PDA

View Full Version : I have some questions [New to AE86 land]

McLeod63
15th May 2010, 01:07 AM
Hi all,
I will be picking up my 86 Levin tomorrow and I can't wait to get stuck into it. I want to just clean it up for now until I get myself some more money.
1. [Answered] First off, do the side strips have holes underneath, or are they glued on? Because they're going.
2. [Answered] Where do I find me a bumper from the newer 86's? I have an 84 with indicators in front (newer ones continue around sides, yes?)
3. [Answered] Will the bumper bolt straight on?
4. [Answered] Where can I get clear indicators for 'wrap around' bumper?
5. [Answered] I have the ugly blue interior. I can paint most of it, but what about the door cards and such. I think I just want it all black and dark grey, did 86's interior ever come in that colour combo?
6. [Answered] I read somewhere in internet land that coilovers are only good for the front of an 86, how true is that? Because I want some adjustable front and rears for mine.
7. [Answered] Camber! I know rear camber cannot be achieved with a stock rear end because it doesn't have independent suspension, but if I were to do a complete rear end swap, what would be the best option? ...and how much would it hurt the pocket?
8. [Answered] I've seen this wicked 86 from Hawaii named EVADE with some awesome Levin eyelids. Just wanting to know, where on planet earth do I find me a pair? Or are they custom?
9. [Answered] If I can't find me a pair of eyelids, how much do you think it'd cost me to get some custom made?
10. What are some grilles that will fit a Levin? Pictures preferred.
11. Where in the North Ryde (or close by) area is best to go for some FREE drifting practice? Hehe.
12. [Answered] I just received my after-market pedals today and soon realised the accelerator pedal isn't as simple to remove as I thought. Do you guys just place your after-market pedal over the top of the stock one or remove it?
13. [Answered] Really stupid question but, how the hell do you remove the head light bulbs!? I just assumed you twisted them out, but I twist them and nothing happens! Now one of the lights aren't even turning on :unseen: (yes, it's plugged in...)
14. This is a long shot but, do ma61/xx boot lid's fit an 86? They seem like the same shape, but I think the 61's are a little wider and longer.
15. Thinking of buying an alarm system, plus immobiliser, will these work without a computer? Looking at a 'Warlock', they any good?
16. What's the difference between a Zenki and Kouki 'slat' grille?
Never fear, more noobish questions for you to roll your eyes and shake your head at to come shortly.

Nikkojoe
15th May 2010, 01:23 AM
This really belongs in tech questions but...

1. Glued on
2. Come on mid 85 onwards JDM 86's (kouki) as we stopped selling them here before that date. Can be found in other countries that got late model 86's. Yest they do have wrap around indicators, also the same indicators found on local FWD AE82's. **THE BUMPER FROM AN AE82 DOES NOT FIT**.
3. Will bolt straight on providing you have mounts to suit the later front bar.
4. From ebay or yahoo japan
5. We only got blue and brown combo here (zenki ae85 colour scheme). You can get the black interior from late model kouki 86's from japan.
6. Front and rear are good, however the way the rear is designed on an 86 (seperate spring and shock combo) you need to beef up your rear shock mounts if you run a rear coilover setup as they are not designed to take the full load of the car. You can buy a seperate adjustable spring and shock combo found on some of the coilover kits on ebay. Site sponsors also make a seprate adjustable rear spring perch.

Intense
15th May 2010, 01:26 AM
Hi and welcome.

1) Glued on, easy to remove
2) Best bet would be to look on the forums or find a place that wrecks toyota's, might get lucky. 83-85 = older model known as zenki, 86-87 = later model known as kouki.
3) Not too sure but I think the brackets are different.
4) Ebay, or just search around here or toymods.
5) Black and grey interiours are common on many jdm ae86's. The door card's can be sprayed and actually look pretty good when they're done, search up harley / ukato here or on jdmstyletuning to see.
6) Ae86's have a solid rear diff with the shocks mounting directly to the diff and the springs sittng on a spring perch, apparently it's not a good idea to use coil overs on the back because the shock mounts aren't engineered to take that sort of weight. But if you want adjustable rears you can get adjustable height rear spring seats from AJPS.

