PDA

View Full Version : Toyota dumps TRD

Wally
19th December 2008, 10:24 PM
Source:
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=59808&vf=2

It was designed to take on HSV and FPV, but before its second birthday Toyota's TRD brand has been killed off.

http://images.drive.com.au/drive_images/Editorial/2008/12/19/TRD001_L_m.jpg
Toyota's dumped TRD

Toyota has ditched its Toyota Racing Development brand after just 16 months, blaming the current economic environment for the failure of the recently launched performance car outfit.

"With the realities of the financial crisis and the downturn in consumer confidence, companies worldwide have an overriding responsibility to do their utmost to conserve cash - and Toyota is doing just that," says Toyota Australia senior executive director Dave Buttner.

"The perspective has changed for business globally and those new rules require tough decisions for the greater good."

The TRD brand attracted just 888 customers in its short life; 537 were for the Aurion TRD sedan and 351 for the hotted-up HiLux utilities.

At the time of its launch, Toyota Australia said the performance car division was a world first and a possible global template for performance divisions of the company throughout the world.

But sales have been sluggish and the brand never really threatened the dominance of Holden Special Vehicles and to a lesser extent, Ford Performance Vehicles.

HSV is on track to sell roughly 4300 vehicles this year, down from 5222 last year, while FPV should sell about 2000 vehicles, down from 2127 last year.
The collapse of Toyota's performance arm is a major embarrassment for a company that has dominated its rivals in recent years.

At the time of the launch, Toyota said TRD was designed to inject some style, passion and performance into the brand, which has been criticised for its somewhat dowdy line-up and less than inspiring driving dynamics.
The headline act for the brand was the 241kW TRD Aurion, which had a claimed 0-100km/h time of just 6.1 secs and was designed to beat Holden and Ford’s V8-powered muscle cars at their own game.

But the car was widely criticised in the media for its dynamic flaws, which included a tendency for torque steer, which caused the steering wheel to tug hard in the driver’s hand under acceleration.

The price tag was also seen as a major obstacle, with the base model costing a hefty $56,990 in standard guise and the range-topping model costing $61,500.

The story was similar for the TRD HiLux, which was launched in April this year and copped criticism for its handling, lack of safety equipment and a daunting price range of $59,990 to $64,990.

Toyota says it will focus on its volume-selling models.

"Toyota has a responsibility to ensure its core business activities, and the people who rely on them, are protected for the long term," says Buttner.

"In the current circumstances the decision is correct and the outcome will be positive."

Toyota's head of product development, Peter McGregor, denies the division failed to hit the mark with Australian buyers.

"I think the brand was incredibly strong and the cars were well-developed and well received. It's just the case that developing new vehicles in this environment is incredibly difficult," he says.

He says the company was evaluating a number of other vehicles for the TRD range and was close to "pushing the button" on a TRD version of the RAV4 compact softroader.

He refuses to say how much money Toyota invested in the TRD set-up, but says the business was still in the start-up phase.

"We were at the point where we were still investing in it and there was going to be a period of time going forward where we still would have had to invest," he says.

He says other products in the pipeline will fill the role of creating excitement around the Toyota brand.

He doesn't rule out the brand being resurrected if the economy takes a turn for the better.

"We never say never at Toyota," he says.

A total of 17 people were directly involved in the TRD business and all have been offered re-deployment opportunities within Toyota.

The future of the TRD rally team, meanwhile, is "under review".

----------------------------

Shame really :(

Vance
19th December 2008, 11:40 PM
if they made the trd aurion rwd so many more people would have bought it

Sam-Q
20th December 2008, 12:34 AM
I would have to agree with that, I think its dumb that all they need to do is ask a large random group what they would of wanted and most of the car guys would of said they dont want a FWD.

Wally
20th December 2008, 08:06 AM
And why make a TRD Hilux! Poor decisions all round from this camp I must say.

Maybe Toyota Australia should have gotten a bit more behind TRD... 17 employees? lolz

n00bvak
20th December 2008, 08:31 AM
a 4wd turbo trd rolla/yaris or something by trd would have sold better than a hilux. They really didn't test our demographic very well.

Looks like this was really aimed at the american market, as aussies want rwd family cars and mini "4wd". hilux just too expensive for the 20 somethings that it was aimed at. Better yet if they made the aurion 4wd with good suspension, the tuning capabilities would have been awesome.

It really was a half assed attempt to realease a brand. Needed to be all or nothing, looks like it is goin to be nothing.

R&D Mechanical
20th December 2008, 10:04 AM
all the TRD cars were very over rated. I have driven the hilux and i would rather have the turbo diesel over the trd one, they are nothing special maybe if they tried harder it would be better, also with the aurion why have lots of power in a fwd, the stock one toque steers like a bitch i would hate to know what the trd one is like.

these days toyota are making boring cars, people out there are boring these days and want cheep little cars because everyone is a tight ass.
end

n00bvak
20th December 2008, 10:19 AM
damn tight ass's

Well if the GTR is selling, why not make that new sprinter, turbo/supercharged or better yet twin-charged 2zz or better with 15*10 -27 offset Watanabe's, all fat and low for cheaper than the GTR, im sure a lot of ppl will by it.

Thats when they can put the TRD badge on it :p

quadeyquade
20th December 2008, 10:58 AM
we should just send them 1000s of emails that are just walls off saying RWD RWD RWD

Sturgey
20th December 2008, 11:42 AM
they should just import a few reiz's/mark X from china/japan and see if they sell
its a pity they are closing trd down

Budowski
20th December 2008, 12:34 PM
Everything is based on sales im sure TRD will be back maybe in 3-5 years, maybe in that time they might have a good hard think about reinventing the RWD ? like they started to think about with the reinvented AE86 ?

