PDA

View Full Version : hilux diff into ae86

4A-G3
29th October 2009, 03:33 PM
Hey my friend and me want to put hilux diff into an ae86 and a ae71.
there exactly the same on the rear end.
Just wondering what is needed and all the parts and how do we make the 5 stud on the hilux diff back to 4 stud.

Whats involved in doing the conversion?
Whats the best & cheapest way of doing the conversion?

Konakid
29th October 2009, 03:51 PM
Use an F series diff

They are already 4 stud, much lighter, still very strong.

Someone will have to jig the stock diff to swap all the mounts over to the new diff, looking at around 1000bucks then get a custom tailshaft made up looking at 300 or so. sort out handbrake cables, brake lines.

Golberg
29th October 2009, 08:09 PM
Well said. There is no need to go G series unless you're planning on turning the thing into a drag car.

If you need an F-series I can hook you up with one too. PM me if you're interested

Sleeper
30th October 2009, 12:41 AM
Hey Guys,

Sorry to hijack the thread but how much power are you talking for the G series? I'm aiming around 250-280 rwkw in an sr20 converted ae86.

Let us know your thoughts and would love some more info on the diff you got golberg!

ke70dave
30th October 2009, 11:27 AM
Use an F series diff

They are already 4 stud, much lighter, still very strong.

Someone will have to jig the stock diff to swap all the mounts over to the new diff, looking at around 1000bucks then get a custom tailshaft made up looking at 300 or so. sort out handbrake cables, brake lines.

1000 is a bit much, but it is exy.

we put a torago diff in a mates 86 (ca18det), pretty sure torago is F series.

either way it was huuUUUUGgeee compared to S or T series. prices went something like this.

diff purchase from wreckers: 300
conversion of mounts by a fabricator: 450 (sacrificing an S series for the mounts)
1 piece tail shaft, brand new uni joints: 300

this will get you rolling around on a massive diff.

this is still with the standard open diff, though we got it welded up at some stage.

i cant remember what we did with the handbrake cables, i think we just modified the standard ones, or got something else from the wreckers that fit.

the drum brakes on the thing were like 13", absolutely massive.

xero
30th October 2009, 11:29 AM
Hey Guys,

Sorry to hijack the thread but how much power are you talking for the G series? I'm aiming around 250-280 rwkw in an sr20 converted ae86.

Let us know your thoughts and would love some more info on the diff you got golberg!

F-series should be fine. but a G-series would be better...

4A-G3
30th October 2009, 03:40 PM
yea we were undecided on hilux or tarago . tarago is 5mms to big tho where as the hilux diff is the same size as the s and t series diff

Konakid
30th October 2009, 04:08 PM
its fuck all for a much lighter diff.

Can get basically any ratio you want in F series.

Fit Toyota Altezza LSD's

Dont have to fuck around with 5 stud.

Hokey
31st October 2009, 11:37 AM
for more than 200kwatw i'd go hilux. also f series are quite hard to find parts for.

you can also get ratio's in hilux diffs from 3.9 to 5.2 if you want.

if you're in vic we can get mounts swapped over for 300. done on a proper jig and everything

steroidchickens
31st October 2009, 06:05 PM
i still dont see the point of putting a hilux diff in. what tyres you going to be running.
i used to have 210rwkw running 205/50r15 toyos with an F series gave it a pretty hard time. never missed a beat
cars are only light so unless you plan to get that much power to the ground. really bother for the extra work money and the extra weight.
unless you were using it for drag racing with slicks.