ArbPotatoes
29th November 2009, 10:32 PM
CAR - AE71
MOTOR - 4AGE Smallport
USE - Useless
PROBLEM - Corollas are for short people
OCCURS/STARTED WHEN - I sat in a Corolla
PERSONAL SITUATION - I'm good, thanks for asking

So I'm tall, and driving a corolla while tall creates problems. All I want to know is if it's possible to mod a seat so that it'll sit back further? Thanks.

Clinton
29th November 2009, 11:01 PM
Where there's a will, There's a welder.

todd
29th November 2009, 11:17 PM
cut your legs down a bit.

ArbPotatoes
29th November 2009, 11:27 PM
cut your legs down a bit.

I've been told to try that, not too good with welding bone yet though

Where there's a will, There's a welder.

Looking at the thing, I have no idea where to start

hachi_dk
29th November 2009, 11:47 PM
aftermarket low mount seat rail?
thats extra adjustable to slide back further?
checked with ajps or buddyparts bout something like that?

Javal
29th November 2009, 11:52 PM
I've been told to try that, not too good with welding bone yet though

Looking at the thing, I have no idea where to start

I usually have no problems driving xE7x's and i am 6'4". xA2x Celicas however, ugh.

The best way to make to fit in a corolla is to make the most of the space. A deeper bucket seat will free up a shitload of headroom, along with rails to accomodate it. Some model xE7x seats are very high, especially the 'olympic gold' ones, until the bottom falls through.

Also you have to make it work for you ergonomically. If you've got long arms, get a seat / wheel combination what will allow for this.

Dished wheels also help, as my main seating constraint is to be able to reach the wheel PROPERLY (read: wrists at wheel rim) without my knees hitting the column. Weird, i know.

When i changed to MA61 buckets and an AE82 Twinky wheel in my Corona (which has pretty much the exact same interior room as an xE7x) I freed up a lot of room, it's alot more pleasant to drive.

ke70dave
29th November 2009, 11:57 PM
best bet would be to cut the tabs off the seat and weld them on further up. you will need to extend the front of the rail though to weld them on further up. just rip the seat out and have a good look at it before you start cutting anything.

but like jarval sais...the seat in a ke70 is fairly crap. i put in a cheap recaro seat (RS2 i belive it is) cost me 300$, made my own rails too. theres a bloke selling some RS2 seats for cheap as, i think he wants 600$ for the pair. if i had the money i would buy one for the passenger!

making rails for bottom mount seats is easy as, dont even need to weld, just need to sacrifice a standard seat. if anyone wants to know how i can prolly take some pics of mine, or at least explain it.

ArbPotatoes
30th November 2009, 12:38 AM
I usually have no problems driving xE7x's and i am 6'4". xA2x Celicas however, ugh.

The best way to make to fit in a corolla is to make the most of the space. A deeper bucket seat will free up a shitload of headroom, along with rails to accomodate it. Some model xE7x seats are very high, especially the 'olympic gold' ones, until the bottom falls through.

Also you have to make it work for you ergonomically. If you've got long arms, get a seat / wheel combination what will allow for this.

Dished wheels also help, as my main seating constraint is to be able to reach the wheel PROPERLY (read: wrists at wheel rim) without my knees hitting the column. Weird, i know.

When i changed to MA61 buckets and an AE82 Twinky wheel in my Corona (which has pretty much the exact same interior room as an xE7x) I freed up a lot of room, it's alot more pleasant to drive.

I'm around 6'4 as well, and I just have no problems with headroom, just fitting my legs in the car, hence why I need to move the seat back. I've been looking at bucket seats as an option, but really I don't have the cash at the moment.

Javal
30th November 2009, 12:42 AM
MA61's + Dished wheel. Cheap as chips. Just get someone to make proper rails for them, i bodged mine and my back hates it.

Javal
30th November 2009, 12:42 AM
Even JDM AE86 seats are muuuuuuch better than KE ones.

Chaos Theory
30th November 2009, 01:08 AM
sw20 mr2 seats, suzuki gti seats.

ArbPotatoes
30th November 2009, 02:52 AM
MA61's + Dished wheel. Cheap as chips. Just get someone to make proper rails for them, i bodged mine and my back hates it.

sw20 mr2 seats, suzuki gti seats.

I will consider this. Cheap as chips sounds good. Who makes rails/approximate cost?

Cheers for the help.

Javal
30th November 2009, 09:10 AM
I will consider this. Cheap as chips sounds good. Who makes rails/approximate cost?

Cheers for the help.

AJPS will be able to mod your rails, give him a buzz.

squish_m8
30th November 2009, 09:48 AM
Even JDM AE86 seats are muuuuuuch better than KE ones.

second this, they sit much lower than stock seats and hug you better

also a custom or aftermarket superlow rail and a bucket makes a massive difference and sets you in a nicer driving position

Chaos Theory
30th November 2009, 09:56 AM

Cheers for the help.

yeah i actually rate the late model sw20 seats higher than racing buckets. they might be a bit heavier, but they are very supportive, rather low and have much adjust ability for comfort.

Lumber support.
Sides move in and out to accommodate people of all weight classes.
Reclinable
and the obvious forwards/backwards.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MZ1XYqTuxt4/Rx2kbsI6ZAI/AAAAAAAAAA4/4Kv6H5ySCxI/S658/2007_0417SeatsTvr-MR20001.JPG

suzuki gti seats are similar but not quite as good. they may be a bit lighter though as they have less adjustment.

http://www.avtomobilizem.com/forum/files/thumbs/t_suzuki_swift_gti_front_seats_wp_204.jpg

ArbPotatoes
30th November 2009, 12:34 PM
yeah i actually rate the late model sw20 seats higher than racing buckets. they might be a bit heavier, but they are very supportive, rather low and have much adjust ability for comfort.

Lumber support.
Sides move in and out to accommodate people of all weight classes.
Reclinable
and the obvious forwards/backwards.

How much do the SW20 seats go for? You modded one to fit a rolla before?

Chaos Theory
30th November 2009, 09:55 PM
scour import wreckers and you could probably get them for 200 for a pair.

they ALMOST fit in an ae86.

all three bolt holes line up except for the rear outers, just a simple cut and weld of the rail at a slight angle and bamm.

not sure if ke70 is different but seat rails are simple mods anyway.