Axentrik
20th December 2008, 12:35 PM
lol toyota australia suck cock always have.. look what they did with the ae86. turned it into a single cam piece of crap.

Dom86
20th December 2008, 01:14 PM
Toyota just needs something RWD.....

H8CHIR6KU
20th December 2008, 01:38 PM
i don't think it would have mattered what they did with the camry. at the end of the day its still a camry!

even when ralliart turboed and awd the magna a few years ago how many did they sell... f all cause its still a magna

at the time trd should have just brought in some kick ass models from japan that we don't get here and just labelled it trd. most of the public would be none the wiser and i'm sure it would still be plenty cost effective than trying to polish a turd into a sports car

LevinD1
20th December 2008, 03:54 PM
it was always gunna happen. If they tried bringin out a S/C MR-S as a trd, that mite have sold better than the aurion and hilux

Delazy
20th December 2008, 07:23 PM
my thought is.....

wat does beau yates do if TRD have been axed from australia......

on top of loosing drift australia, his now potentially lost his major sponsor from 2008

AE86R
20th December 2008, 08:00 PM
thats right toyota need a rwd.

its funny how hard it is to find a 1000kg rwd 1995+ model cars these days

Sam-Q
20th December 2008, 08:02 PM
yeah tottaly, I mean isnt the latest MX5 meant to be 1200kg dry?

greeneyes
20th December 2008, 08:55 PM
Plenty of Toyota RWDs, but they are badged Lexus here!

Harass the Aussie Govt to let in Jap imports and you will see plenty of them, just like NZ has. IS250s and IS-Fs second hand from the Jap auctions...

There's now way a hotted up Camry was going anywhere! Insult to the TRD name!

Konakid
20th December 2008, 09:28 PM
Was bound to happen, neither cars really satisfy the Australian market.

FWD sedan and power, bogans want a v8 rwd ss.

Hilux with grunt and a price tag to match when the diesel and petrol versions have easily enough stomp for the chassis.

They should have ditched the TRD hilux and put the extra dough into designing a rwd aurion trd.

Breaka
20th December 2008, 11:20 PM
I would have to agree with that, I think its dumb that all they need to do is ask a large random group what they would of wanted and most of the car guys would of said they dont want a FWD.

I believe WWD or Wrong Wheel Drive is the correct terminology used amongst any good bunch of men :DD:DD

Wally
20th December 2008, 11:45 PM
Toyota just needs something RWD.....

Elect this man Toyota President!

it's been tooooo long... we need to fuck all this fwd shit off :shout: :DD

eastcoastdrifter
21st December 2008, 01:11 AM
if only they released a TRD Yaris or corolla.......... oh well there stupidity

VBman
21st December 2008, 08:28 AM
yeah a mild turbo corolla for under 30,000 could of sold like hotcakes.
The base model are about 20k so that would have left them 10k per car for turbo + body kits, more than enough i think.

FWD + High power dont mix.

And if he claims it was an investment, they committed suicide by making the price tag so high. They could have sold them cheaper at a loss, to get the brand name out there. Once there is 4000-5000 of them on the road more people will want one, and then you can jack the price on the next model.

R&D Mechanical
21st December 2008, 01:00 PM
FWD + High power = Torque steer = death

lol fixed :P

johl
21st December 2008, 11:01 PM
if hyundai are making a light rwd why the hell is toyota so far off the money....? i mean hyundai? seriously?

Wally
22nd December 2008, 12:36 AM
who would by a hyundai though! hahaha

Sturgey
22nd December 2008, 12:43 AM
there is a rwd toyota out in japan and china
its called the toyota mark X or the toyota reiz
toyota needa smarten up and bring 200 over and see if they sell
Wiki Page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Mark_X)

Wally
22nd December 2008, 12:48 AM
there is a rwd toyota out in japan and china
its called the toyota mark X or the toyota reiz
toyota needa smarten up and bring 200 over and see if they sell
Wiki Page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Mark_X)

mmm 189kw or 153kw engine seems quite nice.

I wouldnt buy one though personally.... but I'm sure it would sell over here.

AE86R
22nd December 2008, 02:31 AM
there good cars though

Wally
22nd December 2008, 08:03 AM
They just look like a weird camry! haha.

I prefer old school toyota! :D

jfallen
22nd December 2008, 08:21 AM
At 537A, 351H

It makes them among the rarest factory toyota's ever made. in fact the only others to my knowlege that were made in fewer numbers were:

2000GT (1967)
Corolla Sportivo Turbbo (2001)
TA64 Group B Celica turbo (1983/4)

Cheers
Jordan

AE86 LSG
22nd December 2008, 12:31 PM
Money hungry marketing, they put little effort into the whole concept to try and get alot of money out of it.
Once again Australian companies are still targeting people aged 45+, I look forward to the day that things are marketed for younger generations. Suprisingly even Hyundai are getting the idea with their new coupe being turbo and RWD and they are Korean and don't usually listen to anything but somebody finally did, not sure if it is any good though at least it is a start. There is plenty of great cars in Japan, but I think they look at Australia and go hmm retirement village, just dress up the cheap slow cars, that will keep the general population (over 45 ) happy.
Maybe in 20 yrs time, hope the AE86 can last till then.......

marvis
22nd December 2008, 12:37 PM
LOL.

