th August 2009, 02:17 PM
air compressors are generally the best kind.

what do you mean by "best" paints?

might want to narrow your questions down a bit!

ive painted a car, so have a small idea, but your questions are a bit too broad!

what colour are you thinking? metalic? standard colour? how good do you want it to look?

Low Style
24th August 2009, 02:23 PM
sorry was a rush thread as im at work.

I want to paint my car myself since i have done pretty much everthing else myself.

I want to paint my car in primer and smooth it back and im thinking of a kinda grey colour between primer and gun metal grey. i want it to look good.

i was wondering what kind of paint you use to paint a car ( or what have you used)

I was looking at buying my own air compressor and wondering what size would be good for painting a car. saw a 2.5hp one at supercheap would that work?

Matt-AE86
24th August 2009, 02:30 PM
Find a local paint store. Maybe ask some of your local e7/86 people who you know have painted there cars before where they go. Then go from there. They should be able to suggest everything from paint to gun/compressor.

Nikkojoe
24th August 2009, 02:34 PM
You can paint a car with a 2HP small jobby, but you are limited to a panel at a time. It's not good as the colour can change between mixing so panels will look different shades.

2.5-3hp helps a lot, larger tank size also keeps the pressure up and generally can paint a full side at once.

Also having mates that are painters also helps :)

Low Style
24th August 2009, 02:36 PM
You can paint a car with a 2HP small jobby, but you are limited to a panel at a time. It's not good as the colour can change between mixing so panels will look different shades.

2.5-3hp helps a lot, larger tank size also keeps the pressure up and generally can paint a full side at once.

Also having mates that are painters also helps :)

none of my mates have painted a car one hasnt ever changed oil in his lol.

thanks i think i might get a 3hp one then as i want a half decent paint job.

Is there specific type of paint that is the best to paint the car in?

Chrisso
24th August 2009, 03:02 PM
3hp may require a 15amp plug. Your standard house plug is 10amps.

wideslider
24th August 2009, 03:07 PM
I have painted my old 180 in a 2 pak white in my garage.
It is super toxic and the overspray coated everything in sight.
It was with a 3hp compressor and it turned out really nice but still
had dust in it due to not being in a booth.
I reckon just prep it then send it to a painter then just claim you did it.

ke70dave
24th August 2009, 04:58 PM
[QUOTE=silver styler;130443]sorry was a rush thread as im at work.
QUOTE]

no dramas mate, just makes it a bit easier to reply with some details!

from my (somewhat limited) experience, in order to make a car paint job look good, its 99.99% perperation, and 0.01% painting.

the actual spraying of the paint is actually quite easy (to get it looking ok). but it all comes down to the preperation that you do.

im also at work, so didnt the have time to give a complete response. but when i come around to buy those plastic model kits (skylines) off you i can explain what i know then if you like? you can check out my paint job as well, its not the greatest, but it was a rush job.

just the main thing to consider with air compresses, is the volume, not so much the HP of the pump. you really need to be able to completely use up one "mix" of paint, without having to wait for the compressor to fill up. the gun i used was a top-feed one which had about a 800ml? cup on it. and the compressor i used, i dont know the stats, but i rekcon it was about 1.5m long, and prolly 0.5m in diameter. so whatever volume that is. and i was JUST able to complete the mix before it needed to refill. i could have done with a slightly bigger one, but it did the job (and i borrowed it from my neighbour so it was easy)

the best place to go for tips, is a place in hemmant, called "johns paint shed". its on the main industrial drag there, hemmant road or something maybe? look it up in yellow pages anyway. i spent a few hours talking to that guy when we were painting my car, he gave me an awesome demonstration on the gun (that i bought from him, after he said mine was stuffed). was a really friendly guy and really knew what he was talking about too!

Low Style
24th August 2009, 05:09 PM
Thanks Dave i will look it up.

Mickey H
24th August 2009, 05:40 PM
If you are doing it yourself, stick with acrylic. I'm doing my car in 2pak, and since it was originally painted in acrylic the car has to come back to metal, and sprayed in a 2pak primer or the new paint wont stick properly.

2pak also needs to be painted in a booth, as with acrylic you can kind of get away with it, depending on how good your garage is, so you dont get bugs/other debris stuck to the paint. I'm getting my bro-in-law to paint it as he is a pro, but doing primer and prep myself. Prep is very important, if you dont rub it back properly, and dont wet sand, it will show up on the topcoat. Try and get the biggest compressor possible, I used a 2hp one and it was pretty useless. Hope that answers some of your questions :)

Group A
24th August 2009, 05:49 PM
Hart's on Newman Rd at Geebung sell & mix paint and sell all your painting supplies. Price and and service are very good.

