PDA

View Full Version : axle tramp. best way to fix?

trueno_coupe
4th March 2010, 01:00 AM
Car - jdm ae86 coupe

motor - 4age bigport

use -drift/daily

problem -axle tramp

occurs/started when -mainly first gear

Hi all. My car has extreme axle tramp when taking off from the lights in the wet, im not accelerating hard or anything, but sometimes they spin and it just tramps like crazy. My car isnt extremely low (120mm) at lowest point, but ive heard about traction brackets, and adjustable trailing arms and was just seeing what would be my best option to fix this problem. thanks

Todd
4th March 2010, 01:03 AM
let us know a couple of things like rate of spring, and what shocks they are paired with, and if adjustable what setting they are on.
traction brackets will help your problem, and a good matching combination of the above will also help.

others know more than me about this topic however, so i will wait for them to answer.

--Redwork--
4th March 2010, 01:17 AM
Tramp is basically your syspension WINDING UP and then suddenly unloading when it losses traction. then grips and starts all over again...
First thing to look at is your trailing arm bushes.. If they're average, fix them and you'll be at least half way to fixing the problem....
And then spring/shock rates come into play.

Gar-4-age 86
4th March 2010, 04:04 AM
Usually find that traction brackets sort the problem corrects the angle of the lower arm...but again im no expert..

lach
4th March 2010, 04:17 AM
i reckon either trailing arm bushes or shocks are stuffed.

AJPS
4th March 2010, 10:18 AM
yeah def sounds like shocks and or trailing arm bushes

once you add more power etc traction brackets help with tramp and traction from there on

They will help fix your current problem, but the shocks or the bushes are the root of the problem, fix them first

marvis
4th March 2010, 12:49 PM
I agree with what Dave said (ajps)

trueno_coupe
5th March 2010, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the speedy replies. In the rear i have 4kg tein springs with 4-way adjustable kyb agx shocks on their hardest setting and a whiteline adjustable swaybar on hardest setting, everything else in the rear is standard.. i checked the trailing arm bushes, they are stock but they appear to be ok. the shocks have no signs of leaking and seem to control the springs fine. So im thinking stiffer bushes in the trailing arms and traction brackets are the way to go?

Sam-Q
5th March 2010, 12:29 AM
I would of thought that traction brackets would increase the amount of tramp because of the additional grip. Even if your stock bushes look ok change them. That's because if you have enough power to make the tyres jump them you probably have more power than what they where originally made for, that and being old and shit

ae86-13b
5th March 2010, 01:02 PM
i had this problem bad it was my shockers were no good. do shocks and traling arms bushes should be good. get decent shocks

Cameron_Datto
5th March 2010, 10:23 PM
Adjust your shocks to the softest REBOUND setting you can get ,, The harder your rebound the worst the you axle tramp will be , I now people who have driledl out the valving in Koni shocks to sofen up the rebound further , to eliminate the axle tramp .

jaz_ae86
5th March 2010, 10:52 PM
Also, replace the bushes that the dampers use (ie top and bottom). If they are worn, your dampers cannot be doing their job 100%.
I changed my old TRD blue bottom bushes and it stopped the high speed (160kph+) deceleration axel tramp I was getting, I have now swapped to Nolathane top and bottom bushes.

I also have to say that going to traction brackets did help tramp a long time ago.

trueno_coupe
6th March 2010, 11:16 AM
ok thanks.i guess i will start with changing all the bushes, then try new shocks, thanks for the help guys

Craved
8th March 2010, 04:16 PM
how hard are the "traction brackets" to source?

AJPS
8th March 2010, 04:48 PM
easy, you have pm

FAST EDDIE
9th March 2010, 06:40 PM
changed to urethane bushes in mine and fixed the issue straight away, would do that first!

shuvke70
13th March 2010, 07:47 PM
my 2c, I'd use traction brackets (lowers the angle of the lower trailing arms, creats less rebound n axle tramp) If your after the best performance gain without going rose jointed use super pro bushes in your trailing arms... if you still have issues after this perhaps look into equal length trailing arms? closest you will get to irs on live axle

ke_70
13th March 2010, 08:33 PM
does equal length arms accually help?