PDA

View Full Version : cams and valve springs, 4agte

Nic19
24th January 2010, 02:33 PM
hey guys i have been talking to a few people and have tried searching the net but havnt found much good info.

i wanna put a pair of cams on my 4agte sometime this year. my question is whats the biggest cams you would go on the turbo enigne, i was thinking some 264 HKS ones or would you go bigger? i dont want something too extreme but want to still feel a good gain.

also if i go for a pair of cams im gonna get better valve springs. i wanna know if i need something pretty extreme as its gonna have bigger cams and 16psi of boost running through there too? any suggestions on the springs?

Cheers
Nic

Juturna
24th January 2010, 04:29 PM
what do you want it for? i have 264's in my car, pretty gay for street driving cos it has a massive hole just off idle. but rad for skids.

Nic19
24th January 2010, 08:54 PM
well i wanted cams to help with lag wen i have the bigger turbo

R&D Mechanical
24th January 2010, 08:59 PM
you dont want anything bigger in cams i rekon, i also have 264, dont want the boost to leak right out

Nic19
24th January 2010, 09:53 PM
So u think 264 is perfect? I did read somewhere that the hks 265 were the best for turbo engines.
What valve springs would you go? Would it need like double springs or just some regular heavy duty ones??

R&D Mechanical
24th January 2010, 10:13 PM
im not saying perfect, but its what everyone seems to be running with a turbo 4age, i got my motor from japan with the cams and gears already on it :)

Juturna
24th January 2010, 10:42 PM
if you want less lag..... keep em stock, not alot beats the stock cams low down. i have 264's and they are wikid, though my turbo is huge so it wouldnt matter cos i have nothing under 5g.... lol

Sam-Q
25th January 2010, 08:20 AM
not the answer your looking for but you could reduce lag with your intercooler and dump pipe design. What type of dump pipe are you using?

Nic19
25th January 2010, 10:10 AM
Cooler piping is as short as possible. Dump is a 3" just 90degree bend.

resol
25th January 2010, 10:31 AM
hey nic,

you pick your cams to suit yuor setup. what turbo are you running? stock engine internals? big port or smallport?

cams can reduce lag/increase spool up of the turbo but you have to get the duration/lift right to match the turbo so things start to happen at the right revs. adjustable cams arent 100% nessessary if you buy good cams, but they are a good idea because it gives you the ability to change the over lap of the cams to help move the power band a little through the revs.

springs and lifters may need up grading depending the on the cam. how well the bucket over shim set-up in the 4age responds to bigger lift etc so would have to suss that out.

as far as brands HKS are obviously a big brand, but there plenty out there that are good and dont carry the $$$ tag. have only heard BAD things about BRIAN CROWER cams, they need to have adjustable cam gears just to get them back to 0 degrees...however the BC springs are supposed to be fine.

CROWER are different to BC and are worth a look into.
WADE cams are also supposed to be very good, especially their regrinds (which will be cheaper then complete new cams).

either way cams are more then "what size should i run", you have to take into accoutn the rest of the engine parts also.

-dan