PDA

View Full Version : cat converter question.

steroidchickens
28th September 2009, 02:55 PM
jdm ae86 coupe.

4age smallport with bigport bits

some dick punched out my cat and i am booked in at the deccw (emissions place) today other wise they cancel the rego.

problem. borrowed a standard exhaust off evan.
came home ready to put it on and take it to test this afternoon, but realised previous owner punched out the cat. and they test the exhaust system for a working cat.

now for my question. does anyone know if a ae92 corolla or similar cat has the same bolt pattern and will bolt up to standard jap ae86 exhaust.

or does anyone have any sugestions? am re-booked in at 8am tomorrow.

any help would be great otherwise beams conversion cannot happen.

fantapants
28th September 2009, 03:02 PM
holy shit thats arse man.... usless post but wish i could help.

ring pete - him or jarrod should have something that could work.

DR86TY
28th September 2009, 03:02 PM
Mate ive been through the same thing.

They kept knocking me back because the catalyc converter was not standard.

I even bought a brand spanker and they denied it.

You would be better off booking in for an emmission test so they can deem what ever cat your running to be legal with emmissions.

Its a total screw around, i gave up and went with the beams conversion and hoping to get that cleared soon.

Good luck man

steroidchickens
28th September 2009, 03:05 PM
but if i get a standard one they should pass it.

what cats did you try?
from the cat back is standard. i have the standard airbox too.

it will be harder to pass with beams wont it?

what ecu u running with beams?

ke70dave
28th September 2009, 03:09 PM
Mate ive been through the same thing.

They kept knocking me back because the catalyc converter was not standard.

I even bought a brand spanker and they denied it.

You would be better off booking in for an emmission test so they can deem what ever cat your running to be legal with emmissions.

Its a total screw around, i gave up and went with the beams conversion and hoping to get that cleared soon.

Good luck man

i think i remember reading a thread about this

that is absolute garbage, they obviously have no idea what a catalytic converter does. and the fact that its useless after a while.

as for the original question mr chickens, woudl it be worth just getting the cat put in by an exhaust shop? prolly only cost $30 or something.

btw how did they police know you had a bung cat? they hook you up to an emissions test on the side of the road?

steroidchickens
28th September 2009, 03:15 PM
i think i remember reading a thread about this

that is absolute garbage, they obviously have no idea what a catalytic converter does. and the fact that its useless after a while.

as for the original question mr chickens, woudl it be worth just getting the cat put in by an exhaust shop? prolly only cost $30 or something.

btw how did they police know you had a bung cat? they hook you up to an emissions test on the side of the road?

guy i purchised the car off got major defected.
i purchised the car in this state.

what they do now. is pull you over and while issuing the defects if your car does not sound standard they send a letter to the epa. then they issue you with a letter saying that the car has to be fully inspected by one of there inspectors. there are 5 in nsw to choose from.

so the police had no idea about the cat, neither did i until 1 hour ago>@
i

ke70dave
28th September 2009, 04:20 PM
guy i purchised the car off got major defected.
i purchised the car in this state.

what they do now. is pull you over and while issuing the defects if your car does not sound standard they send a letter to the epa. then they issue you with a letter saying that the car has to be fully inspected by one of there inspectors. there are 5 in nsw to choose from.

so the police had no idea about the cat, neither did i until 1 hour ago>@
i

gee that sounds nasty.....

hopefully its not the same in QLD!!

"fully inspected" sounds dangerous.

DR86TY
28th September 2009, 04:38 PM
I was pulled up for being to noisy, that was it.

So i went to the epa and when they do a noise check they check for tampering with the emmissions system ( cat converter, intake and charcoal canister) they also check to see what ecu you are running and if its not standard then you will be hit up for that as well, that means if you have jsut forked out 2g to get a decent computer installed and its running better then what it would with a standard you still have to change it all back.

As for cats ive tried, i went to my local and sed buddy i need to pass epa, then he gave me the right cat and sent me on my merry way, arrived at epa with a new cat and everything else fixed up, then the guy told me this isn't a toyota cat converter its not standard.

So now ive got the beams in my car, im going to be using the standard cat converter that comes with the motor ( this is two cats that run in line with the extractors) so this should pass. if it doesn't im going to scrape the whole car and make it my new couch at home :)

The only thing they are looking for is a standard cat converter with a toyota stamp on it, a charcoal canister, standard ecu, standard intake. Also with the exhaust they must be no leaks, most have headers or extractors, a cat, a hotdog and a muffler.

Its a royal push around.

redsprinter
28th September 2009, 04:39 PM
cat converter should be more all less the same .. take yours to a exhuast place ask them for one the same size+ matching flanges... go home weld to suit ... done .

thats what i did ...

Nikkojoe
28th September 2009, 04:55 PM
AE82 4age cats are the same. Bolt up to standard headers and have the same exhaust temp sensor.