Aus TRD is a failture. TRD hilux? WTF were they thinking.

Wally
22nd December 2008, 04:20 PM
LOL.

Aus TRD is a failture. TRD hilux? WTF were they thinking.

Thy weren't actually! :sleep:

AE86R
22nd December 2008, 04:22 PM
they made trd hilux to make the lebos atleast have some street cred

Beck
24th December 2008, 01:57 PM
At first glance, I totally thought that said "... to make the lesbos atleast have..."

heh

turbo_rolla
24th December 2008, 02:24 PM
yeah a mild turbo corolla for under 30,000 could of sold like hotcakes.
The base model are about 20k so that would have left them 10k per car for turbo + body kits, more than enough i think.
they tried that back in 2001 with the "Corolla Sportivo" - from what i've ready they had problems selling them (low $30's i think). There were only 100 released here (110 or 115 including their "test" cars). Having said that, i got one that was a couple of years old with 15000 on the clock - cool little car, and got alot of "wtf" looks, BUT, at the end of the day its still a FWD, and had torque steer issues. These were selling for mid $20's after a while, which was around the same price as 200sx's and r33/34 skylines etc, so not much wonder why they werent that popular (took me quite a while to sell mine because of this!!!).

Maybe toyota will realise Aus needs a small RWD car when this new hyundai starts to sell a bit cause it'll pretty much be the only thing in the market of its type (new).

I agree with comments above though, TRD hilux = bad decision, plus i thought it looked pretty ugly, and you cant ever have lots of power through FWD (in the case of the aurions) cause of the torque steer (my sportivo was bad enough, let alone an aurion with double the power).

Moebius
24th December 2008, 04:20 PM
you cant ever have lots of power through FWD (in the case of the aurions) cause of the torque steer (my sportivo was bad enough, let alone an aurion with double the power).

Ever heard of equal length driveshafts? ;)

k.aaron
24th December 2008, 09:31 PM
If the TRD Aurion was an AWD it would of been such a bigger hit.

KE35Punk
25th December 2008, 09:44 AM
agreed.. I think a RWD would hit the mark nicely.. but I have been very disappointed with toyota because they have forgotten what sells cars. if you look at the holden model for marketing, they make "shit hot" cars and plug them hard knowing that if they make a awesome performance car based on a shitty family sedan everyone will buy the shitty cheapo dodgy bogan commodore because they know that holden can make "performance cars".. thats why they are the top selling car company in OZ.. toyota do the opposite. they make great average boring standard cars and do it well.. but performance cars... they just keep threatening to bring them out like the rumored Subaru toyota coop and the supra they were "developing". they have gone soft and I really thought TRD was the answer. if they made shit hot cars people would buy their shitty standard cars.

lo_rolla
25th December 2008, 11:20 AM
You know why they won't make these cars we all want? Cos that doesn't cater to the high concumption demographic.

Really, how many of you (and other younger people) interested in light, rwd sporty cars could afford to go to the dealer and buy a brand new car for 25,000+?

And to be honest, I probably wouldn't get one, I'd rather spend my 25,000 on my AE86, it's a lot of money but it would still have better resale then a brand new car.

That and I fucking hate new car smell.

FLCL
25th December 2008, 12:31 PM
Sorry KE35Punk but Holden dont make a good performance car. Nice motor boats yes. Currently the entire Ford range shits all over holden. If you still wanted a solid performance car then wrx's, evo's, silvias and skylines are still the safest bet.

What toyota lacks are the fleet sales they used to have back before hyundai, kia and so forth. Corollas and camrys have been replaced with cheaper and just as reliable hyundais and nissan tiidas. Not only that the resale value on toyotas the have come from fleet although still good is disheartening as for the same price as a second hand exfleet car you can get something new from someone else. Working in a automotive group which has ties to other car manufacterers you can see these trends.

2009-10 australia will have 2 chinese made car brands hoping to win the australian market. They boast a very cheap utility, a fwd family sedan and small car. Toyota no matter what it does can effectively compete with the current trend for cheaper cars. So crying for a rwd car is not going to solve anything.
As for saying toyota arent catering to the younger demograhpic. Most of those people who have new cars are those who have had them bought by their parents so they are very unlikely of having a say in car choice. Heck i'm still in that demographic (just) and I would rather have a NSX over a rwd aurion

letsgohunting
25th December 2008, 12:40 PM
TRD australias development and ideas was a bit of a joke really... Did they really think people wanted a "trd hilux"? Did they really think they'd battle holden and ford with a fwd camry?

eh.

jfallen
25th December 2008, 03:53 PM
You know why they won't make these cars we all want? Really, how many of you (and other younger people) interested in light, rwd sporty cars could afford to go to the dealer and buy a brand new car for 25,000+?

I can and would. but until there is something light, sporty, RWD and relatively cheap (<$30,000) in a hard top I'll hang on to my cash and spend it elsewhere.

It's been a long time in between drinks for us Toyota fans. I keep getting tempted to buy a 2003/4 model Caldina GT-T. But I'm not going to spend that sort of cash on a car that doesn't have a warranty.

Come on Toyota. Hell just fire up the AW11 mold and chuck in a new motor I'd buy one. What was the design brief? From memory it was "Cheap and cheerful."

Cheers
Jordan

hachirusto
25th December 2008, 04:26 PM
you can hope and dream all you want but the cardigan is on tight and toyota arent going to take it off anytime soon

KE35Punk
25th December 2008, 08:52 PM
I think you missed my point with the holden theory. I hate holdens they are shit boxes... I thought you might have picked that up in the later half of my post..

