PDA

View Full Version : xt130 lca's

doots
29th March 2010, 09:32 PM
ive got xt 130 corona lower control arms for my ke70 and i was gonna put em on but im not sure if it would be best to get adjustable castor arms. any thoughts?

any budget option to support it? will go rose joint if it seems appropriate

Sam-Q
29th March 2010, 10:28 PM
they have adjustable castor from factory?

Chrisso
30th March 2010, 12:15 PM
ive got xt 130 corona lower control arms for my ke70 and i was gonna put em on but im not sure if it would be best to get adjustable castor arms. any thoughts?

I don't see why you can't have the xt130 lca's and adjustable castor bars. However, if you mean adjustable (ie rose jointed) lca's, then I would suppose it's a question of is the ~extra 10mm per side from the xt130's going to be what you want or do you want more/less? Some of the site sponsors can help with pricing. Rex Kelway in SA makes them and sells through AJPS. I'm sure there are also plenty of other options.

marvis
30th March 2010, 12:53 PM
Just put the LCA's in and wind stock castor arms to max.

Delazy
30th March 2010, 01:03 PM

:thumbup:

hachi_dk
30th March 2010, 02:08 PM

winding them to max means that he would probably pull about 7 degrees positive castor which is too much (i think).
i have stock 86 castor rods and run 5.5 positive castor and there is still thread left to pull more castor.

- on a side note, with the 5.5 degrees positive castor i have, my front bar has not been needed to be brought foreward and my 15's clear just fine.

Filip

doots
30th March 2010, 10:52 PM
yer wheels are fine only got 13's on. +7 degrees castor seems alot. isnt 2.5 degrees recommended?
and is it worth getting new bushes for castor rods?

to be completely honest castor is beyond me and i dont have enough experience to know whats best for my driving style. any1 adept in the field of castor?

cheers for the response it goes along way.

hachi_dk
31st March 2010, 12:59 AM
in the field of drift castor has the following role/roles. the more castor, the quicker the "flick-back" of the wheel during transitions and you do "less driving" or actual wheel work, less castor means you gotta do more of the work throwing the car around.

there is no generic recommended castor setting as its really about driving style, some people like doing less wheel work and some like doing more.
try out your car with more and less castor and see the difference that it makes.

doots
31st March 2010, 10:28 PM
oh cool. i think that was actually the perfect answer. cheers heaps.

AJPS
1st April 2010, 04:01 PM
winding them to max means that he would probably pull about 7 degrees positive castor which is too much (i think).
i have stock 86 castor rods and run 5.5 positive castor and there is still thread left to pull more castor.

- on a side note, with the 5.5 degrees positive castor i have, my front bar has not been needed to be brought foreward and my 15's clear just fine.

Filip

Not having a go, but in my experiences 3 ae86 and about 10 e7s these figures are wrong.

Stock ae86 can get about 4 degrees caster with stock set up
Stock ae71 with the different strut tops can get about 4.5

Over 3.5 caster on an ae86 with 15x8 you need to cut or move bar for caster.

hachi_dk
1st April 2010, 09:33 PM
hmm, thats interesting because i have stock castor rods and have pulled 5.5 degrees positive castor with thread to pull more.
im running 15's and havnt had to move the bar yet.
dno wtf is goin on with my car then

doots
3rd April 2010, 01:49 PM
just got my wheel alignment done and they gave me 3.3 degrees caster (cant do 3.5 like i asked?)
still got plenty of room left so id say itd go as high as 5 degrees.

is it worth doing caster rod bushes or is it just overkill?

Ella
7th April 2010, 04:51 PM
i had all my bushes done in the front end except the caster ones (ke70, xt130 LCAs and struts) then i did my caster rod bushes, big difference, much recommended. you can definately feel the difference.

chrisjjanfd3s
7th April 2010, 05:14 PM
Just a side note on castor is that positive castor will also lead to increase in steering effort (ie its harder to turn the steering wheel) and a decrease in steering feel (especially during corner entry). Suspension like most things is a balencing act, a bit of positive castor can be a good thing but too much will ruin the car.