DR86TY
28th September 2009, 04:55 PM
unless its standard they will not pass it.

You can still drive the car as long as its between a work shop and place of storage, thats what im doing until i can get it all sorted

Rice86
28th September 2009, 04:57 PM
my mate had to visit the EPA too just a few weeks back...like 2 weeks?...he passed everything execpt exhaust, said was still to loud...its a trueno coupe and ofcorse im sure he didnt have a standard toyota CAT..or anythign standard haha

PeakingDuck is his forum name...he should know a bit more about EPA cause his still being hassled by them

steroidchickens
28th September 2009, 10:28 PM
ok off to epa in the morning. went to wreckers best i could find was a old camry one.
was bolt on flange. they were out so it sits on a bit of an angle. re drilled holes a bit.

all the ae92s and ae82s they had were all weld in type.

fingers crossed.

Rice86
29th September 2009, 12:29 PM
good luck man...

steroidchickens
29th September 2009, 05:41 PM
looks like it passed. will hear back from them tomorrow.
fingers crossed.

Faceplant456
29th September 2009, 10:20 PM
swing by my work when u get a chance we have nothing on this week ... could do a service , wheel alignment , new tyres ... etc. drop by anytime i wanna get a better look at your engine,

steroidchickens
29th September 2009, 11:03 PM
swing by my work when u get a chance we have nothing on this week ... could do a service , wheel alignment , new tyres ... etc. drop by anytime i wanna get a better look at your engine,

will see how i go. pretty busy with work lately. you can come for a drive up to mine if you want.

PeakingDuck
29th September 2009, 11:12 PM
Hey Brad,

I used a cat off a AE92, my guy was a cunt though, I told him I couldn't get my hands on a standard cat, so he said "then it must be from a Toyota and of the same engine capacity".

You should pass with the Camry cat though, if they ask what its from, just tell em AE92 or AE82.

PeakingDuck
29th September 2009, 11:17 PM
They should have given you a Test Results paper at the end of the test, no?

steroidchickens
29th September 2009, 11:34 PM
yeah. they gave me that. said evereything was standard and he said it should pass? but the guy from sydney had to check it out for some reason.

PeakingDuck
30th September 2009, 12:03 AM
Their a PITA aye, i'm assuming the guy in Sydney just has to examine the photo's and give the green light, but you should be all good if the assessor listed everything as 'Standard'.

DR86TY
30th September 2009, 09:46 AM
y did you pass with ease haha.

must be because i have ginger hair

ke70dave
30th September 2009, 01:10 PM
so are you guys telling me, that my $300 brand new high flow catalytic convertor isnt legal?

i find it very hard to belive that they only accept 20year old catalytic convertors for it to pass emissions test?

PeakingDuck
30th September 2009, 09:27 PM
so are you guys telling me, that my $300 brand new high flow catalytic convertor isnt legal?

i find it very hard to belive that they only accept 20year old catalytic convertors for it to pass emissions test?

I wouldn't say it's illegal, but unfortunately in the EPA/DECC's books it is...Their all about stock/factory/standard. And if you don't have that, than you need one of similar make and engine capacity, that's what I had to go through. :unseen:

It's not a emissions test...It is a Inspection of Emission Control Devices meaning ecu, intake, airbox, snorkel, canister, cat etc...If none of those are Factory Standard you fail. :thumbdown:

daily_driven_death_sled
1st October 2009, 12:02 AM
just move to qld :P

Rice86
1st October 2009, 07:52 PM
can i have someones old toyota cat roughly from engines with 1.6L =b

steroidchickens
1st October 2009, 08:17 PM
can i have someones old toyota cat roughly from engines with 1.6L =b

where you from?. you can borrow the one i passed with. but i want it back. just get one from wreckers. like $20.

Faceplant456
1st October 2009, 09:41 PM
hmm i wonder how ill go ... if they pull me up on it that is ... i got my cat from toyota where i was working ... i got no idea what it was from but i got it from toyota ...it was laying around out the back of the detailer's shed. lol
its now welded into my exhaust and isnt coming out unless it absolutely fucking has to ... i dont wanna have to cut and re weld my exhaust again ... i just did that 3 weeks ago to get the fucking cat in there...

fantapants
1st October 2009, 10:21 PM
dont the cats just have to be stamped with an adr number to be legal?

xero
2nd October 2009, 10:30 AM
you see pat, that would be logical. but as richard said its not about what ADR is on it, it has to be factory stardard..

but the laws are so fickle its open to interpretation. so joe blow might roll up in a clapped out vk commo, and pass because its all "standard" even though its 20 years old a complete knackered, but turn up with all brand new shiny stuff which will be much better than the original 20 year old stuff they wont pass you...

then it comes down to the workshop you go to as well.

as an example the granville work shop is a massive turd, and real cunt to deal with as well.