PDA

View Full Version : TRD shocks-What Do all the Colours mean?!?!?

schubey
6th April 2010, 08:44 PM
When your talking TRD shockies I know there are afew colours.

I have herd of TRD Blue, Orange and yellow.....

What is the colour coding sysytem?

How do they differ ?

Im sure somone knows the answer :)

thanks

Todd
6th April 2010, 09:09 PM
can add green to that list too.
have actually always wondered this, figure it has something to do with the valving/stiffness/length of each but it would be nice to know exactly :)

ae86
7th April 2010, 09:57 AM
yeah not too sure exactly i know yellows for the front are normally ae92/3/4 normally used as fronts in custom coilovers for us
not too many people get greens(front shocks) ? not sure why
blues are adj rears afaik?

jay70
7th April 2010, 11:41 AM
from what i've seen

blue are short stroke, short body, adjustable, front and rear
yellow are short stroke, short body, not adjustable, front
green are short stroke, standard body length, adjustable, front and rear

but ive also seen long stroke non adjustable blues and i think there are older models that are different

schubey
7th April 2010, 09:00 PM
cheers! keep the info coming !

schubey
8th April 2010, 11:10 PM
are blue say better when yellow ?
Harder shock rate?

IM BURNING TO KNOW!

Beau
8th April 2010, 11:20 PM
Green means peace

Red means anger of the anus

Blue means you are a poof

Orange is if you like it when the girl shits on your chest

Red is if you like to shit on the girls chest and then bust a mean Mick Dohan!

ke_70
8th April 2010, 11:22 PM
from whar i know blues are THE shocks far superior than anything else apparently

wheres kk ?????? he would be the man to ask. could probley tell you how many n2 rollas use trd blues

but where can you sorce these trd shocks new?????

Frak
9th April 2010, 12:15 AM
. could probley tell you how many n2 rollas use trd blues

In the early days just about every N2 car run short stroke blues (48511-AE031 and 48511-AE831), when I got my first set of these about 12/13 years ago, they were known as "TRD Group A's", so I imagine they used them in Group A racing as well.

In my experience, having used greens(TA001), Yellows(AE941) and Blues (AE031), the Greens were hydraulic only, no gas pressurisation and were known in TRD catalogs as "race soft" and that's how they felt, green fronts were non-adj whilst the green rears had 8 adjustments, the Yellows were gas pressurised BUT fixed dampening(front) and are actually great bang for buck, highly recommended. Blue short strokes have 5 adj on front and 8 rear and I feel ideal shock for a circuit AE86, if you are on a budget use Yellow fronts with Blue rears, the Yellow fronts have nearly the same dampening rates as the Blue fronts on setting 3.

In the early days of owning my 86, I did try some AE881 blue standard length TRD's, known as "TRD Street", they were actually a really good street shock, when used with street based spring rates. But on going to coilovers, short strokes were needed.

I also tried a swag of s/h shocks from Jap wrecking yards in the early days, back then modded 86's were few and far between, so you could get the rear shocks for like $50 a pair, some of the brands I remember trying were, Potenza Gymkahna, KYB super special for street, GAB, they were no patch on the TRD's.

ke_70
9th April 2010, 11:14 AM
with my 86 im going to be running 7.2kg springs with agxs coilovers in the front. im the rear im running 5kg springs

im trying to think about what shock to use with the rear
the car will set up for grip as well as drift i was thinking about running the trd blues????
what are these shocks worth? and who will sorce them????

timbo
9th April 2010, 12:26 PM
im guessing new blue 8 ways are probably a few hundred dollars... a bloke was selling a set used with one stuck on setting three a few weeks ago for $80 or something stupidly low. you could always buy a second hand set and get the refurbished?

i was lucky enough that the car i bought already had 8 ways. they are very, very good and you can notice the levels of adjustment. i'm on 1 always for regular driving, 5-7 for some fun driving and 8 is like having no shocks at all on brisbane roads...

lo_rolla
10th April 2010, 03:16 PM
My car came from Jap with blues, they fucked up. They were shortstroke.
The Blue ones I have in now (converted to coilover) are extremely long, but still adjustable. We actually had to cut the lower suspension off and weld it on lower (on the traction brackets in this case) to get the desired ride height with out having the coil on the lowest setting. Just too allow adjustability should I see the need.

With out moving it, it looked like one of them old holdens or fords where they lowered the fron and lifted the back.

ae86
11th April 2010, 08:06 PM
yellows are alright but they suck ass compared to kyb agx st185's

schubey
13th April 2010, 12:07 AM
awesome!

Thanks Frak!

20v ae71
15th April 2010, 06:09 AM
whats the body length of a TRD yellow compared to the st185 agx's??

schubey
29th April 2010, 11:41 PM
bump this thread!