PDA

View Full Version : 4age fuel setup in ae71

blake.
23rd February 2010, 07:38 PM
hey i'm in the process of getting parts for aa smallport converstion in my ae71 and i'm about to look at buying a fuel setup.

i've asked this question and have never really got a clear answer.

i'mm looking to go as cheap as possable but i dont want it to be dodgy.

can anyone tell me exactly wot i will need?

Sam-Q
23rd February 2010, 07:54 PM
VL fuel pump and efi rubber lines, that's it!

just keep the fuel over a quarter for street and over half for track

blake.
23rd February 2010, 08:05 PM
so that is external and i wont need a surge tank?

"just keep the fuel over a quarter for street and over half for track"

does this suggest the fuel tank itself is a surge tank?

blake.
23rd February 2010, 08:07 PM
also is there a differance between the VL and VL turbo fuel pumps?

Sam-Q
23rd February 2010, 08:08 PM
do a search on fuel surge, the rollaclub wiki is good in this matter. Surge tanks just stop fuel surge, if the fuel is full enough you avoid it

blake.
23rd February 2010, 08:09 PM
ohk thankss for your help mate :)

Sam-Q
23rd February 2010, 08:12 PM
also is there a differance between the VL and VL turbo fuel pumps?

yes, the normal one has spade terminals and the other has bolt on terminals, I don't even know why they bothered to make that different but that's about it

blake.
23rd February 2010, 08:15 PM
so no real differance?

Tim.duncan
24th February 2010, 01:02 AM
i would go a surge tank, if your looking at doing things cheaply, and you blow your new 4age beacuse of fuel starvation at high rpm around a corner this = not cheap!

do it properly do it once!

all you need is a lift pump and surge tank before the vl pump. search in the tech articles section ke70dave has done a pretty good write up on under car set ups, is very usefull

carefull watching on ebay can get you most things you need at a fairly good price

Prewer
24th February 2010, 09:21 AM
http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww330/aprewer/fuel.jpg

Blake, heres a pic of my setup, pretty simple, rattler pump mounted under the car, VL efi in the boot

Might i also add, no fuel smell inside the cabin either

Check my thread out if you want a few hints and tips, mine aint no show car, but ive done what was needed to be done to get it going pretty sweet for what it is

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=4646&page=5&highlight=prewer

ke70dave
24th February 2010, 11:04 AM
i would go a surge tank, if your looking at doing things cheaply, and you blow your new 4age beacuse of fuel starvation at high rpm around a corner this = not cheap!

do it properly do it once!

all you need is a lift pump and surge tank before the vl pump. search in the tech articles section ke70dave has done a pretty good write up on under car set ups, is very usefull

carefull watching on ebay can get you most things you need at a fairly good price

thanks for the plug mate!

also check out my build thread (have a search in the ke70 section), i have changed my setup a bit and have used an internal lift pump. i have use an intank from a VL commondore (adopted to a ke70 non baffled tank), it keeps the high pressure pump VERY happy, the setup is silent.

so i have

-intank VL lift pump (mounted intank)
-600ml surge tank (mounted under car)
-high pressure vl pump (mounted under car)
-few filters thrown in there too

i suggest not using a vl high pressure pump standalone, they are not designed to suck fuel. i had this setup for about 5months, and the pump would not shutup, was so noisy, and if i hit a corner hard with a lowish tank it would surge.

also sucking air will quickly destroy a high pressure pump. (well any pump for that matter, they rely on the fuel to cool it)

also DO NOT use an oversized pump, the VL pump is 130gallons/hour @ 3bar pressure. i had an o44 pump in there (200gallons/hour @ 5bar) and i was getting epic vapour lock issues. (google it, its very interesting). also the standard fuel pressure regulator cannot handle the 044, i was getting 45psi fuel pressure at idle, when it should only be 33psi or so.

the standard pump in an ae86 sprinter only 80 gallons/hour, so yer anything over this for a standard engine is somewhat of an overkill.

Nikkojoe
24th February 2010, 12:37 PM
For cheap just run a vl pump, although as ke70dave said its not designed to suck. I ran my bigport for a year like this, then my gze for a year like this including out on the track. I did have fuel surge issues if i went below 1/4, but i never go that low on any of my cars anyway...

IMO the best cheap setup is an adm ae86 tank with a modified ae82 4age cradle and lift pump. This is my current setup in my other 4agze 86 and I dont have issues with fuel surge unless fuel light is on. It's also silent too!

blake.
25th February 2010, 08:37 PM
thanks for all the help guys. might have to sspend aa bit more than i wanted,as Tim.duncan sayed "you dont want to blow your fresh 4age" :D

blake.
25th February 2010, 08:54 PM
i'm fairly instersted in prewer's setup,

what is a rattler pump and how does it work?

blake.
25th February 2010, 08:59 PM
just read ke70dave's write up, it is pretty awesome.

idk yet. all i know is i need a vl pump, rattler pump, surge tank and some fuel line :)

ke70dave
25th February 2010, 09:30 PM
i'm fairly instersted in prewer's setup,

what is a rattler pump and how does it work?

nooo not a rattler!

i ran one for a while (as you saw in that tech article). sooo noisy.

check this

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=6459&page=3&highlight=ke70dave

thats my build thread, and ive got in there how i put a lift pump inside my tank.

muuucchh better than a rattler, but more work though unfortunately. its worth it to have silent pumps though:D

blake.
28th February 2010, 07:47 PM
http://www.rollaclub.com/faq/index.php?title=Tech:Engine/A_Series/Installing_EFI_Lifter_Pump_into_AE86_Fuel_Tank

this article looks pretty good. might try that :)

trikzlane
28th February 2010, 08:03 PM
i run;

fedro universal lift pump - $50
vl main pump - $ around 80
1.5L surge tank - $60 ebay
8.5mm lines - $20
s13 fuel filter and a universal filter for the lifter pump - $30

and all mount neatly in the boot

the advantage of my setup is that you still get the full use of the boot unlike the typical setups by most people

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/4/8/38038.jpg