PDA

View Full Version : open carbie

ke_70
4th December 2009, 10:19 AM
car-ke70

motor-4k

use-chick puller

whats the disadvantage of running an open as in no filter? how long will it last?

Clinton
4th December 2009, 10:23 AM
It's a 4K, Just do it.

If you really care about pros and cons for it, I guess no filter would make it less restrictive ie; more power, More induction noise ie; More chicks.

The downside is it wouldn't last more than about 18 months at a guess.

redsprinter
4th December 2009, 10:45 AM
i ve seen some cars shoot flame and shit out of the throat.

sure there is a fire hazard somewhere in there ...

ThatsHowWeRoll
4th December 2009, 10:58 AM
I second that...

Or just get a round shiny filter from repco..they still flow good and you wont get christmas beetles in your motor..plus you get the cool carbie sucking sound to pull the chicks in...

ArbPotatoes
4th December 2009, 01:10 PM
My air cleaner used to fall apart all the time... barely ever had a cleaner on it!

4K's can take anything...

I once drove to work for 2 months with no oil :)

Redlined every 15 minutes of my 45 minute trip each way.

Ask Gilly, I used to wake him up in the mornings when I drove past his work :P

Hahaha, wow. No oil? That's Toyota reliability for you

ae71
4th December 2009, 01:48 PM
a air filter is actually a fire hazard for back fire threw the carb as it gets fuel mist soak.

i ran my 4ac without a filter for ages, loved it. no noticeable difference in power, only in noise. this was with a weber too.

resol
5th December 2009, 01:01 AM
air filter filters the air....in doing so it is restrictive (reducing efficientcy of the engine), however it stops dirt and other particles from entering the engine (damaging the carby or engine).

make a choice....

i ran no filter on my 4ac with stock carb, but used filter while running a weber carb. no filter on my 4kc, didnt have many issues to complain with. a clean once a month wouldnt go astray.

-dan