PDA

View Full Version : Water System - Where to install temp sensor?

blair
30th March 2010, 09:07 PM
Car - 86

motor - 16v Bigport Head with RWD JDM setup.

use - occasional trip to the corner store and back

problem - need to know if i'm going to overheat on the way!

occurs/started when - i decided to install a guage to show me this vital information.

personal situation - Is there constant water flowing through this hose that goes externally from the front of the head to the rear? as i'm going to get a thread adaptor to put my new sensor in the block at the back of the head?

I'm not to familiar with where the water flows :)

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/4/9/40929.jpg

Sam-Q
30th March 2010, 09:14 PM
ok for a start hooking it up like will bypass your radiator. That metal pipe is meant to come off your heater core and the one off the back of the head to your heater flow control tap. If your not running a heater then block them off.

That block on the back of the head is internally connected to the front outlet, so it's fine to use. So why not use the stock position in the top radiator outlet?

Nikkojoe
30th March 2010, 09:19 PM
This was similar statement in another recent thread.

Water gets sucked up from the bottom radiator outlet into the water pump and pumped around the engine, pushed up into the head where it flows out of the top radiator outlet and the rear of head outlet.

The rear head outlet is usually connected to the heater tap, and the other side pipe that runs along the block goes to one of the heater core outlets. If you are to bridge these like shown in your pic, the hot water from the rear of head will go straight back into the pump and pushed through the block and head again. In theory, the with the heater core and tap connected, it will either block the flow when not in use or the water will be cooler after it leaves the heater core therefore no hot water entering the engine again.

If you aren't running a heater, plate off the side pipe at the rear of the water pump housing, and weld up the rear head outlet so the pipe is blocked.

blair
30th March 2010, 09:21 PM
That isnt actually my setup sorry, was just using the image for reference of the pipe going alongside the engine, which mine has.
and the block that goes on the back of the head man
Mine also has the pipe you mentioned, going up to the heater tap. buuuuut i dont think i have an actual heater? hmm will look into it further.

Not using stock position, as thats still running the temp guage on the dash.
Other option i was looking at was an inline radiator hose setup - but they are fugly as!
Would just also like to know what approx actual temp aswel (two guages wins lol)

Nikkojoe
30th March 2010, 09:24 PM
If you have a proper rwd water setup, there are some top outlets that have 2 threaded holes into it so you can theoretically run two temp sensors. It's a genuine item but you can get them on yahoo.

I actually have one on my car atm :)

You could also always get a fitting welded or tapped into the outlet so you can run the sender too

blair
30th March 2010, 09:32 PM
Yes. i have these two holes with sensors in them. Hence the picture showing that exact thing? and me saying that that's what i have?

Was just wanting to know if there was regular flow of water here, or they are only used in the heater setup or something silly?

c'mon guys :P

My engine is carbed, so both sensors arent going anywhere, hence why i'm looking at just removing the larger one and getting a thread adaptor to slap my aftermarket one in :)

blair
30th March 2010, 09:38 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/4/9/549403.jpg

:)

ke70dave
30th March 2010, 09:58 PM
going on this picture id say that it is,

http://www.billzilla.org/4agwater.gif

also the standard 4age has the ecu temp sensor in that position, so you would hope that toyota put their sender in an area with continual flow of water.

so long as you put that sender on the engine side of the thermostat you will be right.

blair
30th March 2010, 10:03 PM
also the standard 4age has the ecu temp sensor in that position, so you would hope that toyota put their sender in an area with continual flow of water.

This is pretty much what i was banking on :)

That diagram has an extra pipe that i dont have i think?

Sam-Q
30th March 2010, 11:06 PM
thats where the temp gauge is factory, so yes that's where you put it

Nikkojoe
30th March 2010, 11:42 PM
Yes. i have these two holes with sensors in them.

No you don't. I am talking about the top radiator outlet at the front of engine, not the rear one.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/1/0/10195.jpg

blair
30th March 2010, 11:49 PM
Ok, true. As previously stated, mine has only 1. and its already used.