PDA

View Full Version : faster 4k

purple70
6th November 2009, 08:32 PM
hey. i have a stock 4k in my 1983 ke70

was wondering what can be done to make the engine faster it seems to be lagging quite a bit recently on take off and at start of gear changes...

is there anything simple which can be done to get better acceleration.

in saying this i dont mean a new engine.

cheers...

Javal
6th November 2009, 08:44 PM
New Plugs + filters, some 98 octane fuel and crank some timing into it.

From there, you can transplant in a 5K (bolt in), shave the head, put a cam in it and a bigger carb.

None of this will net any ridiculous power.

Roo.
6th November 2009, 09:00 PM
bore it out 80thou, new piston get everything balanced, cam, full port& polish and shave on the head, stronger valve springs, twin dellertos, extractors, electric dizzy, electric fuel pump with fpr.

should have alittle bit more go after that

Javal
6th November 2009, 09:05 PM
And for that money you could put a 4AG in, too.

My philosophy on K motors is that most people who warm them over want as much as they can for as little as they can.

Hence why having a head ported and polished, new O/S pistons and twin carbs aren't my suggestion list.

Gav / D1 daveys' old 5K, rebuilt, shaved head, big cam, single carb made 48kw atw, which is very respectable for a sub $500 motor.

Javal
6th November 2009, 09:33 PM
how much do twin dellertos cost?

where can u buy them from?

would car shops order them in?

Unless you have a hot / race motor you will not need twin dellortos or twin sidedraughts of almost any description, and you will infact, make minimal power gains putting them on a standard motor.

R&D Mechanical
6th November 2009, 09:37 PM
48kws? lol it was 40 haha sooo not worth it, save for a 4age :)

my cam so so lumpy lol would idle a stock carby haha

jay70
6th November 2009, 09:38 PM
what cars should i be looking in for a 5k? early lite-ace or something?

Konakid
6th November 2009, 09:44 PM
you will spend over 2K and make as much power as a stock 4ac.

waste of time.

Roo.
6th November 2009, 11:48 PM
i got a worked 4k in my ke20, havent had its tuned or dyno yet but wouldnt see it put out more then 60rwkw. this is what i have

4k engine with fresh rebuilt
bored out 60" with new ACL pistons
Ported & Polished Head
double valve springs
Tighe Cam grind
dual 40mm dellorto dhla (fresh rebuild) on a lynx manifold
tuned length extractors and 2" exhaust system
Crow Cams Electronic ignition
Electric dizzy

i didnt build it but got recipets for $4000 for parts, port&polish and assembly

i spent 4k putting a 4agze in my ke70 and i know which one is making a shit load more power

Sam-Q
7th November 2009, 08:02 AM
you need to have a look on Rollaclub they have the info you need. That said though I am with Konakid, I think a 4Ac is completely superior to any K engine. For the money it would take to upgrade you could just fit an more competent engine

bigm
7th November 2009, 08:16 AM
your 4k because ur 4agze doesnt run?? :P

ke_70
7th November 2009, 09:22 AM
i was thinking a 3k head, gemini carb, advance the timing as much as you can or mabey bolt a turbo on

Rice86
7th November 2009, 07:00 PM
so after all this, the best bang for buck to get that extra kick in the K motors is 98 octane fuel...everything else is a complete waste of time and money

ke70dave
7th November 2009, 07:31 PM
the only real advantage that 4k's have is that they are very easy to work on, and you can get a complete replacement engine for $100.

which i guess is half the reason they are so popular to mod. they are essentially indestructible if you keep the oil and water up to them, which is prolly the other half.

rollaclub.com is where you wanna head for all your 4k needs

specifically this link for starters

http://www.rollaclub.com/faq/index.php?title=Tech:Engine/K_Series/How_to_build_a_tough_K_motor

squish_m8
8th November 2009, 03:06 PM
just advance the timing as much as you can and run premium.

at the moment the 4k in my wagon pulls alot harder and smoother than the 4ac in my pano. so 4ac's aren't always better :P

ae71
8th November 2009, 03:14 PM
4ac's have a habbit of running badly.

stock carb is poo.

while we are on the subject of junk motors, a 3tc are a top motor. lots of toque, quite tough, reasonably good head/ports for a poo motor.

guessing your on P's or something so a conversion of any kind is out of the question?

wntdae86
8th November 2009, 03:35 PM
did you buy josh mcsides old one ???

adm86
15th November 2009, 01:18 AM
i was thinkin a 5k in a ksev too but i was wondering if i went a 4ac would it bolt straight in like the 5k? cause if it didnt it would be harder to find another one if it blows as opposed to gettin ur hands on a 4k/5k
thanx adam

starni_boy
15th November 2009, 10:02 AM
i was thinkin a 5k in a ksev too but i was wondering if i went a 4ac would it bolt straight in like the 5k? cause if it didnt it would be harder to find another one if it blows as opposed to gettin ur hands on a 4k/5k
thanx adam

4AC will NOT bolt in like a 4k/5k in a ke70. 4k/5k is a straight swap because everything is already there. If you want a 4AC you'll need:

AE71 pedal box
4a crossmember either AE86 or AE71
T50 G/box crossmember
T50 gearbox
4a engine mounts/t50 gearbox mount (rubber)
4a engine
T series front half tailshaft onto your rear half

That's off the top of my head. I know I have forgotten things, but did you even try a search on this? 30 seconds gone from my time and I found you this.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=335&highlight=ke70

rthy
15th November 2009, 10:16 AM
i think this is the faster 4kc
http://images04.olx.com.ph/ui/1/77/83/12337483_1.jpg
or sr20

Sam-Q
15th November 2009, 10:25 AM
just advance the timing as much as you can and run premium.

at the moment the 4k in my wagon pulls alot harder and smoother than the 4ac in my pano. so 4ac's aren't always better :P

apples to apples my friend, I am sure something is wrong with the 4ac or it hasn't also received the same love in servicing and timing.

adm86
16th November 2009, 01:41 AM
ahhk thanx mate.. yeh nah im jst toyin with ideas il look round next time, its just the first time id come across a 4a-c upgrade in a 70
thanx for the info man