PDA

View Full Version : electrical problem when applying brakes.

lach
7th October 2009, 05:56 AM
hey guys,

i'v just noticed that when i apply my brakes when my headlights are switched off that my park lights come on. I'v been told by a friend that it may be a bad ground. just wondering if anyone has encounted this problem before and how i should go about fixing it.

thanks.

ke70dave
7th October 2009, 07:27 AM
hey guys,

i'v just noticed that when i apply my brakes when my headlights are switched off that my park lights come on. I'v been told by a friend that it may be a bad ground. just wondering if anyone has encounted this problem before and how i should go about fixing it.

thanks.

yer thats a grounding issue.

theres a few chunky grounds in the body loom in the engine bay, near where the coil is (i think).

also there are a few grounds associated with the rear lights, in the boot. id be making sure they are all in good order.

Hen may possibly be a nut
7th October 2009, 10:15 AM
I once had this problem after accidentally replacing my brake globes with single filament globes (if memory servesme correctly).

Usually the brake globe has two filaments, one for park lights, and one for the brake lights. When you fit a single filament globe though, the brake lights will feed power to the park lights too. Try pulling out the brake globes one by one and seeing if the problem stops.

Hope this helps, my recollection is a bit hazy.
Hen

DRFTR86
7th October 2009, 10:40 AM
hens on the money, its to do with the brake globes themselves, i had a car at work that with the brakes on, the engine couldnt be turned off, removed the key and engine would run until brake pedal was off, the filaments were touching, and in a fords case, kept IGN+ power to the ecu

marvis
7th October 2009, 11:03 AM
Mine does this :)

Golberg
7th October 2009, 01:08 PM
You've probably put the globes in the wrong way or have the wrong globes.

lach
7th October 2009, 03:45 PM
thanks alot guys. the globes must be the problem because i just changed them the other day with some spare ones i had. I'll head to supershit and get some twin filament ones.

Javal
7th October 2009, 08:12 PM
Yeah, all xE7x and AE86 brake / taillight globes are dual filament stop/tail types.

Don't use single filaments globes!

I had this issue once as well, turned out my earth in the boot for my taillight clusters had rattled off. clean surface, bolt in place, win.