PDA

View Full Version : f series up grade

1988whitey
27th November 2009, 12:44 PM
im currently looking in to going f series upgrade for my ke70.

i have found a f series housing compleate, axles brakes the whole lot including the f313 lsd that has been drop out of an ma61 supra.

my question is that all i need to do is get the mounts changed? if not what other mods would need to be done to get this to fit and also what is the size of the track compaired to the t series that im running now.

all help much appreciated.

thanks

todd
27th November 2009, 02:13 PM
ma61 has IRS.
have fun with that lol.

if its solid axle, then u might want to find out what its from before u go mucking around. just to be sure of course.
that way we can tell you track difference etc

todd
27th November 2009, 02:19 PM
ps, there are two f313's listed by toyota.

one is from an imported solid axle GT model ra25 celica (i highly doubt you will find one, but if u have, then use it because its perfect). the width is 1365mm and has a 3.9 final drive and clutchpack lsd from factory.

the other f313 listed is from the ma61 which is IRS, so unless u intend on fitting that whole system to a ke70, then its not the rear end setup for you.

and yes, once u find the correct solid axle F series rear end, all you will need changed are the mounts and possibly the spring seats. and a diff shop will be able to do this for you for around 300-600.

there is ALOT of info on the net for toyota rear end diffs. do some searches and then decide what u need and go find it :)

Sam-Q
27th November 2009, 03:55 PM
well a custom tail-shaft is a step for one. As for width measure flange face to fange face on the outsides. Stock is 1310mm

redsprinter
27th November 2009, 04:17 PM
i thought the lsd from the sold and irs would be the same.

todd
27th November 2009, 06:19 PM
as far as i have read, they are very slightly different. search on toymods would show the info though. just cbf right now

Hen may possibly be a nut
27th November 2009, 08:21 PM
Whitey - There are a whole bunch of F series diffs. You need to be more specific about which one you have (eg track could be anywhere from the same to much wider depending on which model it came from). I hope it's a live axle housing and not an IRS setup.

However an IRS centre will fit in a live axle housing. I've had both an MA61 centre and an Altezza centre in an MS112 Crown housing.

And as for what you need to do, have a read around, I'm sure it's discussed either here or on the net elsewhere. The basics are:
- Change mounts to suit so you can bolt it in (try and get pinion angle right)
- Get suitable tailshaft made
- Sort out handbrake cables
- Check brake bias and fix if required
- Make sure the new, bigger diff doesn't hit the floor/exhaust
- Make sure your breather works
- Do skids without worrying about breaking your diff.

Hen

sundee
28th November 2009, 10:08 AM
and if u dont want a custom tail shaft just change the yoke to one from a T series an use an 86 tail shaft

todd
28th November 2009, 09:19 PM
for about the millionth time, a ke70 sedan tailshaft is inseperable.

sundee
29th November 2009, 01:50 PM
^ steriodchicken uses stock 86 tail shafts with his F series

todd
29th November 2009, 04:04 PM
yes an ae86 jdm tailshaft will work. provided he is using a t50 (which the OP hasnt even mentioned so i was on the presumption he had a k4/50 box).

to be honest, i think we scared him off anyway lol.

sundee
29th November 2009, 04:30 PM
haha..

1988whitey
30th November 2009, 10:12 PM
nar no one has scared anyone off lol i still want f series but by the sounds of it i gotta buy the right one from the start and it will save me headaches. i should have bought steroidchickens one he was selling just didnt jump on it when i sore it. for the record im running w series box also .

sundee
1st December 2009, 07:29 AM
Mk 2 corona F same length as stock 86 or 70 - rare find
Tarago - is longer- cant remember how much.. still good choice. can always get shortened.

Hen may possibly be a nut
1st December 2009, 08:08 PM
Or simply enjoy the track increase. Everyone wants wide and fat, so a slightly wider diff is no big deal.

Hen

Rip it
1st December 2009, 09:00 PM
Mk 2 corona F same length as stock 86 or 70 - rare find
Tarago - is longer- cant remember how much.. still good choice. can always get shortened.

F series out of YR22 Tarago is 30mm wider overall, 15mm per side, I'm just going to pump my guards (again).
Also, you can't shorten the axles because of the machined taper that is about 50mm long before the spline starts, unless of course you want to shorten in by 100mm, and you would have to ask yourself why.

Shame your not in Tassie, I just finished a Jig for changing all the mounts.