PDA

View Full Version : bent suspension?

tezza88
16th April 2010, 06:34 PM
hey guys. just need some clarification for my problem on kouki 86

recently been in an accident and it seems the fork that comes out of the shock (connected to) may have been bent.

what are my options to getting it back on the road. right now, the hub and discs are not sitting straight. but no cracks, i think its jst bent in.

could i get coilovers (do they come with the extra welded section of the fork?)

please let me know. need to get it back on road.
or anyone selling me stock part to get it replaced.

Terry

KENut
16th April 2010, 07:07 PM
It really depends what has been bent.
Could you get some photos up to give everyone an idea of how bent/stuffed it is?

ke70dave
16th April 2010, 07:22 PM
why is there a fork in your shock?

is it the shock absorber piston? (the shiny tube thing)

ive seen them bent before..

if its just that then you can just get some new shocks and put them in.

if the strut is bent then its new strut/shock time.

maybe take a pic of what you think is bent?

blair
16th April 2010, 08:08 PM
From his other WTB thread, hes after the whole strut (NOT shock)

Only way is to pull it out and see if a Machining shop can bend it back, or find a second hand one to buy and replace it!

blair
16th April 2010, 08:09 PM
Upon more thinking, i think he thinks he bent the spindle that the hub sits on.

tezza88
16th April 2010, 09:48 PM
Upon more thinking, i think he thinks he bent the spindle that the hub sits on.

shabamm.
yeh, the spindle that the hub sits on is bent..
what can i do now?
im pretty sure the shock+tower is all straight, the disc+hub is sitting off centre atm now...lol

thanks for clearing it up blair

sundee
16th April 2010, 09:49 PM
yeah im with you blair:

if your stub is bent, get a new strut. depends on what way its bent all you toe or camber will be out on that side and not to mention it could be fractured and could brake off if you hit something hard enough.

replacing the strut will be your cheapest option.

tezza88
16th April 2010, 09:55 PM
like i mean, what can i buy if i cant find a replacement?

blinded
16th April 2010, 10:31 PM
Xt130 struts? Other than that, seriously easiest would be just to find some second hand AE86 struts and go from there. Unless you replace the strut(s) there is not much that can be really done to fix the issue.

ke_70
16th April 2010, 11:35 PM
you'll pickup bare 86 struts for fuck. then just swap the hub/brakes and everything else.

a good chance to pull out the other one and do the bearings

alot of coilovers wont be any stronger in that part of the strut as most coilovers are just normal struts with thread welded on essentialy. bc's or somthing might be stronger but again they've probley just copied the same design

tezza88
17th April 2010, 12:17 AM
yeh, thanks mate
im not looking for a stronger option, just really to replace what i broke.lol
if i cant find the original strut, i guess my option is coilovers? obviously coilovers are made with all sections as one piece
what u guys rekn?

Terry

sundee
17th April 2010, 12:27 AM
you dont need anything stronger - it only broke because you had an accident. you cant just replace what you broke - well you can but goodluck finding someone who has seperated the stub from the strut tube as their is no real point in doing that.
going to coilovers doesnt give you a new stub axel - BC i think offer a full replacement strut with stub, but its all china and the metal is prolly inferior, and anyway its going to be factory specs as it needs to take the factory hub. so going down that road has no benifits for you.

if u want bigger stub axels u need to go to St141 or Mx73 struts or RA celica - but really unless your going big piss off brakes etc their is no point.
save your coin, just go buy some 2nd hand ae86 struts and if you want, convert them to coilovers, but converting to coilovers has no effect on the stub axle.

cheers

tezza88
17th April 2010, 01:32 AM
yeh, thats what i mean, so BC has the stub axel+ strut together as a piece.
it's pretty damn hard finding anyone whos selling stock ones atm.. guess il jst keep an eye out for them.

thanks for the help folks. il try to find a setup which is best for me.
most likely i'd jst slowly find a stock one and increase spring rate to accommodate the firmness im looking for
and now i know what its called..LOL

thanks fellas

Terry