PDA

View Full Version : Cant get car to kick over.

DAMO46
29th November 2009, 04:28 PM
Car - JDM AE86

motor - 4AGE BT20v

problem - Recently done an engine conversion, and now i cant get the car to turn over.
Its not fuel or spark, its that the starter motor doesnt work?
I have a couple of starter motors ive replaced it with but still no luck, im thinking its the way its connected there must be a fault.

Any help?

Vance
29th November 2009, 04:31 PM
make sure its earth up properly and try bypassing the switch and just feeding the power direct from the battery

DAMO46
29th November 2009, 04:34 PM
yeah its earthed properly and its powered properly though even from the battery it doesnt wanna kick and thats all of starter motors i have, i must be doing something wrong.

Vance
29th November 2009, 04:46 PM
has the engine run at all in your car yet?

DAMO46
29th November 2009, 04:49 PM
not in this chassis nope.. so its deff wiring..

R&D Mechanical
29th November 2009, 04:49 PM
seized? lol

Vance
29th November 2009, 04:51 PM
try turning the crank by hand. it will be a little stuff but it should move. if you cant move it i think you might have bigger problems.

if you CANT move it by hand at all i would suggest removing your head

slide86
29th November 2009, 04:59 PM
when turning the key to the start position, can you hear the starter relay click in the engine bay?

if so, then the fault will be from the relay to the starter. it should be a black wire with white trace.

what you should do is get a screw driver and bridge the main large wire on the starter and the solenoid terminal, this will force the starter to turn. if this works, then you have no fault with your starter, its the starting circuit.

DAMO46
29th November 2009, 05:09 PM
the engine turns. its the starter motor that is not connected properly, the starter motor wiring is all over the shop.

DAMO46
29th November 2009, 06:00 PM
Slide u is the man.. But I can locate the area of fault

fantapants
29th November 2009, 06:11 PM
sam q has an article about using a different starter relay setup - might not be what you are looking for but might help?

biggo
29th November 2009, 08:50 PM
Yair i failed at tracing the starter setup in the carina. ended up using a relay and a push button.

slide86
29th November 2009, 10:35 PM
if its still got the jdm BODY loom, then you are going to have the correct trigger wire there.

like i said, its a black with white trace, and it will be near the starter area. it should have a black female terminal on the end. connect this to your solenoid spade fitting on the starter.

then, on the firewall above the brake booster area, there should be a black connector with bout 8 wires in it. one of these is the trigger for the starter relay. once again, should be a black with white trace. search for this wire and ensure that there is a signal when you turn the key (use of multimeter or test light is required)

if you have signal here, but the relay in the fuse box does not click, then replace the starter fuse and the relay.

this starter circuit on these cars is pretty straight forward, so there cant be to many things that could be wrong....

Skylar
30th November 2009, 02:59 PM
On the silver top I'm wiring at the moment, the black/white wire feeds starter relay and the wire going to the starter motor is actually a black wire. I'd think blacktop would have a similar sort of set up? Now, depending how it's wired, this might have been cut out or left there. I dunno so I'm just throwin' it out there.

Matt-AE86
30th November 2009, 11:23 PM
The solenoid wire which triggers the starter motor isn't connected.. its in part of the wirring in the picture you pm'd me.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/6/8/2/17789.jpg

See that wire looped around near the p/s pump. not the black/yellow but the other 1 with 2 wires inside. joint those 2 wires on and put a female spade connector on it. then push it into the starter motor solenoid male spade fitting.

You need to then go into the cabin and find the same corresponding wire, splice the 2 wires that are in the shrink wrap together into the black/white wire that was on that yellow male output that you said you don't have the other side of the plug to anymore.

It will then crank.