I think holden use the HSV thing to sell average cars. thats how Subaru started making money.. they made the WRX and plugged it hard. It was perfect for its time and people started buying normal impreza's. HSV make holden "look good" (Disclaimer: term used extremely loose). V8 supercars sell the australian cars because people think when they buy a ford or holden they are buying a standard form of V8 supercar.. you and i both know the only parts they share are the panels. do you get my point.

I do think the TRD hilux was a good idea, it was the best of its type in its class. the TRD Aurion.. mmm well its competing with RWD "V8 supercars" and really should have made a AWD version if it was going to compete.. Like the 380 and the magna sports. people just didnt buy them because they arent in the same class. I mean people dont feel comfortable with cars that torque steer and dont feel right when trying to drive their FWD the same around corners as their RWD.

I do fully agree with the fleet deal. Although most government agencies use toyota that want happen for long.

letsgohunting
25th December 2008, 10:07 PM
I think holden use the HSV thing to sell average cars.

Yeah I agree - bogans buy commodore SV6s because they're sort of the same car as a GTS. They buy commodores because they're in the v8 supercars.

I do think the TRD hilux was a good idea, it was the best of its type in its class.

TRD hilux is only about a tenth of a second quicker in some acceleration times than the n/a stock navara, but it was actually beaten in a some of the rolling acceleration tests by the navara as well.
It has street rims and tyres and a poxy bodykit that reduces it's departure and approach angles so it's actually probably worse offroad than the normal hilux.

It also absolutely guzzles fuel and costs a LOT.

Why didn't Toyota do a tough truck turbo diesel from their 3.0d? It's a great motor stock - all it needs is some more boost, some more ecu mapping, a better exhaust, slightly heavier duty suspension, dual tanks, some wider 4x4 rims and some good tyres stock and it would be an incredibly hot seller.

Real 4x4ers don't want petrols, they want diesels.

FLCL
26th December 2008, 01:53 AM
Sorry KE35 ambiguity of text so i didnt pick it up. But I do agree the trd hilix was a good idea. The concept of revamping the hilux has been overlooked for many years now. But alas it seems toyota is a trend too late. heck its taken toyota 2 years to fight with toyota international to get dual airbags fitted into landcruisers for mining sites. in the mean time losing out to the Nissan Patrols over here in WA.

I guess its because Autralian toyota market share is so small in comparison to global market that we wont see Scions or FJcruisers or Tundras. All very nice and reasonably priced... in America.

KE35Punk
29th December 2008, 09:50 AM
silly toyota.. I didnt like the new hilux when it came out.. I still wouldnt get one.. they are too (gulp) American.

Im a 4wder and I dont like diesel. but thats because diesel is the shit thats left over when they finish refining all the good stuff.. the sludge the comes out of crude oil.. Add a few anti knock agents to it and add balls load of compression and presto slight combustion. torque comes from having hi cylinder pressures (compression) but its inefficiency is noted by the fact that you cant make them rev very well..

but yeah you are right.. supercharged hilux = me like to drink. not good for long trips off road or going on the beach.

Im really liking Subaru lately.

lo_rolla
29th December 2008, 10:35 AM
silly toyota.. I didnt like the new hilux when it came out.. I still wouldnt get one.. they are too (gulp) American.

Im a 4wder and I dont like diesel. but thats because diesel is the shit thats left over when they finish refining all the good stuff.. the sludge the comes out of crude oil.. Add a few anti knock agents to it and add balls load of compression and presto slight combustion. torque comes from having hi cylinder pressures (compression) but its inefficiency is noted by the fact that you cant make them rev very well..

but yeah you are right.. supercharged hilux = me like to drink. not good for long trips off road or going on the beach.

No, diesels cannot rev high due to their incredibally high cylinder pressure, Which in turn creates vast amounts of combustive force on the top of the piston, thus putting large amounts of force on the connecting rod and (in a 4cyl) 4 times the affect of this high cylinder pressure on the crank shaft.

Ever seen inside a diesel engine? That's why they don't rev high. Parts are too heavy, but they have to be or they would break
It is far more efficient then petrol. The combustion in a diesel engine is far more complete then petrol.

That is one of the silliest things I've ever read on a forum.

Beck
29th December 2008, 11:13 AM
Im a 4wder and I dont like diesel. but thats because... <snipped a bunch of wrong stuff>

I'm not sure where you got that information, but you seem very misinformed about diesel fuel.

http://www.dsnc.biz/diesel_facts.html
http://science.howstuffworks.com/oil-refining2.htm
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/454440/petroleum-refining/81815/Diesel-oils

Some good info there, if you're interested in actual facts.

Edit: If you want to sound ignorant to others when you talk about diesel, that's cool with me. I was just trying to help.

Back to TRD I guess.

letsgohunting
29th December 2008, 05:40 PM

Not really.

Diesel is many times more efficient than petrol.

Ever driven a bmw 320d compared to a 320i (diesel vs petrol)? Or a golf TDI vs a 1.6? My mothers 320d is effortlessly quick in a straight line, sounds good, and gets back around 6.8L of fuel /100km

blair
29th December 2008, 07:30 PM
^ wow, way to pick out two keywords, diesel and inefficiency!

in context, try again;

its inefficiency is noted by the fact that you cant make them rev very well..

on topic:

im not fussed!

