PDA

View Full Version : whine in steering when turning left

blake.
25th October 2009, 07:43 PM
Car - ae71

motor - 4a-c

use - street atm

problem - there is a whine in the steering and vry slight vibration in the steering wheel when i turn left going hard out

occurs/started when -since i've owned it (may)

any heap would be appreciated as its starting to get annoying.

blake.
25th October 2009, 07:44 PM
sounds like it might be coming from the rack or somthing.

ke_70
25th October 2009, 10:26 PM
im just putting it out there but i would say something internally in the rack because the rack is the only mechanical component theres just a rod that attaches to a spline on the rack

solution- new rack or rebuild that one

dont quote me on that just pointing out the obvious

ke70dave
26th October 2009, 12:04 AM
hmm i would be looking at your wheel bearings first.

jack up the front of the car. and grab hold of the top and bottom of the wheel. and push and pull the top/bottom to try and feel some play in the wheel bearings. try it from left to right as well.

wheel bearings will generally make noise when you load them up. so if you turn a right corner, the left wheel will make some noise if the wheel bearing is stuffed.

also have a look and make sure your wheel nuts are done up tight. (dont laugh its happened to me!). also your wheels might need balancing, some of the weights may have fallen off.

to be honest i don't think it would be the rack (as ke_70 has stated) vibrations are associated with things that are spinning and are out of balance. though check it out just to make sure there isn't excessive play in it.

blake.
26th October 2009, 07:18 PM
yer i'm puttin jdm ae86 hubs in this weekend with brand new wheel bearings,

hopefully that will solve it :)

i rely dont want to have to rebuild or replace the rack :/

Javal
26th October 2009, 07:24 PM
Yeah that'll be wheel bearings if it's a constant 'humming' when turning / veering in one direction. Fix that shit ASAP.

blake.
26th October 2009, 07:32 PM
yer , i only happens when i turn left really hard.

i replacing then anyway :)