The best baseline for alignment is -2 camber 2 total toe out and 3.5 + castor. Taken straight form the AJPS web site

doots
7th April 2010, 08:37 PM
was thinking of doing bushes or going adjustable rose jointed. not sure yet. thanks for the tip though

yer it seems to be a bit nonexistant turning into a corner its a bit strange. steering rack bushes should help a bunch though right?

Ella
12th April 2010, 02:09 AM
those are the only link im my entire front end not replaced so i cant comment on how they feel once replaced, how ever i can see visible movement in mine and can feel it when im driving so it on the list of things to do!

Bluterus
20th May 2010, 02:04 PM
Hey guys I have a question at the moment I have a KE70 with stock LCA's, AE86 struts but with KE70 lowered springs and tops and KE70 Castor rods.

Do you think I could pull 3.5+ castor with this setup? I haven't put it all back in yet so haven't experimented. I just don't want to put it all in to find it wont do what I want then have to pull it all out again.

I also have 86 strut tops I could use if I buy some 86 springs.

jay70
20th May 2010, 03:08 PM
you will lose castor with ae86 strut tops. you should be able to get 3.5+ with ke70 stuff, the main problem you will get with a ke70 is hitting the guards.

this is ae86 strut tops and +2.3
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/0/44302.jpg
the gaurds had to pulled up and forwards to get clearance. looked pretty bad in real life

MR 86
20th May 2010, 03:09 PM
Are you guys running the same amount of camber on each side ?
If you can provide specs right and left, with caster , toe will be great to compare.

Konakid
20th May 2010, 03:47 PM
Should have got poly castor bushes first!!

Def a worthy mod, should make all your bushes poly, rubber has way to much give.

maxed stock rods is a good starting point and soooo much better than stock.

For drifting im not sure if its a good idea to run heaps of castor (over 5) due to the inside wheel rubbing the outside of the tyres shoulder when sideways on opposite lock.

Bluterus
20th May 2010, 04:48 PM
Wow that is effin close. I guess that is why people flare the bottom front corner. Its all going in Saturday so I'll see how I go.
I reckon I'm going to have issues as my 14x7 hotwires sit right out to the edge of the guard and almost hit as it is.

Gotta rebuild my rack tonight can't wait to see how this thing handles with all new superpro bushes and 24mm front 18mm rear adjustable swaybars and panhard rod.

jdm70
20th May 2010, 08:11 PM
it will b a new car to drive mate honestly just new bushes makes a big difference

Bluterus
21st May 2010, 11:02 AM
It will be man once I'm finished I reckon this thing will last another 27years. All new everything.

ke70dave
21st May 2010, 11:33 AM
also recall that your ride height will effect the castor angle.

castor is the angle between the centre of the top of your shock absorber (centre of strut) and your lower ball joint on the end of your LCA. and this is compared to a vertical line from your ball joint up.

simply "winding the castor all the way to the end" will not give the same results on all cars.

and even if you have the same amount of castor (properly measure by a wheel alignment, not how much thread you have left) the feel of this is also dependant on a number of factors such as wheel size, scrub radius, tyres size, steering mods, the tyres themselves.

as stated its all a balance, and can only be tested out by the driver with experimentation.

Bluterus
21st May 2010, 12:01 PM
I've never really played with car suspension adjustments before but its one of the reasons I'm building the KE so I can learn. I'll get mine setup by a shop first then play with it from there to see the affects.

doots
28th May 2010, 01:58 PM
ive replaced the castor rod bushes with super pros and it made a world of difference.
Bluterus do you have a build thread? have you taken it for a drive yet? would be keen to see results.
ive got 15x7's on at the moment and i was smashing the guard so i took an angle grinder to it and it actually looks better plus it means i can go mental on castor.
ive got prettty stock springs in so its given me heaps of castor angle. i can just about not hold the wheel in a slide.

another question actually relating to the topic. will i be able to use ke70 kuckles on the lcas or will i need 86 knuckles. with any luck the should be balljointed and in by next week.
i got lazy and got a mechanic to remove the bushes. and now he's taken a page from my book.

Bluterus
29th May 2010, 05:19 PM
I do have a build thread but not haven't got it going yet. Realised I needed 86 arms to suit the 86 struts. Still a few weeks away from finishing.