PDA

View Full Version : 4age 16v sump gasket change

Waddles
9th September 2009, 09:25 PM
hey people,
my 86 is getting a bit of seepage of oil from my sump gasket, nothing extreme just building up overtime and looking a bit dirty underneath, my car running really good, so just wondering is it easy enough to change the sump gasket?
and cause i have never bought one are they easy enough to get hold of?
it looks straight forward but yeah i willing to give it a go to learn to fix these things, my oil due for change very soon, so wanting to do it then.

if anyone can help i would love the input thanks

shift_rook
9th September 2009, 09:29 PM
jsut try nippin up the bolts firstly, otherwise it's not that difficult, truthfully never done one on a 4age but a fair few other cars, very straight forward undo bolts, take away, clean up ocntact area and apply, maybe a bit of gasket glue if you wanna get carried away

Waddles
9th September 2009, 09:41 PM
yeah i will try tightening bolts and then clean underneath. if still happening i get new gasket. thanks mate

Dylan
9th September 2009, 10:22 PM
4A engines don't use a gasket. Just a silicone type sealer between both sides (sump and windage tray). If using a gasket you'll need two as well as longer sump bolts

Waddles
9th September 2009, 10:53 PM
now i just confused

FoldKing86
9th September 2009, 10:59 PM
now i just confused

dont be

4ac has a listing for a sump gasket but 4ag doesnt.

sump bolts very short, meaning if you gasket it you will need longer bolts.

just remove sump, clean contact area then apply any type of quality sealant

simple really

Waddles
9th September 2009, 11:07 PM
dont be

4ac has a listing for a sump gasket but 4ag doesnt.

sump bolts very short, meaning if you gasket it you will need longer bolts.

just remove sump, clean contact area then apply any type of quality sealant

simple really

ok no worries, i get it. well i just learnt something, i didn't know there was no gasket. thanks i will give it a go :)

Nikkojoe
10th September 2009, 03:04 AM
Correct, there is no gasket, and even 4ac dont use a gasket.

Use a grey based RTV silicone. You may want to loosen the engine mounts and lift the engine to gain clearance between the crossmember and sump.

kronix
10th September 2009, 06:32 PM
i work at toyota and we use stuff called (FIPG) its black, go to you local dealer and pick some up... its good stuff

Wade

Waddles
10th September 2009, 09:44 PM
cheers guys for the info, do i have to lift the engine and loosen engine mounts cause i dont have equipent to do that??

H8CHIR6KU
10th September 2009, 10:42 PM
yeah otherwise you wont be able to clear the crossmember when you pull it out

most importantly after you take the sump off make sure to take the windage tray off aswell and seal that to the motor before you seal the sump back up otherwise it will leak between the windage tray and the motor

awang
11th September 2009, 05:20 PM
i recently have a leak oil sump, no gasket for sure, i use engine jack which i dont know exactly what its call to lift the engine to clear some of the oil sump bolts from the cross member

the engine jack is place between your top absorber, just imagine like a strut bar, then jack the engine, sorry i'm not fluent in english, hope you got the idea of what i'm talking about

sundee
11th September 2009, 05:55 PM
yeah 100% no gasket, and even if it didnt i wouldnt bother! just use gasket goup its perfect! oh and dont go stupid on tightening those sump bolts up, ive seen a few strip before.. not good