PDA

View Full Version : Spark plugs

Figgy
13th April 2010, 04:01 PM
Are 4A-FE plugs OK to use for a 16v ?

Cheers.

timbo
13th April 2010, 04:41 PM
i doubt it... gap would be different. new plugs aren't that expensive, go and buy some NGK's.

Jacobxxx
13th April 2010, 05:17 PM
buy ngk-r
race spec haha

timbo
13th April 2010, 05:46 PM
buy ngk-r
race spec haha

yep, thats what i use. can tell a difference between ngk and bosch for sure.

Jacobxxx
13th April 2010, 05:58 PM
hows the price of the r's compared to normal, havent really looked into it.

Jonny Rochester
13th April 2010, 06:22 PM
A 4A-FE is a 16 valve.

Jonny Rochester
13th April 2010, 06:26 PM
4A-FE plugs should work fine in a 4A-GE if that's what you have.

ke70dave
13th April 2010, 07:27 PM
i doubt it... gap would be different. new plugs aren't that expensive, go and buy some NGK's.

http://www.denniswashere.ca/wp-content/uploads/feeler_gauge.jpg

i hope you dont just assume the gap is correct when you buy them.....even if they are specifically for 4age.

Skylar
13th April 2010, 08:44 PM
I've never checked plug gaps? I'm guessing a multi-national company like NGK would have quality control good enough to ensure that the product inside the packaging is what the packaging says it is?

timbo
13th April 2010, 10:07 PM
from memory a smallport is 0.032.

i think i paid just under $20 each for laser platinum.

Nikkojoe
14th April 2010, 01:06 AM
I've never checked plug gaps? I'm guessing a multi-national company like NGK would have quality control good enough to ensure that the product inside the packaging is what the packaging says it is?

Hahahah, how did i know you were going to say that.

I always check plug gaps for new plugs. They are always "about" right, but never spot on. Some of the worst ones ive seen have been .2mm out

Javal
14th April 2010, 01:23 AM
NGK -

4AGE (bigport) BCPR5EP-11 Gap - 1.1

4AFE BCPR5EY 0.8 Gap - 0.8

Why would you even suggest using 4AFE plugs? Spark plugs are cheap as fucking chips, get the right ones straight off the bat and then you won't have to worry.

They will fit though. The only difference with the NGK numbers listed are the 4AG ones are platinum as where the 4AF are not and have a V-groove in the tip, plus the gap difference.

hachi_dk
14th April 2010, 11:44 AM
i run iridiums in my 20v and they were about $20 each.

on a side note, my rmz250 dirt bike plugs came factory with some silly (one off) iridium plug and are $55 each :(

ke70dave
14th April 2010, 01:46 PM

well i guess you just have to hope that all 40 billion or so spark plugs that are produced each day have the exact spark plug gap that is required.

(note 40 billion may be a slight over exaduration)

They will fit though. The only difference with the NGK numbers listed are the 4AG ones are platinum as where the 4AF are not and have a V-groove in the tip, plus the gap difference.

hmm thast interesting, when i bought some plugs for my 4age i dont think i got platinum ones. they were just the "normal" ones that are like $20 for 4. this was just in the supercheapauto booklet thing that hangs around the plugs.

been going strong for 18months or so. next time i replace them ill check out these platinum ones i guess.

Skylar
14th April 2010, 06:47 PM
Hahahah, how did i know you were going to say that.

I always check plug gaps for new plugs. They are always "about" right, but never spot on. Some of the worst ones ive seen have been .2mm out

Yeah, but does that even make a noticeable difference? Never have created a misfire by changing plugs (aside from that shattered spark plug).

Jonny Rochester
21st April 2010, 10:20 PM
NGK -

4AGE (bigport) BCPR5EP-11 Gap - 1.1

4AFE BCPR5EY 0.8 Gap - 0.8

Why would you even suggest using 4AFE plugs? Spark plugs are cheap as fucking chips, get the right ones straight off the bat and then you won't have to worry.

Going from your info, I would probably prefer the "4A-FE" spark plugs, and they may give more power also.

When the 4A-GE was new it was only one of a few engines to come with patinum plugs. But it was for long service life, not performance. The service interval was ment to be 100,000km rather than 40,000km on other Toyotas. The sticker on the cam cover stopped alot of people from changing the plugs (and also their cost). But they do wear, and at 100,000km they look fairly sad. You pick up noticeable performance by going to a fresh set of "4A-FE" plugs and replacing them more often.

The plug gap is not carefully worked out for each car. Most plugs are either 0.8 or 1.1mm, and you can use either and probably not tell the difference. For N/A you can aford to go the wider gap. For turbo you need to stick to about a 0.7mm gap. Old skool ignition from the 70s may have trouble with a 1.2mm gap.