KE35Punk
29th December 2008, 11:03 PM
diesel = dregs they just found a way of disposing of it.

back to TRD

PS Wikipedia HAHAHAHA

Low Style
30th December 2008, 09:03 AM
i believe they went wrong with the TRD hilux. so over priced for what it is.

and they need to make more RWD cars thats how they are loosing agaisnt holden and ford

Clinton
30th December 2008, 10:35 AM
diesel = dregs they just found a way of disposing of it.

what do you think most energy is...

far out some people shouldnt be allowed near the internet.

redsprinter
30th December 2008, 12:29 PM
i saw a trd aurion up close.. and sat in one ..loved the look of the car ... so much more then any ford or holden .. too bad its fwd .. shit someone at trd needs to get slapped im thinking the accounts or marketing department.

im pretty sure that the trd enigneers would of all said yes to a rwd version of a aurion .. but its those damn accounts ppl saying too expensive...

lo_rolla
30th December 2008, 01:11 PM
One of us needs to infiltrate the company, any one here smart enough to become ceo or at least an accountant of Toyota Australia?

johl
30th December 2008, 01:52 PM
untill toyota get into a large motorsport category (v8 supercars) in australia we will never see a rwd toyota 'drivers' car. there was some hope when they were looking into entering but with the global economy the way it is im sure it has been pushed even further back on toyota's agenda

letsgohunting
30th December 2008, 05:15 PM
^ wow, way to pick out two keywords, diesel and inefficiency!

in context, try again;

on topic:

im not fussed!

It's a completely different motor than a petrol. They don't actually need to rev. They make peak power and torque extremely low in the rev range. You can drive around a modern turbo diesel between 900-2500rpm getting usually around 300-600nm of torque on with a flat linear curve. Thats why they're so efficient. Most petrol motors need to be revved further to get power.

Anyway I started a new thread on diesels as not to rape this one.

KE35Punk
30th December 2008, 11:04 PM
what do you think most energy is...

far out some people shouldnt be allowed near the internet.

Thanks clinton.. were you meaning kinetic or potential energy.

dont be a wanker mate we dont need this forum to become like toymods.

Avesco (spelling) has a problem with any other car manufacturer entering v8 supercars. toyota nissan and mitsy all can produce a car for v8 supercars but are not allowed entry. on the grand scheme of things why would they want to enter. v8 supercars is pretty low in the food chain of racing.

Beck
31st December 2008, 10:45 AM
Since you were talking about diesel, I'd say he meant potential energy. Of which diesel actually has around 10% more (depending on how you measure it).

I don't think anyone's trying to be a wanker, but the problem is, you've posted some completely wrong information and, when you got called on it, you do the forum equivalent of plugging your ears and yelling "LalalaIcan'thearyou!"

Laugh at wikipedia if you want (I changed the links anyway - accurate information is really easy to find) but there's actually plenty of good information there. Search for yourself if you'd rather - I think you'll find that the actual "dregs" that you're talking about are waxes and asphalts and the like. There are several things that distil from crude oil at higher temps than diesel. (heating oil, motor oil, etc.)

On topic, I completely agree with your last paragraph about the V8s. Sadly, it seems that, for many of your typical Aussie blokes, "The Vee-Eights" are the be-all, end-all of motorsport.

KE35Punk
1st January 2009, 04:52 PM
try running a deisel at 11:1 compression and see how much torque you get.dont know about the fingers in ears thing but sure. I personally would love for there to be a more effecient way of producing ethanol. its got everything else going for it. bi-produce of combustion is steam, it has a strong slow burn so you can get good torque in a piston engine its knock freindly so you can run 16:1 compression and not have a drama with pre detonation. it burns a lot colder then petroleum produces so you dont need a radiator thus manufacturers can make more aerodynamic cars with smaller frontal area. it got everything going for it bar the quantities that we need to produce.

Moebius
2nd January 2009, 08:46 AM
I personally would love for there to be a more effecient way of producing ethanol. its got everything else going for it. bi-produce of combustion is steam

You were just called out for posting wrong information about diesel so now you move onto posting wrong information about ethanol?

KE35Punk
3rd January 2009, 08:59 AM
which was....

actually the only thing that was wrong about the diesel thing was the diesel revving thing which I was"called" on as they have heavier internals.. the rest is pretty much spot on.

Beck
3rd January 2009, 11:23 AM
which was....

actually the only thing that was wrong about the diesel thing was the diesel revving thing which I was"called" on as they have heavier internals.. the rest is pretty much spot on.

See? There you go again with your fingers in your ears. Let's see here...

diesel is the shit thats left over when they finish refining all the good stuff..
Completely wrong.

the sludge the comes out of crude oil..
Completely wrong.

Add a few anti knock agents to it and add balls load of compression and presto slight combustion.
Slight? Partially/mostly wrong.

torque comes from having hi cylinder pressures (compression)
Hey, you got one! Correct.

but its inefficiency is noted by the fact that you cant make them rev very well..
Completely wrong.

Yeah, pretty much spot on... /sarcasm

Honestly, you should probably just stop now.

