PDA

View Full Version : rack/tierod ends for longer LCA's

--Redwork--
13th December 2009, 05:33 PM
I'm screwing the front end of my car together atm and I need to know what rack ends/ tie rod every one uses when running longer LCA's.

I read some where on here that you use TE xx iners and something outers.. I can't evern remmeber now, It was too long ago that i went and bought them..
But i went to fit up the parts I had today and there is no way its goin to work..
Waaayy to long... Plus the tie rod and rack ends i was told to get are both male thread and i have no joiner tube..

What should I use...???

Part numbers of what i have are as follows...
TE 489
RE 863

hachi_dk
13th December 2009, 11:47 PM
depends what LCA your running.
if your just running xt130, then you dont need any sort of custom tie rod bar the originals as they have more then enough adjustment.
ae86 tie rods have about 35mm worth of adjustment on them.
i am running 340mm LCA's on my 86 and need longer tie rod ends. im going to run the t3 outer tie rods.
cbf hittin up wreckairs to find outer tie rods off other toyotas. but from memory something like ra40? rings a bell

Hen may possibly be a nut
14th December 2009, 06:14 AM
Yes, you can run RA40 (same as KE30/55?? and a bunch of others, have a search here, it's been covered) tubes and tie rod ends. Tubes you need to get from a wrecker, tie rod ends you can get new.

Or RA60 rack ends are about 10-20mm longer than AE86 rack ends. However the balljoint sits slightly closer to the end of the rack, which could play with geometry a little, but will help if you have a screw in lock spacer.

Hen

marvis
14th December 2009, 11:12 AM
^ Confirmed.

Tubes are found on a lot of 80's Toyotas also, and vary in length slightly.

--Redwork--
15th December 2009, 11:04 AM
I'm running t3 adjustable lower arms that I made 10mm longer than stock at there shortest... Plus I'm using altered anckerman steering arms...and a lock spacer..

I think from memory I got ra60 rack ends and te tie rods... Rack ends are much too long..

Going down to Fulcrum today to try and sort it out.... See what is that I actually got the first time..
Who woulda thought.. information I got off the internet was WRONG... lol

ke70dave
15th December 2009, 06:49 PM
yep i used ra60 ones on with my s13 front end (with TRX bluebird tie rod ends)

i dunno why you would ever need those tube things, s13 gear is like +50mm or something stupid per side, and with the ra60 ones there is plenty of adjustment still left in them.

though i guess it depends on what you use for the tie rod.

Mr Awsome
16th December 2009, 07:19 PM
the tubes let u wind it out from both the rack and the tie rod end.
also mean u dont have to take the tie rod end off the steering knuckle to adjust it.

trikzlane
16th December 2009, 07:42 PM
the tubes let u wind it out from both the rack and the tie rod end.
also mean u dont have to take the tie rod end off the steering knuckle to adjust it.

u dont have to take them of they are on car adjustable, pritty much every car is, apart from some rolls royces and others

mereki.

ke70dave
16th December 2009, 09:15 PM
thats what i was thinking trikzlane.

what good is an adjustment of the toe adjustment if you have to take it out of adjustment to adjust it?.

way to much adjustment in that sentence.....

so any other thoughts on what you need those tube things for?

Hen may possibly be a nut
16th December 2009, 11:30 PM
I used those tubes when I went to XT130 LCAs. Maybe the stock AE86 rack end and tie rod would have reached, but I wanted a bit more thread overlap, so I got RA40 tubes from a wrecker, new RA40 tie rod ends and stock AE86 rack ends. That setup is simply a little longer than stock AE86 tie rods.

And everything is on car adjustable. Stock AE86, RA40, Volvo, everything that I've seen (not worked on many Rolls Royces).

Hen