PDA

View Full Version : turbo pretend boosting

callum1
25th January 2010, 06:31 PM
Car - 86

motor - 4agte

use - weekend driving

problem -turbo boosting fine (if not earlier than before) but its not putting the power down, like it makes all the same noises and that, but i dont go fast.

occurs/started when -i was mucking around with idol/cas to sort a high idol problem, got the idol down and BAM, boost gayness happened, turned the idol back up and problem still exists. i checked all the intercooler piping and its all tight and no holes.

personal situation - unmarried, but i have a girlfreind, saving up for a house, watching family guy atm...

biggo
25th January 2010, 09:55 PM
I dont get what you are asking. Do you have a boost guage that shows VAC/boost?

--Redwork--
25th January 2010, 10:30 PM
What did you do to your CAS.??? if your timing is off that will make it feel lazy.
From what your say with your turbo boosting alittle earlier, it sounds like you've accedentally retarded the timing...

Juturna
25th January 2010, 10:45 PM
get a bigger turbo. 3037's go mad. i would know....

callum1
25th January 2010, 11:05 PM
I dont get what you are asking. Do you have a boost guage that shows VAC/boost?

yesm and it reads like normal. to 15psi, however it just doesnt have the kick of a turbo. it FEELS like an intercooler hose is loose, or off. but non of them are.

corknose
26th January 2010, 09:55 AM
check for leaks.

boost+k
26th January 2010, 01:58 PM
sounds like timing to me, or limp mode... you didn't leave it in dianostic mode or something?

waht computer etc?

--Redwork--
26th January 2010, 03:12 PM
get a bigger turbo. 3037's go mad. i would know....

You can't go telling ppl that...Not with out extra details..

3037 is a BIG turbo. wheather you think their not is entirly up to you..
I'm considering getting one for my sr in 52 trim, and that is boderline to what i would consider to still be reasonably responsive..
And why would you want a turbo that is cappable of 400whp on a 4a anyways... you never goin to use it to its potential...

ae71
26th January 2010, 03:22 PM
maybe he was just being funny about that turbo size. you would be crazy just to go out and buy a turbo from one person saying so... but if he did he would be a right turkey lol

check ignition and cam timing. esp ignition as you have been playing around with it. cam timing not very likely to have jumped a tooth.

sundee
26th January 2010, 03:29 PM
What do u mean by mucking around with the idol/CAS - did u actually set the timing with a timing light? if u didnt all i can say it your gonna stuff your engine! especially critical on a turbo motor.
you need to go back and reset what you attempted to fix, aka the timing - yes playing with the timing affects RPM but its not your solution - an adverse affect actually!

your high idol is most commonly caused by a vacume leak.

re set the timing with a timing light or it will be the end of your engine in no time . guarenteed, setting the timing with your ear and RPM can lead to engine failure.

Drift_Dan
27th January 2010, 05:49 PM
I had that same problem with my girlfriends r33, turned out to be leaky cooler pipe and blow off valve. If you have a BOV that is venting to atmosphere just check that it isnt leaking when the turbo comes on boost or even block it off completely and go for a drive and see if it feels better, it wont hurt anything and you will tell straight away if that is the problem.

sundee
27th January 2010, 05:56 PM
and then their is the BOV... hmm

callum1
27th January 2010, 10:18 PM
im happy with the turbo i got jono. yea i did muck with the cas, but timing was reset with a timing light. hmm. ill look into the bov thing.

Hen may possibly be a nut
27th January 2010, 10:37 PM
I'd say double check timing (again). And make sure it's in diagnostics mode when setting timing (if stock computer).

Also if stock computer check for error codes then fix and reset them. As mentioned it could be limp mode.

Again if it's a stock computer you might have leaky capacitors. Unlikely that it'd pop it's head up like this when you've bene playing with something else, but possible.

If it's showing good boost but not making power I'd be suspicous of timing, either ignition or cam.

Hen

driftke70
27th January 2010, 11:37 PM
Idle