PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean out water jackets.

PRIMRK
30th April 2010, 10:47 AM
Im preping a block for a complete rebuild and want to know what people have found that will clean out rust scale from the water jackets of a 4AG.

Ive had a chat to Bech ans Borges and they suggested a 50:50 mix of Spirits of salts and water, pour into block leave for half hour, the flush with water.

Im guessing there are a few ways to do this so let me know what other options there are, I have a few spare blocks in shit condition here so I may end up testing the better ideas.

PRIMRK
1st May 2010, 09:52 PM
So i take it that nobody has cleaned out their water jackets befor?

Also the plugs in the side of the block, are they screw in or pressed ones?

Cerby86
1st May 2010, 09:56 PM
i just flushed my radiator and motor today, I used this mix of alkaline salts (which i assume are probably the same thing) It was called Mukowt made by techalloy or something similar. Got it from repco.
I blew a head gasket and had to keep topping up the water, so because there wasn't any coolant the water got a bit rusty, any ran the Mukowt through it for a while and then flushed it and replaced, the water isn't rusty anymore.
So i assume it worked!
Of course if yours isn't running then I suppose maybe acid dipping or something. I reckon the best thing would be to jump on the phone or head down to your local engine rebuild cos they will be able to tell what they do and whats available locally!

Sam-Q
1st May 2010, 10:03 PM
take your whole block to a proffesional acid dip place and it will come back like new, should cost you around $30 and for that time you don't need to buy anything, waste your time or have any hasles. Those brass things are called welsh plugs or core plugs as the Americans call them. They will disolve away in no time in the bath and they get punched in, although I hear of a special sealer thats used around the edge.

PRIMRK
2nd May 2010, 01:19 AM
Can anyone suggest an acid dipper in melbourne?

PRIMRK
2nd May 2010, 01:24 AM
As well as a place i can get the welsh plugs and glue?

Sam-Q
2nd May 2010, 01:30 AM
melbourne? like the CBD?

PRIMRK
2nd May 2010, 11:01 AM
not in the cbd but around the general melbourne area.

Sam-Q
2nd May 2010, 11:05 AM
well without a proper description I can say there's one in dandenong, have a look in the yellow pages