PDA

View Full Version : AE86 water lines to heater system

khoala
5th April 2010, 12:03 AM
did a search but nothing really answered my question. im running a bigport 4age with fwd thermostat, and just need some clarification on a few things:

1) heater flow control tap: does the water outlet on the back of the head connect to the hose thats closest to the firewall or the hose thats closest to you (imagine you are standing in front of your 4age)

2) the 2 outlets on the firewall from the heater core: which one connects to the heater flow control tap and which one connects to the thermostat outlet

i took my 86 for a spin today and my coolant overflow bottle and radiator started steaming up, so i think ive got my water lines mixed up somewhere. had mate come over to inspect it but were still a bit hazy, any help is appreciated cheers

khoa

Nikkojoe
5th April 2010, 04:29 PM
Rear of head outlet to heater tap.

LHS heater core outlet (when looking at firewall) to remote thermostat outlet, although it shouldn't matter.

khoala
5th April 2010, 07:09 PM
thats what ive had connected the whole time, hmmm. when the engine has been on for a few minutes, steam starts pissing out the overflow bottle. either i need to increase the speed of the thermo fans or my thermostat is buggered. time to sus it out

ke70dave
5th April 2010, 07:13 PM
sounds to me like you have a stuffed radiator cap that isnt holding pressure.

give the radiator hoses a squeeze when its up to temp, it should have pressure in it.

you shoudlnt need to use your thermo fans at all. unless you have been stopped for more than 10minuites.

khoala
5th April 2010, 07:20 PM
when i tested the 4age, i didnt take it for a drive, so it was stationary for about 5-10 minutes, and when i turned it off the steam started bubbling up in the overflow bottle. the top radiator hose has good pressure when the engine is running, and the bottom radiator hose has somewhat less pressure. should the bottom radiator hose have the same amount of pressure as the top hose?

Nikkojoe
5th April 2010, 11:18 PM
You either have:

Stuffed thermostat,
Blocked radiator,
Shit cap.

System is over pressurising, but to me if your top hose has more pressure than the bottom then you have a blockage somewhere. How did you do your coolant lines to the remote thermostat?

khoala
5th April 2010, 11:40 PM
i ripped this pic off a post from sam-q.

2) bottom radiator hose
4) to heater core
6) top water outlet which connects to the top radiator hose
7) to water pump

i think thats pretty much right.

and i dont think its my rad cap, theres no signs of pressure escaping from the rad cap, im still thinking its either my thermo fans arent running fast enough, or my thermostat is stuffed or as you said nikkojoe, it may even be the radiator