View Full Version : Kaaz loud as hell!?

Skylar
3rd April 2010, 03:02 AM
Car - Corolla

motor - 4A

use - personal transport

problem - loud diff

occurs/started when - from previous owner

personal situation - So, I bought this FC a few days ago. It has a tein coilover man and kaaz stickers on the back. The car has tein coils so I'd think it has a kaaz too. Now, the problem is it clunks like hell, like, super loud. It ratchets/bangs on and off and it does it more times if I'm more on the throttle than less on the throttle. Foot to the floor while cornering and it spins the inside wheel and doesn't clunk at all(although it doesn't break out into a burnout 'cause it's gutless). Is this normal for a kaaz? The diff does have a fair amount of backlash but I don't imagine that's the noise I'm hearing while I turn and accelerate. I've driven a car with a rather new cusco RS in it with penrite 90w140 and it was tight but didn't clunk at all. Is it normal for a kaaz to be a gigantic piece of shit or could the diff be broken internally?

I take it friction modifier/lsd additive will help in this case?

Thanks.

Sam-Q
3rd April 2010, 08:35 AM
you could try changing the oil and trying something new

ae86
3rd April 2010, 09:51 AM
friends kaaz in his T series chewed its own insides not sure if it was due to stress or what but it was the 4 gears in the middle of the 2way, hope u havnt got the same issue

sundee
3rd April 2010, 10:55 AM
could need an oil change, or the diff could of had a hard life...never the less it shouldnt be as noisy as you described, you could safley say something needs attending to.

hachi_dk
3rd April 2010, 12:01 PM
like others have said before me, change the oil and what i would do is add a p.t.f.e additive into the oil (pretty cheap like $15 and its good shit), if its still that bad then pull it apart

sundee
3rd April 2010, 01:17 PM
you could try the additive DK is talking about - get a good oil - me and penrite get on well:

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/gear-oils/limslip_85w-140
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/gear-oils/limslip_additive_7098

Nikkojoe
3rd April 2010, 03:48 PM
personal situation - So, I bought this FC a few days ago......

I don't see you for a week and this happens

But will come see it soon i guess, maybe today?

Skylar
4th April 2010, 12:59 AM
Seems diff's coming out monday to get backlash set and maybe even crack the thing open to see if it's fine inside. Then I'll see what new oil does.

I have that 85w140 in the corolla with the cusco. I put that thick shit in coz I'm not happy with the cusco and the f-series and the axles. Kaaz diff oil is 80w90 so I'll put penrite limslip90 in and then the LSD additive in bit by bit if it needs it.

Also noticed this on kaaz site:
DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC BASE OIL ON KAAZ LSD. Kaaz LSD may not function smoothly.
Sounds exactly like what it's doing. Stupid rotary car! shouldn't have bought one.

ae71
4th April 2010, 03:09 AM
i saw this thread annd thought 'oh shit i just brought a new kazz' lol

Wally332
4th April 2010, 08:14 PM
i got a kaaz 2way in my civic. its loud as hell with the kaaz diff oil in but it locks seems weird that urs isnt locking

Nikkojoe
4th April 2010, 10:41 PM
i got a kaaz 2way in my civic. its loud as hell with the kaaz diff oil in but it locks seems weird that urs isnt locking

It is locking. Pretty much locks so hard on the slightest of accel, but off throttle into corner its fine (have to go fast, then off throttle before turning into corner otherwise it acts like a welded diff). It is extremely violent.

Wally332
4th April 2010, 11:30 PM
thats kaaz from what ive read, heard and experienced. there very aggressive diffs.

Nikkojoe
5th April 2010, 11:16 PM
My kaaz doesn't do that. It's engagement is noisy, but its not that agressive. This bangs and hops if you turn while giving just enough accel to move the car, but its much smoother when you give it more throttle. May be tight, but age is unknown (or if it really is a kaaz).

Oil was changed today, doing some small figure 8's seemed to make it less agressive, although it still is bad.

Wally332
6th April 2010, 01:34 AM
might be time for an upgrade or take it to perfect transmissions in bibralake. he rebuilt my box and diff at a good price. he knows his shit been doin it for years. get him to do an overhaul on it

Skylar
6th April 2010, 02:23 AM
haha yeah, I bought a cusco RS for my car, not a hunk of (possibly broken) junk kaaz.

As nikkojoe said, changed diff oil today. Made no difference. If anything, it clunks less and locks up more with penrite 80w90. but the noise it makes is the exact same. Might try and get a video if I can. Tomorrow is limslip additive and see if it makes it better.

If limslip additive can't fix this mess then I'll take it to perfect trans., the guy I was going to take it to is apparently busy.

This thing is so radical that the sheetmetal of the doors resonates with the banging of the diff. What's even more awesome is, I let my dad drive it the other way and the banging totally phazed him while going round a roundabout that he straightened the steering to stop the noise and drove it straight up a kerb.

Grant #2
6th April 2010, 01:29 PM
KAAZ are loud for S13/S14 too. We added some limited slip additive...just enough to make the noise go away. Normally a bunch of this stuff will make the LSD not work very well, but the KAAZ is so aggressive that it still locked up just fine.