PDA

View Full Version : Radiator/cooling options for the AE86

Driftspec
15th September 2009, 10:03 AM
I think it might be time for a new radiator. Had it with the 4AC, and now with the 4AGE it seems to get a bit warm every now and again. I think a flush will help it, as it did go through a bit of coolant which got replaced with water at the time (now there is coolant in the system). But I might need to upgrade along the way.

I'm not sure if it's the original radiator in the car, but let's assume it is. I know (from quick searching) that late 80s Camrys (read Parrots thread on Toymods) and ST165 (iirc) work well. What is easiest to install and run as a direct replacement? What are you guys running?

Leigh
15th September 2009, 10:15 AM
I've got a camry one in there not sure what model it is from but it lines up ok and has twin thermos.
The two probs were the battery had to be swung roung 45 degrees and the top hose didn't line up so I had an alloy connector made up seems to keep things cool even when it's a really hot day.
I'm assuming the fact that the top and bottom hoses are on different sides helps the coolant has to go through the whole rad where as on the standard rad the pipes are both on the same side.

Leigh

ke70dave
15th September 2009, 11:12 AM
im just running a stocko ae71 radiator with my 4age. doesnt miss a beat. stits on 82 degrees no matter what i do to it. maybe like you say yours just needs a good clean.

no real need to upgrade as such if its not needed, its only 1.6L remember.

Matt-AE86
15th September 2009, 11:43 AM
Stock AE71 Radiator is Copper Twin Core. No reasons to be having problem with that.

Driftspec, the first time I ever did a conversion to my first sprinter changing it from 4ac to 4age I had simular issues as yours. It ran a little over middle, most probably 3/4 and I wasn't very happy with that. I had my radiator roded recently (which is something you could have done to yours if it is still in ok condition) so I knew it was most likely not that. I replaced my water pump and thermostat and everything was great.

Have you replaced your water pump and thermostat since getting that motor. Maybe its something you should look into doing to make sure you know its 100%.

Other then that, depending on what situation you are in and how you like to do things I would just replace the radiator with a new one other then custom fitting. Stock radiators are fine for 4AGE and its neat.

Driftspec
15th September 2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks guys.

The only reason I'll replace it is if this one is buggered. It runs fine normally, well below half. Just lately it's been getting warm after a quick drive down the highway. But like I said, I think it just needs a flush and to get coolant back through it.

At this stage, I'm getting it flushed and the rad pressure tested next week. Really hope it doesn't set me back too much.

Thanks for the tips Matt, my mechanic asked me that as well so I think he will look at that as well. Hopefully the flush does the trick.

Although more radiator replacement options would be nice for a reference point of view :)

Rice86
15th September 2009, 02:13 PM
ebay.com

got mine from there...only issue is trying to find a fan that will suit it

check my build thread to see which one im talking about

marvis
15th September 2009, 07:28 PM
ST165 + zipties.

mr.wikid.sik
15th September 2009, 07:31 PM
i got a ae71 for my 86 but nothing lines up too scared to use zipties, can you get away with using zipties to hold the radiator?

Sherlock
15th September 2009, 07:33 PM
I was kinda hoping you'd go for that one of Secret drift haha. Wanted you to be a guinea pig for it because I want one :P

egg_83
15th September 2009, 11:16 PM
st162 rad,
it has good thermos
just use the bottom mounts from the st162 and bolt them in you car then the top mounts on top. You will need new hoses but that easy enough

And for $50 why wouldnt you change to a alloy rad with twin thermos???

I put one in my mates car and its never got above 1/4

Driftspec
16th September 2009, 02:04 PM
I will down the track. Just want it working properly for now.

It is behaving itself now... Touch wood.

Sprinter86
16th September 2009, 02:10 PM
hyandai excel rad? ive got one in my ae86. twin core, alloy, twin shrouded thermos.

If your really keen for some super cooling action, get the camry v6 one, as its huge.

thats my experience anyway

dr1ft-pig
16th September 2009, 02:53 PM
import auto parts ally radiator to suit ca18det s13, very easy install into ae86 and has correct outlets for 4age

300 - 330 new i think.... very good radiators

Nikkojoe
16th September 2009, 03:10 PM
Standard single core radiator worked fine behind all my 86's with 4age's. A brand new single core replacement also worked flawless behind my gze at the track.

S13 ca18 radiators are a good replacement though, but the effect of the radiator is only as good as the condition of the core.

johl
16th September 2009, 11:06 PM
You could add a swirl pot also before upgrading radiator. More coolant capacity may help.

ke70dave
16th September 2009, 11:14 PM
becareful you guys dont run your engines too cold either.

someone said their engine doesnt go above "1/4"

that almsot sounds a bit to "cold"??

you want to keep it around 80-85, apparnetly its optimum temperature.

admitedly it should be the thermostats job to keep it warm, but just keep an eye on it...

Driftspec
17th September 2009, 11:38 AM
^^Thats what I was thinking - don't want the sucker too cold, might cause some more problems than what it solves.

Cheers guys!