PDA

View Full Version : New iPods...

Sherlock
16th September 2009, 12:21 AM
Nano now has a camera, iPod touch has the iPhone interface and pretty much all the cool shit the same as an iPhone without the phone part...

Oh and Classic is back too, same as before but slightly cheaper I think?

Considering a Touch since I'm always bored at Uni so I'd have Wi-Fi with me all the time, and currently like my phone so have no need to upgrade to an iPhone.

Who else has seen them and is considering a new iPod?

.ady
16th September 2009, 01:13 AM
new ipod nano is tempting..its got speaker as well! i alrdy got one but i dno why im buying one :S got an iphone as well pretty good happy with it

Delazy
16th September 2009, 08:26 AM
built in FM radio and voice recorder aswell...

this generation of nano has basically put every other mp3 manufacturer out of the game...only the brand loyal or pure apple haters will buy other products

Mickey H
16th September 2009, 11:11 AM
I bought an iPod classic a few months ago. really good mp3 player, I won't be upgrding to a newer one because i use it just for music, and not all the other little gimmicks.

Rip it
16th September 2009, 01:55 PM
I have a second generation iphone and I hated when I first got it, I guess the transition from nothing but Nokias had a bit to do with it!! But now some 3weeks later it's great, wouldn't have anything else!!
My girlfriend has a new Touch, they are a sick bit of gear also, as mentioned, just an iphone without the phone, she has had ipods since day one and loves the new nano.

gg004
16th September 2009, 02:43 PM
i agree, i'd only ever had nokia but got a new iphone and once u play with it and get used to it, it shits all over any phone i've ever had.

Sherlock
17th September 2009, 05:37 PM
Pretty happy with my phone, and in need of an MP3. The Wi-Fi would be handy during Uni lectures. So touch is perfect for me :P

driftke70
17th September 2009, 07:00 PM
i love the

"better than any phone IVE HAD"

marvis
21st September 2009, 11:11 AM
I had a touch when they first came out.. I sold it, it was pretty average.

AJPS
21st September 2009, 02:38 PM
i bought a sony mp3 player just a 2gig one

was less than half the price of the ipod with similar specs

smaller, USB direct drop and drag (no cords or batteries)

battery last much longer than my mates

and doesnt have the gay apple fag stigma or steal factor all over it

BEST MP3 PLAYER IVE HAD (its true, but im joking)

hasnt fucked up either which is more than i can say for almost every ipod ive known

NOTE: i do not hate apple products

marvis
21st September 2009, 03:35 PM
I used to have a sony one, was pretty sweet. I love how you can drop and drag.

Sherlock
21st September 2009, 05:45 PM
Yeah I was pretty hyped on my little 2gb Samsung player. $50, drop and drag, small, long ass battery. Served me well.

But I love the idea of WI-FI when I'm bored at Uni, plus all those applications to keep me entertained at Uni and bus rides.

AJPS
21st September 2009, 05:57 PM
until 6 months ago i still thought mini discs were cool

i dusted mine off but the battery was fucked beyond all charging

So i trundled off to the sony store to buy a replacement battery

the battery was $75. Same price and size as the 2gb mp3 player

I learned a lot that day

driftke70
21st September 2009, 09:17 PM
mini disc were good,

my dads creative shits all over my ipod for sound quality and it cost less than half.
has drag and drop, no dmr.

Mickey H
23rd September 2009, 10:02 PM
http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Rob/help.png

driftke70
24th September 2009, 01:04 AM
i laughed so hard the first time i saw that.

Chaos Theory
25th September 2009, 10:22 PM
iphones and ipod touches are good for this one reason.

INTUA BEATMAKER. (http://www.intua.net/products.html)
basically an MPC on your ipod/iphone.

HOW TO CHOP SAMPLES WITH INTUA BEAT MAKER.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM1m_irJRIs

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpnl_UIohls

J Dilla Style Beat on Intua Beatmaker. (dudes a complete freak, but his beats are nice)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuTozh_mc1Y&feature=channel_page

driftke70
25th September 2009, 11:02 PM
ive seen a sieko watch do that.

letsgohunting
13th January 2010, 02:06 PM
ive seen a sieko watch do that.

I had one... It sucked hahaha. It looked really cool and the gimmick wow factor was there but in the end it was so brutally limited and used batteries so quickly that I sold it after like 2 weeks.