SEXY 16
3rd January 2009, 06:52 PM
hope toyota pull out of rallying
then the illegal corollas wont be able to run anymore
why should toyota be able to run cars that are not manufactured anywhere

watch the evo's rule now
and before anyone flames me i know better than anyone what i am talking about

KE35Punk
3rd January 2009, 11:43 PM
well your fingers must be up your arse. I really dont see whats so "wrong" with most of what was written..

so because you disagree with what I have said you turn it into a "you dont know shit" arguing match which up til now I was avoiding. but fuck it.

truth is everything that was stated was written in a forceful, opinionated way sort of the same as your replies, to say that hey diesel is really not that great and why would you both wasting time with it. if you want to get really super technical you can say that im not 100% spot on. but as I said a million times your really not getting my point. diesel is inefficient... I was wrong about revving but its still shit form of fuel. because it doesnt combust aswell as petroleum it needs higher compression. But you get the same result mixing it with vegy oil.. guess that makes vegy oil a great source of fuel. in one form or another it is shit that comes out of crude oil and it is dirty and sludgy.

can we please go back on topic. I do actually want to know about Toyota and the rally as sexy 16 started saying. I didnt know the corollas were illegal I dont have time to follow the rally.

if you want to continue this conversation email me or PM me other wise fuck off with your ego trip and let get back on topic.

Eircamae86
4th January 2009, 03:31 AM
Anybody know what the homologation for the new 2009 WRC super 2000s is, & will Toyota/TRD be part of this in the future, why not?
Interesting conversation on fuels :DD
I hate fwd & diesels but has anyone ever driven a Seat leon TDI Sport? Serious weapons, also was impressed with the Skoda Octavia RS

Moebius
5th January 2009, 01:50 AM
which was....

The part where you claimed that the bi-product of ethanol combustion is steam...

af300e
5th January 2009, 01:18 PM
I personally would love for there to be a more effecient way of producing ethanol. its got everything else going for it. bi-produce of combustion is steam

By-product of burning any hydrocarbon (such as octane, ethanol etc) is steam AND carbon dioxide.

The only reason that ethanol can be considered being closer to carbon neutral is that by growing plants to produce it, carbon dioxide is used in photosynthesis. This offsets that CO2 emmisions that come from combustion.

rthy
5th January 2009, 03:11 PM
Has anyone see that new toyota IQ?
its like a new echo with a 1.4l diesel motor
http://www.tuningnews.net/news/080305a/toyota-iq.jpg

Andy San
22nd January 2009, 10:34 PM
toyota released an awd turbo yaris in japan... maybe they could have stuck stickers all over it and called it a 'trd' version

driftke70
23rd January 2009, 02:15 AM
trd died in the 80s, last thing they did reasonable was the 3000gt

redsprinter
23rd January 2009, 12:34 PM
you mean 2000gt ???

all i get when a google 3000gt is a mitsu gto .<--- found it http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=m2Hozsvb4po

redsprinter
23rd January 2009, 12:36 PM
hope toyota pull out of rallying
then the illegal corollas wont be able to run anymore
why should toyota be able to run cars that are not manufactured anywhere

watch the evo's rule now
and before anyone flames me i know better than anyone what i am talking about

do you mean the awd converted corollas ???

driftke70
23rd January 2009, 01:10 PM
you mean 2000gt ???

all i get when a google 3000gt is a mitsu gto .<--- found it http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=m2Hozsvb4po

they actually did a jza80

Konakid
23rd January 2009, 04:32 PM
toyota beat GM last year for biggest car manufacturer in the world.

8.35 million cars vs 8.97.

First time GM hasnt been the biggest in 77 years.

Toyota ftw, but seriously make some sports cars already or a proper trd corolla.

blackknight
30th January 2009, 05:33 PM
Rwd Aurion Would never have happened the amount of money involved in completly redeveloping a car is insane they had the right idea with the trd rally corolla and there is a fella in the uk that builds awd corollas and celicas Fensport is the companies name.
besides who really needs a supercharged 4wd utility in this market?
As before they need the average motoring enthusiust to help in car development,
We need a light wieght rwd small capacity (such as the 2zz motor out of the celica)
And most of all it has to be N/A my thoughts any way
I was working for toyota as a detailer when they released the trd brand and got to drive the trd aurion and frankly a car with that tag price u i expected more.
The salesmens excuse was that it had to be tame so families could buy it and drive it so then what was the point of releasing it in the first place.
I love Toyota really i do but in all honesty I believe they didnt think this all the way through first.

letsgohunting
30th January 2009, 06:29 PM
Rwd Aurion Would never have happened the amount of money involved in completly redeveloping a car is insane they had the right idea with the trd rally corolla and there is a fella in the uk that builds awd corollas and celicas Fensport is the companies name.
besides who really needs a supercharged 4wd utility in this market?
As before they need the average motoring enthusiust to help in car development,
We need a light wieght rwd small capacity (such as the 2zz motor out of the celica)
And most of all it has to be N/A my thoughts any way
I was working for toyota as a detailer when they released the trd brand and got to drive the trd aurion and frankly a car with that tag price u i expected more.
The salesmens excuse was that it had to be tame so families could buy it and drive it so then what was the point of releasing it in the first place.
I love Toyota really i do but in all honesty I believe they didnt think this all the way through first.

They don't have to develop any rwd chassis - thats the most frustrating thing. All they had to do was get some current model jzx chaser chassis sent over from japan, adapt the camry/aurion body to fit on them and stick toyota australias gay 6 supercharged motor in it.

Or even better, bring the current chaser/mkII in and rename it the TRD aurion!

Course_Out
30th January 2009, 09:58 PM
I honestly don't see why they bothered developing the Aurion when they simply coudl have done what you just mentioned - I would have thought having another market for the jzx110 (even if the top model was powered by the current 4.5L v8...) would make it more economical to build?

That said, I don't know shit....

