PDA

View Full Version : spacing head to turbo n/a 4age

mick
9th April 2010, 05:41 PM
hey all
Just wondering who has turbo there n/a 4age and used a thicker headgasket? im just wondering were to get them from and how thick they went I know motor traders does a shim for the head and it comes in 2 sizes 0.8mm and 1.5mm. but im not sure if i have to put a gasket ontop of the shim? Any feed back on the matter would be good.

cheers
Mick

slide86
9th April 2010, 06:58 PM
im not sure bout this 'shim'......is it a metal plate? if so it will need to have a gasket surface on each side, making it a headgasket anyways

lowering the comp with thick headgaskets is pretty old school nowdays anyways. It all comes down to the tune, as to how reliable the engine will be.

you will be fine running 8 psi on stock engine and gasket IF you have a decent ECU AND tune to match. detonation and ignition tune would have to be the biggest killers of atmo to turbo conversion.

IMO i would run the turbo on the engine you have with an aftermarket ecu.........get some GZE injectors and have a GOOD tune done.

otherwise go down the GZE engine setup and dont have to worry bout comp ratio and pistons......ls1 is 10:1, you can run 10psi on them ALL day. tune, injectors and fuel pump and you got 300kw at the wheels

sun_moon
9th April 2010, 08:24 PM
if the engines a bigport, dont worry... bigports have a pathetic low compression ratio... its like 9.4:1

reecegze
9th April 2010, 09:37 PM
just whack a turbo on it and ems,10-12psi is fuk all. If your worried, with the ems lower your limiter to 7000rpm to be on the safe side of things. Seen 120kw 4age's last years.

If the honda's boys do it with higher comp i dont see why any car cant :P

Skylar
9th April 2010, 10:09 PM
I thought about thicker head gasket too when rebuilding my bigport. Then I thought I should probably go to a thinner headgasket to maximise quench, it might help reduce knock? Then I couldn't be bothered so I used the gasket that came in the gasket kit.

Sam-Q
10th April 2010, 01:11 AM
I agree with the above, running thick head gaskets is fundamentally flawed

mick
10th April 2010, 01:26 PM
thanks for all the replys guys. Im not sure about the shim slide86 but I will go down to motor traders and talk to them about it its only $80 but on the phone they said something about needing a gasket with it still?? I will give them a ring and find out more about it. also does anyone know If I could just use a gze computer and 7mge cressida injectore instead of getting a after market computer ie microtech?

cheers
Mick

Skylar
10th April 2010, 03:12 PM
You blow up motors doing crazy shit like that. If you want to try to run a GZE ecu at least use the injectors the ECU expects to be running(365cc/min).

I would go straight to tunable ecu. I'm so paranoid about blowing motors trying to do things cheaply when you're planning to get an ecu anyway. Do it right the first time and it'll be good forever.

In saying that GD ran 130kw? from turbo'ed bigport motors with stock ecu's for some time.

mick
10th April 2010, 09:55 PM
You blow up motors doing crazy shit like that. If you want to try to run a GZE ecu at least use the injectors the ECU expects to be running(365cc/min).

I would go straight to tunable ecu. I'm so paranoid about blowing motors trying to do things cheaply when you're planning to get an ecu anyway. Do it right the first time and it'll be good forever.

In saying that GD ran 130kw? from turbo'ed bigport motors with stock ecu's for some time.

who is GD?

mick
10th April 2010, 09:58 PM

thanks for the reply mate. who is gd?

Skylar
10th April 2010, 10:04 PM
Garage dori of NZ. Karl Skewes another bloke were both running turbo bigports. They used to have a homepage with docs and articles but now it goes straight to a forum. Maybe there are threads on GDforum but this is going back 4-5 years I think, probably more.

Arch
12th April 2010, 01:10 AM
mick, im the guy you spoke to at traders

im running a 7rib n/a bigport with a t28 and im not running a thicker headgasket, just normal metal gasket, i wouldnt recommend the shimming...

i only called up my supplier to enquire for you because you asked :)

edit: the supplier explained that the .8mm shim reduces compression by .64 and the 1.5mm reduces 1.26 or so, apparently you stick it to the block, then run a normal gasket on top of it. dunno im not so keen myself...

mick
14th April 2010, 12:03 AM
mick, im the guy you spoke to at traders

im running a 7rib n/a bigport with a t28 and im not running a thicker headgasket, just normal metal gasket, i wouldnt recommend the shimming...

i only called up my supplier to enquire for you because you asked :)

edit: the supplier explained that the .8mm shim reduces compression by .64 and the 1.5mm reduces 1.26 or so, apparently you stick it to the block, then run a normal gasket on top of it. dunno im not so keen myself...

hey mate
thanks only going the shim way because my mate did the same thing. alot of people have said dont bother just run low boost but hopefully its ok. will my shim be in thursday mate?

cheers
mick