PDA

View Full Version : what inserts are these?

hachi_dk
3rd January 2010, 09:52 PM
hi guys.
finally got around to pulling out the inserts in my coilies, the part number reads:
trd 4851 1/sta 61 of05
so what i would like to know is wtf are they.
also, the neck of the shock is 40mm wide and i have never seen this before so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Car - ae86

motor - N/A

use - N/A

problem - dont know what sorta shocks these are

occurs/started when - pulled out the insets in my coilies

- will get some pics of the insert soon and as i said they are 40mm wide (seems very odd to me)

Javal
3rd January 2010, 09:55 PM
hi guys.
finally got around to pulling out the inserts in my coilies, the part number reads:
trd 4851 1/sta 61 of05
so what i would like to know is wtf are they.
also, the neck of the shock is 40mm wide and i have never seen this before so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Car - ae86

motor - N/A

use - N/A

problem - dont know what sorta shocks these are

occurs/started when - pulled out the insets in my coilies

- will get some pics of the insert soon and as i said they are 40mm wide (seems very odd to me)

Yeah, they're TRD's.

What colour?

All TRD's have that stepped neck.

hachi_dk
3rd January 2010, 09:58 PM
they paint is all gone and there is no colour :/

slide86
3rd January 2010, 10:03 PM
after the 48511 there should be a dash and another few numbers....thats the part number.

Javal
3rd January 2010, 10:04 PM
The partnumber on mine are 48511-RA491, they are Non-adjustable TRD greens, and they are very stiff.

Below the TRD Logo it also has the marking 'XJ25'. I have no idea what this means, perhaps it's the model or family.

I think a TRD Distributor could shed a bit more light on this.

Are they adjustable at all?

Javal
3rd January 2010, 10:04 PM
trd 4851 1/sta 61

after the 48511 there should be a dash and another few numbers....thats the part number.

48511-sta61

hachi_dk
3rd January 2010, 10:05 PM
they have a nut on the bottom with two holes on either side and they appear adjustable but i havnt tried,
and yes they are stiff as.
i will get pics of them and they seem really strange to me because i have seen TRD inserts before but never with a 40mm neck

.ady
3rd January 2010, 10:15 PM
they look weird as anything! had a look cudnt figure it out myself looks custom made

slide86
3rd January 2010, 10:18 PM
i did the normal thing and entered that number in google......on the trd parts page, that part number is for a ring nut.....not a shocker. look near the bottom of the page

http://www.trdparts.jp/english/list_race_shock.html

http://trdparts02.jp/english/list_race_rally-shock.html

looks like they are some kind of dirt specific shock

Javal
3rd January 2010, 10:23 PM
i did the normal thing and entered that number in google......on the trd parts page, that part number is for a ring nut.....not a shocker. look near the bottom of the page

http://www.trdparts.jp/english/list_race_shock.html

http://trdparts02.jp/english/list_race_rally-shock.html

looks like they are some kind of dirt specific shock

Oh no way, according to this, my TRD greens are actually to suit the RAx, MAx and RT13x! winwinwinwinwinwinwinwiwniwneiwaorfnajlkenfhlsa

Frak
3rd January 2010, 10:57 PM
with TRD shocks(Generally)
48511 denotes front
48531 denotes rears.

usually the next code is two letters which denote the chassis they were originally designed for,

then the shock code.

Matt-AE86
3rd January 2010, 11:22 PM
FWD Celica fronts then ?

Frak
3rd January 2010, 11:24 PM
FWD Celica fronts then ?

Quite possible, over the years I have seen all sorts of TRD shocks used in different applications.

do these shocks have a very large diam piston?

Jonny Rochester
4th January 2010, 09:38 AM
48511-STA61
These shocks are to suit FWD Celica/Carina/Corona ST162 and GT-Four ST165, and AE101/AE111 Corolla/Sprinter.
They are same size to AE92, so perfect size for short stroke AE86. I have ST162 cartridges in my car right now also.

Chop the strut 40mm shorter and use a 20mm spacer as normal.

hachi_dk
8th February 2010, 03:08 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/0/5/4/36086.jpg

thats the insert in the strut.
it has a diameter of 40mm.
this does not look like a normal TRD green insert to me.
anybody know anything about this?

Frak
8th February 2010, 07:00 PM
its a bilstein

It's quite possible that it may still be a TRD shock, some of the TRD KYB/Tokico shocks have large diam pistons, some of the 48511-STAxx's have large diam piston, usually the rally shocks had a big piston.

Frak
8th February 2010, 07:15 PM
hey they might be Billies.

Not long ago I bid on some STA shocks on yahoo, they were big piston, I didn't win the auction but later wasn't too worried as the dampening rates and piston length really didn't suit what I wanted. I have some data somewhere, I'll have a look for, but compared to TRD 48511-AE031(which I currently have fitted) the piston of the STA's is much longer, I really only wanted them if I could win them cheap just to try and see the difference. There was some other reason why they weren't optimal in my set up, but I can't remember....too old!