PDA

View Full Version : Hydro Handbrake for a ke70

ke70 xx
28th March 2010, 12:12 PM
Went out to drift practice last night and snapped my handbrake cable on the second run, so I figured it is probably best to upgrade before I give it another crack and snap more cables. Was wondering if anyone could provide pictures on how they did theres in a ke70, and would be able to tell me if I should upgrade to a better diff with disc brakes? Any help is appreciated as Its all a learning curve. Cheers Troy

trikzlane
29th March 2010, 06:53 PM
wow, thats odd, never heard off one snapping. might have been really weak, so maybe try gust getting another one first

KENut
29th March 2010, 07:47 PM
I dont see how you would set up a hydro hand brake for drums without disconnecting the line from the foot brake master.
IMO it would be much better to run a disk brake diff with extra calipers

ke70dave
29th March 2010, 08:01 PM
i dont think its even possible to put a hydraulic handbrake in a drum brake. in fact...it isnt.

drum brakes are supposed to be superiour to disc brakes, because they have so much surface area. down side is they overheat easily. which is why they work so well for handbrake, but not so well for normal brakes.

you can get new handbrake cables made by companies that work on caravans (so i have heard, but it makes sense). or just get another cable and hope for the best. i assume the cable "snapped" at a connection point. you'll be hard pressed to actually snap the cable itself.

Sam-Q
29th March 2010, 10:17 PM
I dont see why it would be any less possible than a disk to hook up

Andy San
31st March 2010, 10:58 PM
a hydraulic handbrake is just as easy to setup as a disc one would be, just plumb in the handbrake into the rear brake line as you would with any other application, disc or drum.

i'd look at fixing up the cable setup first though, as they should work pretty effectively, unless you're trying to lock up 245 semi slicks or something.

gslrallysport
26th May 2011, 05:38 PM
Disc or drum, makes absolutely no difference to the installation of a hydraulic handbrake.

If you're genuinely interested we've got the same handbrake I personally run in my car on special at the moment, $275 including the cylinder:
http://obpltd.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/OBPAHB003.jpg
It's full alloy, so light as... You don't realise how heavy a metal handbrake assembly is until you hold them side by side!!!

lolwat
26th May 2011, 07:43 PM
its simple you put the hydro set up inline with your normal brakes (master >>> lines>>> up to hydro>>> lines>> rear drums

your brake pedal will still be the same and when you pull on handle your front brakes wont go on, and your rears will lock u easy as

you can do that with drum and calipers, drums make good brakes as there is less force needed to lock and bind compared to calipers and rotors