PDA

View Full Version : ca18det pistons in a 4agte

egg_83
28th January 2009, 10:04 PM
-----------------------------------

shift_rook
28th January 2009, 10:07 PM
if ya gnna do it piut some mad forgies in there... otherwise i don't see the point in just factory shitters. that's just my opinion anyway

Delazy
28th January 2009, 10:32 PM
for a turbo engine definately not reccomended...u do realise how thin the bore will be once u manage to fit a ca18 piston? also the fact compression will be rather high aswell...

im definately no engine builder nor a tuning wizz..bad idea all around which ull find when u actually research it properly...

mildseven
28th January 2009, 10:49 PM
what is the bore diameter of ca18?
is it fit the 4ag20 connecting rod?

Sprinter86
28th January 2009, 11:00 PM
i think ive read the that the ca piston is 83mm?? cant confirm though.

slydar
28th January 2009, 11:02 PM
no.

stock 4age is 81. ca18 is 83. max factory recommended over bore is 82.

some people go to 83 in na engines, to try to squeeze some extra power out, but its not necessary with a boosted engine.

also, ca pistons are cast. 4agze are forged. stock ze pistons are better.

mildseven
28th January 2009, 11:31 PM
currently i am using smallport piston.
will the ca18 piston make compression ratio higher or lower?
i plan to stay NA for sure.

slydar
28th January 2009, 11:34 PM
if you use a ca18de one it will probably make it higher. its an ok idea, but the webbing between 2 and 3 gets real thin.. like as in the engine builder ive spoken to about it said you would really need to get the bores sonic tested.

mildseven
28th January 2009, 11:48 PM
thanks Slydar. sounds interesting but a little bit risky.
any bad experience on this modification? please anyone share...

FAST EDDIE
29th January 2009, 04:20 PM
ze pistons are ceramic coated semi forged things, ca ones are cast = shit

ke70dave
29th January 2009, 05:01 PM
ze pistons are ceramic coated semi forged things, ca ones are cast = shit

CA pistons cant be that bad? if they come factory in a turbo engine (which factory runs what 7-8psi) surely the pistons are pretty good since they are designed to withstand that pressure for the life of the engine?

though why you would want to put them into an engine when a "bolt in" forged ceramic option is available....im not sure.

if your after bigger displacement why not just buy oversized pistons? though not sure but can you get gze pistons over size to 82mm? (refering to slyders quote of 82mm being max bore)

pluss gze pistons are like 500$ brand new right? seems a bargain.

note to the thread starter: at least put something in the body of your initial post, kinda rude not to....

egg_83
29th January 2009, 06:12 PM
CA pistons cant be that bad? if they come factory in a turbo engine (which factory runs what 7-8psi) surely the pistons are pretty good since they are designed to withstand that pressure for the life of the engine?

though why you would want to put them into an engine when a "bolt in" forged ceramic option is available....im not sure.

if your after bigger displacement why not just buy oversized pistons? though not sure but can you get gze pistons over size to 82mm? (refering to slyders quote of 82mm being max bore)

pluss gze pistons are like 500$ brand new right? seems a bargain.

note to the thread starter: at least put something in the body of your initial post, kinda rude not to....

I did but deleted it. i was way off

3s-86
29th January 2009, 06:17 PM
I wouldn't put any pistons of 83mm in any 4age block!

As there is a coolant gallery drilled between the cylinder bores,
so it's a big NO NO!

Ca18det one's are flat tops with slight little valve notches & aren't even
going to bump up compression much,
you will probably get more compression from shaving the cylinder head.

If your going to build an engine with Hi compression just pay the dollars
for proper 4age one's as they are dome top for Hi Comp,
get the block fully checked and prepped!

Don't take short cuts when your building an engine prob cost you more in the long run!

levinracer
6th February 2009, 09:03 PM
i have seen 2 split blocks between the bores from 83mm pistons. doesnt mean it will happen to you though. just letting you know what i have seen.

brad