Hope this helps

rthy
15th May 2010, 11:03 AM
buy JDM

SEXY 16
15th May 2010, 11:58 AM
buy s13

Juturna
15th May 2010, 05:55 PM
buy a kia

sun_moon
15th May 2010, 06:38 PM
buy s13

best advice ever. sexy16 knows his shit too, so go with this advice.

McLeod63
15th May 2010, 07:48 PM
Thanks Nikkojoe and Intense, that helped a lot.
I don't have the money for a JDM and I don't like s13's. I'm sticking with my ADM 86, does the job fine.
By the way, I picked up my 86 today, had a little scare! I was travelling up the M5 when it started bunny hopping, then wouldn't accelerate at all. The previous owner told me this had happened to her the day before. Looked in the glove-box and found a new fuel filter, changed it and it was all good. phew.

Here's another noobish question. It being a leaded car and all, I have to add stuff to it. My brother in-law says it may still be able to take unleaded (I can't see how), is this true?

McLeod63
15th May 2010, 07:49 PM
buy a kia

Haha! Just saw this.

shift_rook
15th May 2010, 08:01 PM
i've always just chucked 98 in my 4acs and they love the shit and yeah for all interior bits you're best off contacting craig at just jdm imports on here

and the clear wrap around indicators on yahoo go for around 50k yen so yeah aroudn $70-80 once they're here, that's for the quality ones that are new, also the later model front bar craig can supply

McLeod63
15th May 2010, 10:06 PM
i've always just chucked 98 in my 4acs and they love the shit and yeah for all interior bits you're best off contacting craig at just jdm imports on here

and the clear wrap around indicators on yahoo go for around 50k yen so yeah aroudn $70-80 once they're here, that's for the quality ones that are new, also the later model front bar craig can supply

Awesome, thanks shift_rook.

johl
15th May 2010, 11:10 PM
yeh if u run the higher octane fuel in a leaded car it is fine. just dont run anything under 98

Konakid
16th May 2010, 01:35 AM
and advance the timing so its worth your while.

86TRD
16th May 2010, 02:45 AM
haha wtf is wrong with a kia, my gf has a kia kio and it rocks, its got aircon heck yer.

rdae86
16th May 2010, 11:18 AM
86trd, You trying to win browny points with your misses aye?

Cerby86
16th May 2010, 09:52 PM
with the leaded unleaded deal, realisticaly you are only going to have the 4ac in there for a short time, before swapping to something more powerful (which will be unleaded), and its highly unlikely that running unleaded in the 4ac over that time will worry it that much or if it does the motor will be a boat anchor by that time anyway :P

ke_70
16th May 2010, 11:25 PM
unleaded will be fine
no difference when it come to these engines

focus_7
16th May 2010, 11:46 PM
It's not a leaded car?

Generally I run only 98 fuel, but when it's not available I have run 95 or regular octane fuels. (NEVER ethanol or biofuel though).

McLeod63
17th May 2010, 09:09 PM
Okay, thanks guys. And yeah you're right Cerby86, it ain't staying. As soon as I get my full licence, out it goes.

aaron
18th May 2010, 06:01 PM
i have a set of kouki (late model) clear indicator lenses for levin. if you are interested pm

Sam-Q
19th May 2010, 08:24 AM
I will move this to the tech section, I will answer the questions when I get home from work.

Sam-Q
19th May 2010, 09:46 PM
as stated already 4ac is an unleaded engine from what I know.

The other complication is finding enough room for rear coilovers, people usually have to bash the inner towers unless they have coil springs with a small diameter

McLeod63
24th July 2010, 10:56 AM
4AC isn't leaded? Baha, the old girl that owned it before me had be chucking in some stuff for leaded cars all that time, hope it didn't do any damage.

Anyway, got some new questions in first post.