AJPS
13th January 2010, 05:15 PM
I had one... It sucked hahaha. It looked really cool and the gimmick wow factor was there but in the end it was so brutally limited and used batteries so quickly that I sold it after like 2 weeks.

your ipod?

Flange
13th January 2010, 05:53 PM
I've had a iPod touch for about a week. Best mp3 player I've had. It does the music and it also has all the apps you can download. Some of them can be used whilst listening to music

Having all these extras comes in handy when your bored waiting for something.

Others are probably value for money, but the Touch is cool.

letsgohunting
13th January 2010, 09:44 PM
your ipod?

No my old seiko drum machine watch

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/gimages/2d59e6d3fe7ff7464dd0f86f40ff0d57_image_document_la rge_featured_borderless.jpg

My ipod is the best phone/mp3 player/remote desktop/banking device/digital polaroid/rss news feed everz. Because it's an iphone. full battery charge lasts me about 3-4 days and that's with 5-10 calls a day and 2 hours of ipod use at the gym every night. And it charges from full flat to full charge in about 40 minutes.

Chaos Theory
13th January 2010, 10:57 PM
the battery is shit if you listen to music 24/7 while on safari, but that has to be expected.

and that drum machine watch looks pretty average. its nothing like the fully functioning sampler/multi track interface that is Intua Beatmaker.

driftke70
13th January 2010, 11:32 PM
if your going to make beats you may as well do it properly, dont know what everyones obsession with trying to do things on a smaller screen is.

letsgohunting
13th January 2010, 11:55 PM
the battery is shit if you listen to music 24/7 while on safari, but that has to be expected.

and that drum machine watch looks pretty average. its nothing like the fully functioning sampler/multi track interface that is Intua Beatmaker.

if your going to make beats you may as well do it properly, dont know what everyones obsession with trying to do things on a smaller screen is.

Well the reason that seiko had some cool factor is because it was from the 1980s, and there wasn't really anything like that around back then. The watch has some serious 80s presence on the wrist too. Just wasn't practical at all really.

I agree that music making stuff doesn't have to be small, though it's nice to have digital synth and arrangement stuff on the phone for when I'm waiting around before work etc and not near logic studio on the puter. You can do surprisingly cool stuff with it.

letsgohunting
13th January 2010, 11:58 PM

If you want to make the battery go endurance style, turn the screen brightness down to about a quarter - it's nice having such a good bright screen but that's the main power sapper. When i was in Japan I left screen brightness on just under a quarter and it went for about 9-10 days without charging, but with near constant use.

The other thing is (and it's the same for the older ipods - don't know about the new ones), the battery reserve is MASSIVE. on reserve the old ipod classic and the iphone would last about 8-12 hourse.

Chaos Theory
14th January 2010, 12:02 AM

portability, can chop a bunch of notes from some nancy wilson song tap out a melody. chop up some kicks snares hi hats and bang them in all while im on the bus to work. WIN WIN.

except for the bus bit. but i would rather catch a bus than drive in the actual city.

letsgohunting
14th January 2010, 12:55 AM
portability, can chop a bunch of notes from some nancy wilson song tap out a melody. chop up some kicks snares hi hats and bang them in all while im on the bus to work. WIN WIN.

except for the bus bit. but i would rather catch a bus than drive in the actual city.

I use it just for getting ideas as well, like sometimes stuff just pops in my head and I have to record it really roughly or I can't remember it later. It's a supplement, not a primary system.

Chaos Theory
14th January 2010, 05:34 PM
a piano or guitar synth is hardly any comparison to a full 16 pad sampler allowing you to load, slice, tune and trigger sounds.

Intua also has a step sequencer allowing you to arrange all loops that you may have banged out, so you can add all those little change ups that give a beat/instrumental/song life.

Every sounds you chop(be it kick, snare, guitar note, trumpet, saxaphone or piano loop etc) can be saved in the sound library to be used on another project.

Beatmaker also provides two independent effects channels so you can add reverbs, synchronized delays, EQ etc.

it is this
http://www.audio-depot.com/images/Akai%20MPC1000.jpg

in this

http://images03.olx.com.ph/ui/4/07/26/62850126_2-Apple-Iphone-32gb-3GS-Black-Unlocked-Sim-FreeBuy-2-apple-i-phone-get-1-apple-i-phone-free-Oas.jpg

the screen is also bigger and a lot better on my iPhone than it is on my MPC.