PDA

View Full Version : Smallport AE86 Induction

sirsprinter
13th May 2010, 11:30 AM
ive got a smallport into my 86, ive relocated the overflow and washer bottles, now i just need an intake setup.

Any JDM setups or cheap suggestions?

Does my pod filter need to be mounted/bracketed to the body for legalities? (Live in SA)

ke70dave
13th May 2010, 11:35 AM
Does my pod filter need to be mounted/bracketed to the body for legalities? (Live in SA)

i belive it does.

there are no JDM yo setups that i am aware of. my mate put an "ARC" filter thing in his s15, but it wasnt much different to a pod filter, other than it was flat.

i always wanted to make my own airbox, out of fibreglass so it moulded to the car. then you coudl have cold air feeds from whereever you wanted as well. and paint it black...everyone likes black. i made a subwoofer box once that moulded into the rear of my old 323, so i figure its pretty much the same, cept where the subwoofer went i now put a pipe for the pod filter to attach to. or you could even make provision for a standard panel filter, just find the biggest one in supercheap auto and make it fit.

you coudl try and shoe-horn in a standard airbox from another car, i tried to use a commodore one once but didnt have much luck, just didnt fit in very well. other guys have had success with it though, i think someone put up a tech article once.

of since you have an ae86 you could track down a standard jap ae86 airbox, that *should* bolt in.

sirsprinter
13th May 2010, 12:01 PM
im after some suggestions too? people that have done it... what they did... what they recommend...

i want something 'as legal as possible, without compromising performance'

shift_rook
13th May 2010, 12:05 PM
i just bought an arc airbox, supposedly legal... pretty sweet, can be seen here http://www.nengun.com/arc/super-induction-box

sirsprinter
13th May 2010, 12:26 PM
i cant afford that brother! im a uni student :) id try to make one though! cheers for suggestion

timbo
13th May 2010, 12:30 PM
why not just go to the wreckers and get some intake pipe of a vt commonwhore (i remember it being long and flexible and factory black) and jam a pod filter on the end. use a bracket and its 100% legal.

redsprinter
13th May 2010, 01:24 PM
or you could just get a oem aw11 airbox. more or less the same as a jdm ae86 air box or look around on yahoo japan for cheap ae86 airbox. and run a panel K&N panel filter.

air pod dont do shit for power unless you can keep the heat away from it. it has been proven .

timbo
13th May 2010, 02:44 PM
i still stand by my comment. easier and cheaper. just run some ag pipe up behind the headlight for cool air.

stx-16
13th May 2010, 03:42 PM
i still stand by my comment. easier and cheaper. just run some ag pipe up behind the headlight for cool air.

and put some type of cone on the "outside" side of it trust me it makes heaps more air rush into your air box

redsprinter
13th May 2010, 03:44 PM
good idea.

but you run the risk of getting a defect. put in the effort and theres less head aches later.

edit: would like to add my comment ^^^ only applies to NSW .

stx-16
13th May 2010, 04:00 PM
yeah but you just have to be smart about it and hide it and you wont get the long cock of the law

shift_rook
13th May 2010, 04:05 PM
what timbo said+ make you own airbox, it really isn't that difficult to do with some ally sheet metal and tin snips

ke70dave
13th May 2010, 04:10 PM
here is what i was talking about, and look it even has an 86 in it

http://www.motoractive.com.au/articles/AS_airbox_pg154-155_asm37.pdf

Robo86
13th May 2010, 04:30 PM
stock jdm intake is sweet

timbo
13th May 2010, 05:03 PM
here is what i was talking about, and look it even has an 86 in it

http://www.motoractive.com.au/articles/AS_airbox_pg154-155_asm37.pdf

haha i have excess firbeglass sitting in the garage, i might give this a crack on the weekend!

sirsprinter
14th May 2010, 11:22 AM
ke70 dave, thats a top article mate! cheers

reecegze
14th May 2010, 03:19 PM
make a heatshield to pod filter so its stops hot air heatsoak and run CAI to it. I run a apollo CAI kit from K&N got it alot time ago which works well against cops and flows just as good as the best.

Javal
14th May 2010, 09:22 PM
You CAN run a pod in SA, however to be legal it has to be mounted correctly and BOXED.

Cops will still defect you anyway.

Slimer86
14th May 2010, 11:37 PM
You CAN run a pod in SA, however to be legal it has to be mounted correctly and BOXED.

Cops will still defect you anyway.

In SA, it doesn't need to be boxed, just securely attached to the vehicle body.

Javal
14th May 2010, 11:42 PM
In SA, it doesn't need to be boxed, just securely attached to the vehicle body.

I have been lied to. Thanks.

Cops will still defect you for it.

Slimer86
14th May 2010, 11:46 PM
I have been lied to. Thanks.

Cops will still defect you for it.

True they probably will, but at the Regency inspection (Roadworthy and vehicle ID) they only checked to see if it was securely attached.