If you're painting in your shed, defintely go with acrylic. 2 pack needs a booth. If you're painting in your garage, make sure you remove everything that you don't want overspray on. Trim, upholstery, plastics etc. They will get overspray on them and you will never get it off.

steroidchickens
24th August 2009, 10:51 PM
any air compresser as long as it has a reg (to seperate the water from the air).
i painted my gold car with a $99 bunnings compresser.

most metalic colours come in 2 pac.
2 pac base coat doesnt need to bake in an oven.

i painted 2 pac base coat and acrylic clear.
if you go acrylic you will need to cut and buff. doesnt really come good off the gun. although for some reason mine come up pretty good and i havent buffed it. haha.

in conclusion, if you want to go 2 pac you will need a spray booth (to do it properly).
or acrylic you can do it in your garage.

steroidchickens
24th August 2009, 10:51 PM
double post.

Vance
24th August 2009, 10:57 PM
i get iso-free 2pak which isnt as toxic as normal 2pak.

slide86
24th August 2009, 11:03 PM
http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29134&highlight=spraypainting

there is so much info in that threads it not funny.

if you dont have a login....well then.....you fail

steroidchickens
24th August 2009, 11:11 PM
i get iso-free 2pak which isnt as toxic as normal 2pak.

still need to bake it dont you?

fu*k how toxic it is.
i mean how many bugs fly into your fresh paint job while it drys haha.

evil86
26th August 2009, 09:57 PM
im an apprientice and from what i've learnt. do it once and do it properly. Yes its all about prep, do it wrong and its gonna be hard to fix and turn out shit. if your noob and first timer stick with 2k solid colours, meaning colours with no metalics. solid colours is shiny straight out of the gun. Use 2:1 ratio with solids (2colour:1hardner, and 10%ish of reducer/thinner) i've spray redsprinters interior and engine bay, turnout out pretty good n shiny. another tips, is to blow area that you want to spray. then wipe dirt/grease/water with presol/thinner and then blow once more before you spray.

REMEMBER ITS ALL ABOUT PREPERATION. good luck

70XIN
26th August 2009, 10:46 PM
jon can i come smell the fumez when you do it?

NIZLAH
26th August 2009, 11:05 PM
Tox feel free to come and inhale the cyanide and lead (40% in the base coat) cocktail when I do mine.... already copped it pretty good when I did the bay a few weeks back.... my neighbour came over and told me to put on a mask lol... hmm yeah next time I will...

kiahn
27th August 2009, 12:11 AM
yeh ive heard stories about my dads friends getting a single wiff of 2 pak and coughing up blood for a week or worse.

btw if your doing alot in one go get yourself a nice big 40-60L tank with 3hp pump,
btw dont forget to also buy a moisture remover so you dont end up with shit in your paint.
goodluck with paint, im doing paint soon too and would love to know how a first timer finds it

NIZLAH
27th August 2009, 11:53 AM
yeah its pretty nasty shit.... cant really avoid getting by it short of a full body suit and fresh air/oxygen supply.......... hence its technically illegal to spray outside of a proper spray both.
I looked into using iso-free 2K and the guys at the paint shop (HARTS slacks creek) said it is shit and they don't sell it, tends to crack and go brittle or something along those lines...

Low Style
8th September 2009, 04:33 PM
im stripping the car back at the moment and going to buy my compressor this weekend.

i will let you all know how i got with it.

NIZLAH
8th September 2009, 06:23 PM
cool....

Tommy_The_Tit
8th September 2009, 08:32 PM
as said previously its all about prep and cleanlyness, you dont wanna start painting and realize you diden't rub an edge or theres little fry ups in the putty that make all your other hard work look up to shit, and go with base colours for your first time they cover and spray alot easier, metalics can be tricky they can look streaky or mottly if not applied right and evenly and sometimes you wont know till its cleared and out in the sun, i just respayed a skyline not long a go in gunmetal gray it took nearly 8 litres of colour just to get it to cover it was f#*king bullshit. if your doing it in your garage id go to a panal shop and ask if you can buy some masking plasitic it comes in 2m wide but unfolds to like 4- 5m just get 15 odd meters and hang it around your shed theres ya booth, with compressers it better to have to much pressure then not enough

NIZLAH
8th September 2009, 09:31 PM
oh yeah bunnings have these plastic drop sheets for $1.50, well worth grabbing a few of those, I used 2 to cover the whole car from over spray when doing the engine bay...

Nic19
17th September 2009, 09:35 PM
hey steroidchicken how does the 2k base and clear acrylic mix?
i'm thinking of spraying my own e7 once i get the flat front on.
do you need to bake the base or just let it dry?
how many coats of base and clear did you use?
i'm just getting all the info i can before i attempt it.

steroidchickens
17th September 2009, 11:33 PM
hey steroidchicken how does the 2k base and clear acrylic mix?
i'm thinking of spraying my own e7 once i get the flat front on.
do you need to bake the base or just let it dry?
how many coats of base and clear did you use?
i'm just getting all the info i can before i attempt it.

you dont want them to mix haha.

nah once the base coat is down and dry, you just want to clear it to bring out the metalic.

i diddnt bake it. not sure if you have to but i have painted a few cars this way.

a couple of base coats, only because the paint i used diddnt cover very well.

i did a fair few coats of clear was expecting to have to cut and buff it.
me being a little inexperienced was expecting to.

but came out pretty good off the gun. wich is strange for acrylic.