PDA

View Full Version : Can someone fix my rear brakes?

Dave
25th September 2009, 03:54 PM
hey guys just wondering if someone here would be kind enough to give me some tips. I have a jdm disc rear end but the brakes dont seem to lock up. Ive checked the pads and there seems to be still abit of meat left.

I know its a rear disc end and they are shit at locking up but surely they're some way of improving the handbrakes (without just tighten the cable?). Sorry if this has been posted before.

regards,
dave

resol
25th September 2009, 06:58 PM
better brake pads (softer compound), slotted rotors, better leverage.

-dan

ae86
25th September 2009, 07:22 PM
ey mate, try adjusting cables, if it doesnt help u prob got common problem like most
(stretched handbrake cables) needa replace them, also check ur disks if they are glazed

Rhys.
25th September 2009, 09:47 PM
I'll swap, mine are stuck on haha 8|

Dave
26th September 2009, 03:09 AM
thats guys i'll work on it this wkend. 'ae86' what do u mean if the disc are glazed?

Skylar
26th September 2009, 04:27 PM
means they get coated and become smooth, like glass.

You need to work them hard to get this layer off.

R&D Mechanical
26th September 2009, 07:48 PM
Replace the cables i have a full set brand new genuine not sure if felix wants them still pm if you are keen :)

Jip86
27th September 2009, 12:23 PM
the caliper 'floats' on two slides and these could need to be regreased. mine siezed up and the pads wore unevenly and worked poorly. i'll find a pic.

resol
27th September 2009, 04:48 PM
stretched cables dont stop the brakes from working, just means you have to pull the HB further. if you cant adjust it tighter then yes replace them.

glazed pads and disc's will be look shiny, use a course (400-600) grit wet dry paper on the disc with decent pressure, do tight spirals. and use a slightly finer grit (600-800) on the pads, same motion.

a slotted/drilled rotor will help stop the pads from glazing up, help 'clean' the pad of water/dirt/dust etc and also add bite to the brakes. so that would be my 1st suggestion.

softer compound pads will no doubt wear quicker, but thats where priorities come into it.

-dan

ae86
27th September 2009, 04:54 PM
well stretched cables kinda depends how stretched, i had this problem so bad it could slow down my car but only under 50 k's and would only lock up 40% of the time, u can adjust it but only to a certain extent cause pads would be riding discs whole time wouldnt they ? anyway gets to a point where hbrake is too tight for my liking so i just replaced it all.