Kid Karola
31st January 2009, 06:53 AM
my thought is.....

wat does beau yates do if TRD have been axed from australia......

on top of loosing drift australia, his now potentially lost his major sponsor from 2008

That's exactly what I was thinking... But Beau has done most of the hard yards himself over the years. Hope he doesn't have to return the Bates prepared 3SGTE...

TRD Japan still has so much to offer for many models with performance potential, I don't really care if they have a options for camry or ute here.

blackknight
31st January 2009, 10:04 AM
They don't have to develop any rwd chassis - thats the most frustrating thing. All they had to do was get some current model jzx chaser chassis sent over from japan, adapt the camry/aurion body to fit on them and stick toyota australias gay 6 supercharged motor in it.

Or even better, bring the current chaser/mkII in and rename it the TRD aurion!

Hmmm I had no idea the chassis for the chaser was similar to that of the camry/Aurion but in any case like you said they would have been better off releasing the chaser over here its not like they wouldnt sell any.

Rice86
5th February 2009, 11:36 AM
Aus TRD = Aus Toyota Retarded Department

only reason why i can think they made a TRD Aurion and Hilux, cuz they are the biggest sellers in Aus as normal cars? in saying that, the corolla...a big hit i like to believe, BUT yeah...people are tightass already thats why they by a toyota in the first place, they arnt willing to spend MORE on a toyota TRD....

people say Honda are expensive, parts and all, but toyota is just as harsh, TRD parts only...talking in terms of newer cars, not 1983s ^_^

sun_moon
5th February 2009, 01:11 PM
damn tight ass's

Well if the GTR is selling, why not make that new sprinter, turbo/supercharged or better yet twin-charged 2zz or better with 15*10 -27 offset Watanabe's, all fat and low for cheaper than the GTR, im sure a lot of ppl will by it.

Thats when they can put the TRD badge on it :p

there is no market for such a toyota.... the only people who would buy it is the people of this forum, who oftenly can not afford a new car, or do not want to pay for a new car.

the car you speak of would not appeal to a wide enough audience, especially considering toyotas USUALLY "safe" attitude.

another reason is that car could undercut certain other toyota models... its like if they released the MR-S with a 2zzge instead of a 1zzfe... it would have undercut the celica (toyota australias toy sports model)

also not to mention the fact that the stress negative 27 offset 10inch rims would cause on the car....

driftke70
5th February 2009, 02:32 PM
there are plenty of people out there, who have bought xr6t, ss comm, second hand gtrs, wrx, liberty etc who would have more than happily considered it, and probably bought it, they are beautiful cars to drive, even from a non performance perspective.

The mr-s and the celica are two different markets, ones for 26 year old women, the other for 36 year old women.

negative 27 offset would put stress, but alot less stress than some of the components on a r35 gtr would endure. It is a bit much though,

maybe - 21 :P

johl
5th February 2009, 02:56 PM
but if toyota put a factory 10 on a small f/r car we can safely assume there would be a hidiously massive tyre to match?
for those that were mentioning the jzx110 earlier they stopped production wayyy back in 03 and even now the newer mark X is only available as an automatic. toyota just seem to target the older market who actually buy new cars, not us 'younger' people who would rarely buy one. cant say i blame them really, but i am disapointed that they have changed.
mmmmm 110 verossa.... arghghghhghghhhhhh
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/7/3/5474.jpg

Moebius
5th February 2009, 03:33 PM
The mr-s and the celica are two different markets, ones for 26 year old women, the other for 36 year old women.

:hehe: Good call.

joey12
18th February 2009, 09:29 PM
they should have scrapted the trd hilux. they were trying to get the tradies with big cash but they really didnt want it. and i agree when u guys say why make a trd aurion front wheel drive. it would have been so much better in rear wheel and also yeh a trd corolla would have been sweet to match the evo and wrx.

driftism
18th February 2009, 10:24 PM
to be honest my love of toyota stops at the 1980s... the new ones aren't the same car. I love cars because of how they are engineered, not what badge is stuck on it.

Chairs with flares
18th February 2009, 10:48 PM
OK nothing real to add, but did anyone else read it as

Toyota dumps TuRD

*shrug*

TAK 2
1st March 2009, 09:27 PM
If they did bring out a new trueno think of what it would look like! take the 03 model corolla and put it in a blender with an 04 model hiace and then look at it.That's what it would probably look like but hey I maybe wrong

lovemy86
5th August 2009, 03:18 AM
i was talking to the people (formerly) in charge of TRD Aus, and found out some very interesting info and thought of you guys straight away! They were "forced to try the Aurion as a fwd". Greg Gardner was told that "if it doesn't work as fwd, then TRD Aus has free reign of any Toyota parts bin to make it competitive with hsv", "i was told that, it must be able to compete againts a clubsport, if necisary series 2 can be changed to rwd or awd" there were plans and some designs in the pipework for the yaris and corolla too, i'll see if i can get my hands on those designs cos they look great but were planned for 2010-11. So for once they were willing to go all out and make something new thats actually worth owning but, also for once, a company told the truth! it was just financial issues that put TRD "on hold" and from what i was told, IS returning soon.

lovemy86
5th August 2009, 03:19 AM
p.s. they actually to pick people at random and have a group of about 20, and ask them all what they want from a car and whether they like the new designs and what would they change about them. so some fags wanted fwd.

Gunner
5th August 2009, 08:33 AM
Toyota Australia, has never really offered any real performance car to the australian public, since the early 90's.

