PDA

View Full Version : Thermo fan wiring

quoccy
15th October 2009, 08:00 PM
I want to wire up a thermo fan to run all the time when the ignition is on for jdm 4age AE86
Its going to go through a relay
I just don't know what the ignition/signal wire looks like or where it is

thanks for the help

Skylar
15th October 2009, 10:08 PM
Use the black/yellow wire at the voltage regulator plug (6pin) to go to terminal 86, ground 85.

30 to battery, 87 to fan.

quoccy
16th October 2009, 02:04 PM
Use the black/yellow wire at the voltage regulator plug (6pin) to go to terminal 86, ground 85.

30 to battery, 87 to fan.

Its for a 4age, doesn't it have a internal voltage regulator?

resol
16th October 2009, 02:40 PM
why do you want your fan running all the time? you should run a thermo-relay which will turn on with variable temperature.

grab ignition from the key barrel, inline fuse to the thermo relay, wired direct to the fans, then to earth. you can buy these style kits from jaycar etc.

^ thats one way to do it. you can grab ignition power from many spots (cig lighter, stereo, etc) but direct from the barrel is best.

what im doin with my car is installing my own fuse box to run fuel pump, fans, gauges, h/u. run direct power from the batt into a 14v relay NO (fused), with switch wired direct from barrel (acc). then run each circuit through this fuse box. this isolates your wiring from factory, negating issues of burning out your dash ...... :s

-dan

quoccy
16th October 2009, 02:45 PM
why do you want your fan running all the time? you should run a thermo-relay which will turn on with variable temperature.

grab ignition from the key barrel, inline fuse to the thermo relay, wired direct to the fans, then to earth. you can buy these style kits from jaycar etc.

^ thats one way to do it. you can grab ignition power from many spots (cig lighter, stereo, etc) but direct from the barrel is best.

what im doin with my car is installing my own fuse box to run fuel pump, fans, gauges, h/u. run direct power from the batt into a 14v relay NO (fused), with switch wired direct from barrel (acc). then run each circuit through this fuse box. this isolates your wiring from factory, negating issues of burning out your dash ...... :s

-dan

My cars a daily, so need to sort something out quickly so I can drive it while I work out a proper solution.

thought I could get a ignitoin signal/power from somewhere in the engine bay so there would be less wires going everywhere

Skylar
16th October 2009, 03:26 PM
You have a jap AE86 or a aus AE86 with a JDM 4A-GE?

There's power at the positive terminal of the coil.

takai
16th October 2009, 03:30 PM
Positive terminal of the coil, or L wire on the alternator (only when the engine is running).

Dont draw fan power from these though.

quoccy
16th October 2009, 03:52 PM
Its a JDM AE86 with 4age
think i'll run it off the positive terminal of the coil
Do i still wire it up like you said in your post Skylar

when I go to repco, do I just tell them I want a relay with 4 pins?

takai
16th October 2009, 04:07 PM
You want a standard SPDT 30A relay. Commonly caled a Horn relay.

Skylar
16th October 2009, 05:47 PM
Yeah, just change pin 86 to coil positive.

quoccy
17th October 2009, 02:09 AM
Sweet, thanks for your help guys!