PDA

View Full Version : Replacing ke70 axel seal

skizzamods
13th January 2010, 05:05 PM
My outer axel seal is leaking in my 70 so it need be changed!

What i need to know is how to remove the cap (or whatever it is) on the hub.

Can provide a photo if need be.

Thanks

ke70dave
13th January 2010, 07:01 PM
eh?

a pic would be good. (unless someone else knows what you mean)

ive not had to remove any caps to pull axles out of standard ke70 diff? just undo that retaining plate (4 chunky bolts you undo through the end of the axel) and then pull axel out.

AND FAR OUT THIS RICK ROLLED THING HAS TO STOP

skizzamods
13th January 2010, 10:32 PM
Hmm maybe i was going about it the wrong way?? Ill get a pic up tomorrow just to be sure though.

R&D Mechanical
13th January 2010, 11:50 PM
if your wheel bearing is fucked then it will fuck out your brand new seal :)

skizzamods
14th January 2010, 11:32 AM
Cheers davey, was going to check that too

What i was going to do was remove the cap in the centre, and then there should be a bold behind it and remove that too to get the hub off, or something along those lines.

Because if I'm replacing the outer seal i don't want to remove the whole axel right?

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/2/8/4/34256.jpg

driftke70
14th January 2010, 11:50 AM
dude the axle is one piece.

rotate it round so that pair of holes on the wheel mounting face line up with bolts behind it, undo them, they will be 14mm. There is four of them.

To get the axle out easier put the drum on backwards and put the wheel nuts on a few turns and use it like a slide hammer.

skizzamods
14th January 2010, 12:10 PM
aight, ill give that a go..

and i know the axel is one piece.

Now I'm probably wrong here but what i meant when saying i don't want to remove the whole axel is that only the outer seal needs changing, so why take the whole axel out.

Meh, I'll just have a shot and if it doesn't work no dramas.

Nikkojoe
14th January 2010, 12:47 PM
The thing you THINK is bearing cap for your hub is a solid cast of the axel. You cannot remove it or do it the way you think it can be done (you probably think it's like the front which it's not).

Do what others have said, remove the axel. It IS the only way to get to the seal.... :/