PDA

View Full Version : fuel pressure is on 62psi on idle?? wtf

1sik20valve
11th December 2009, 09:32 PM
hey ppl
ive got a 4age in my ae86 sprinter , im runnin 2 pretty ballsy fuel pumps . 1 which intank , that feeds 2 a vl turbo pump . all is set up with a surge tank .
ive been noticing my car really smells fuely in the last week or so . and wen its at lights it blows out smoke , which also smells like fuel . so finally 2day i tapped a fuel pressure gage in 2 my fuel lines and realised that my pressure was reading 62psi on idle . probably explains y the motor isnt goin as hard as she should .
do u think my fpr cant keep up with these 2 pumps , cause it is only a small reg when u think about it .
also i have another reg , it was pulled from a vl turbo car , it was connected which looked like 2 the main pressure line of the external pump . it has no vaccum line , but it has a adjustable screw 2 turn up and down . should i just run that on my return? after my reg?
or is that 4 my main pressure line?
what is the normal psi pressure i have 2 run on idle?
any ideas pplz
cheers

Jonny Rochester
11th December 2009, 09:49 PM
I think most of the time you want fuel pressure about 35-40psi.

You have a totaly custom setup, so it is up to you to have a good look at it like you have. We can't tell you what is wrong. Maybe a fuel return line is blocked, like the fuel return from the surge tank to the big tank? Check all return lines for kinks.

fantapants
11th December 2009, 10:01 PM
long shot... but the fuel pressure on the beams blacktops is 62 psi. they have a returnless fuel rail, BUT the red tops MAY also be 62psi. In that case you MAY have a fpr from a redtop beams, as i believe they would be a straight swap???

could be complete boloocks but...

1sik20valve
11th December 2009, 10:17 PM
yea well most cars run between 37-42 psi .
i just need 2 no wat 2 set it 2 , and weather or not i have 2 disconnect the old 1 and run this 1 , or just them both

fantapants
11th December 2009, 11:04 PM
i realise that. that part was obvious. what i was getting at is maybe simply fit the correct fpr and the problem goes away.

or could be post unrelated

1sik20valve
12th December 2009, 08:52 PM
i blew out my return line 2 see if there was blockages , all seems fine .
i think its a case of my lines being 2 small 2 return all that fuel .
so i have 2 change my fpr im certain now .

has any1 had the same problem when installin a external pump