The fact that the Aurion was to go up against clubsport, or fpv, is laughable. Slapping a bodykit, interior, and a supercharger on a camry, does not make it a performance car.

The Australian automotive industry, is very very political, and holden and ford, will always be the favourites, and get the prime spots on the pedestal. No other manufacturer, will ever be able to produce, a true rival to the clubsport or fpv, in the family saloon market.

Why do subi, mitsu and mazda get awy with having, the 4 door awd turbo animals thay have, holden and ford, dont have anything to go against them in there range, so the automotive gods of australia, will let them be sold, if there was a awd turbo variant available from holden and ford, we would not have these cars, in our country.

If toyota Australia, was truly going to be realieasing a performance vehicle, that was not just a stunt, like the TRD Aurion, it has many many capable vehicles, available elsewhere in the world. But Toyota Austraia is all about safe family cars, not about balls to the wall, performance cars.

TRD as a brand of toyota australia, will never be successful, not because, they can't be any good, but why would you buy a 80k commodore, when you could buy a 80k toyota that can do everything the commi can, but is built better, stronger and would probably out perform anything else in the market. You wouldn't, you'd buy the toyota, and hsv and fpv would be dead, and subsequently, so would holden and ford.

xero
5th August 2009, 09:57 AM
that is a very valid point there gunner. but what about all the people who own the XR6T's out there?
if they had a viable 2nd option other than the holden or ford that is a large sedan and had some poke they jump at the chance.

look at how many mkV vw golfs are getting around, previously they were the people who bought commodores or falcons but didnt like or previously had a bad experiance with the quality of the holden or ford.

rthy
5th August 2009, 09:58 AM
i think people are after "fuel efficiency" = FWD
but big cars that are fwd are more like boats

xero
5th August 2009, 10:00 AM
but the new v8's are more effieceint than they have ever been. they still suck it down faster than fat guy on a macca's binge but they are getting just as many KM's to a tank than the equivilent FWD family cars.

Gunner
5th August 2009, 10:27 AM
but the tank, is still double the size. Just like a fat dude.

TRD Australia, is nothing more, than those gronks that do up camry's.

Seriously though, yates 86 was cool, but why waste money sponsoring a vehicle, you can't sell to anyone. Its not like the public, can go into toyota on the monday, and buy an 86.

Toyota Australia, is all about efficiency as rthy said, and also about being able to offer a vehicle, of better build quality than most other manufacturers, at a better price, but this has screwed them over, as they have nothing in the range, but fwd, and 4wd's, theres is nothing, to offer in rwd, apart from a hilux, or van, and nothing on the awd market.

The only real performance orientated and capable vehicle is the sportivo corolla, and do they even have that in the current model range?

I love toyota, I only own toyota's, and probably will only ever own toyota's, but not if it is aussie made.

Thats not saying, I dont think they do their job well, but until they can offer me a real sportscar, I will never buy a toyota older than a 93 model. Out of the locally delivered stock that is.

rthy
5th August 2009, 03:45 PM
fyi, id totally buy a hilux

driftke70
5th August 2009, 11:57 PM
the whole engine and sub frame bolts in from under neath so easily, its also cheaper to transport parts, cheaper to hold them, cheaper to fit them, cheaper to make tools to fit them

aus toyota didnt do rwd cause they were lazy.

seek
6th August 2009, 09:17 AM
lol, it's simply just toyota isnt a charity. its a business, and as such operates against business models that make the company as successful as it is.

its simple economics really.

and to be honest, im over the whole 'new' sportish cars from any make of vehicle. its either too expensive to deter me from thrashing the shit out of, or its cheap enough that its simply not worth thrashing... catch 22. A new daily, then sure... but a car to treat like your ke/ae86? its not logical in a expensive (new) car.

Jake
6th August 2009, 02:22 PM
there is a toyota blade corolla which the should have used 2grfe awd all they would have had to do was supercharge it or ever direct injection and instant sporty? car

Gunner
6th August 2009, 06:11 PM
dont get me wrong guys, I understand toyota australia's approach, but dont turn your fwd family sedan into a sportscar, and expect it to be the next big thing.I am a mechanic, I have dedicated my life to automobiles, and the automotive industry (to my own demise) I know why manufacturers produce fwd vehicles over any other platform, but despite the fact Toyota in my eyes is the worlds best manufacturer, they have proven over the last 20 years they do not give 2 hoots about Toyota Australia, and have let the brand in Australia drop to the level of mitsubishi. The only thing saving them is the corolla, just like the mirage kept mitsubishi Australia afloat.

They banked TRD Australia, on the aurion, hilux, yates 86, and the easter show, imo this proves Toyota Australia, can do nothing but fwd family cars, and as I said before, it is laughable, that such a big, successful, manufacturer, would take such a path.

Gunner
7th August 2009, 12:18 AM
I am talking about how they tried to sell the trd brand, not how good toyota is, I have already stated, that I do think toyota is the best manufacturer in the world.

As I have said, it all comes down to politics in the Australian automotive industry, that i my belief. There is no room for toyota to bring a true sportscar into the same market as hsv or fpv. I think toyota australia was stupid for trying to produce such a product, with fuck all development, lets get a bodykit, flash interior, slap a new set of rims on it, oh wait how bout a blower, in a fucking camry, stupid idea isn't it.
I would say thats mitsubishi australia standards, but the ralliart magna did actually work alright.

At the end of the day, I as an individual, with my own thought process, and opinions, think toyota australia bombed out with the trd brand.