McLeod63
27th July 2010, 09:57 PM
No one has answers? o_O

shift_rook
27th July 2010, 10:07 PM
7. Camber! I know rear camber cannot be achieved with a stock rear end because it doesn't have independent suspension, but if I were to do a complete rear end swap, what would be the best option? ...and how much would it hurt the pocket?

it'd be a very involved job, if you want irs better off buying a different car
8. I've seen this wicked 86 from Hawaii named EVADE with some awesome Levin eyelids. Just wanting to know, where on planet earth do I find me a pair? Or are they custom?'
they're froma late modelk or "kouki" levin
9. If I can't find me a pair of eyelids, how much do you think it'd cost me to get some custom made?
they're a factory thing, the futhest i'd go to custom making some is either using black tape of shaping some metal to fit and painting it black
10. What are some grilles that will fit a Levin? Pictures preferred.
few different types, pm me if you want me to find some for you, otherwise just keep an eye out here, there's a few different types
11. Where in the North Ryde (or close by) area is best to go for some FREE drifting practice? Hehe.

keep an eye out in your local events and discussion threads for someone into that type of thing

sorry i typed a fair bit more but the compuyer shti itself so the 2nd time i've been pretty quick

any other q's feel free to pm, happy to help

70XIN
27th July 2010, 10:11 PM
7. Camber can be achieved on your live-axle by someone in the know. You won't get much camber (a degree or so at the max), and it will be expensive, i'm also not entirely sure how long your axles will truly last. You could also convert to S13 IRS like a few of the D1 drift-cars have, but you will need a very very healthy chequebook.

8. I know the car, but i haven't seen the eyelids on any manufacturers/retailers site. Best bet would be to ask the question on club4ag, as that's where all the american/hawaiin folk hang out.

9. A few hundred. Depends alot on the place you go to, and the quality you expect. Just like panel-beaters.

10. Zenki and Kouki 'slat' grille (both are very similar - pictured on car), 'Letterbox' grille (on the ground)

http://media.photobucket.com/image/ae86%20zenki%20grille/dori_no_kuruma/DSCF6902.jpg

Flip grille - fairly rare.

http://www.banpei.net/files/ae86-corolla-levin-rotating-grille-open-closed.jpg

11. Local cop station

70XIN
27th July 2010, 10:14 PM
On second inspection, EVADE looks like kouki headlights with electrical tape added to the top and the bottom of the light to make the lights skinnier.

The right-hand-side light is a fibreglass replacement designed to allow more air to the pod-filter. You can buy it off yahoo japan, and probably some other places like rhdjapan etc.

Skylar
28th July 2010, 12:32 AM
You could also convert to S13 IRS like a few of the D1 drift-cars have, but you will need a very very healthy chequebook.

and your car becomes uglier. like this:
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/0/7913.jpg

That evade car looks pretty cool aside from the roll cage made with coilover sleeves and the headlights. Would be nicer in some other colour too.

McLeod63
29th July 2010, 07:31 PM
Thanks guys

I know the kouki head lights have slim eyelids, but the ones on EVADE are definitely proper eyelids. I read about the car a while back but forgot what company made them. The intake/head light mod is ugly, just after the eyelids, hehe.

You could also convert to S13 IRS like a few of the D1 drift-cars have, but you will need a very very healthy chequebook.
Approximately, how healthy are we talking?

70XIN~ The grille picture on the actual car, it looks slightly different to my ADM 86's grille. Are the JDM's different? or are they just the same?

11. Local cop station
Haha, come on man!

86coupe
30th July 2010, 11:01 AM
"8pc. Run-Free Eyeliners"

spoon
30th July 2010, 11:22 AM
any car with an alloy head (generally) can take unleaded as they have hardened valve seats already, which is they whole problem for the changeover from leaded to unleaded... only reason to continue with leaded is for increased octane (reduce pinging) so either retard your timing a bit or run 95+ octane

ae71ness
1st August 2010, 03:54 AM
7. an s13 irs conversion has been done. as for cost, billions and trillions.
just get fat wheels.

McLeod63
1st August 2010, 12:19 PM
Eh okay, looks like no neg rear camber for me -_-
Fat wheels and super stretched tyres instead! =D

Sam-Q
1st August 2010, 07:46 PM
I plan on having negative camber with a solid diff, it's a bit crude though

McLeod63
2nd August 2010, 09:11 PM
Sounds interesting =D
A mate reckons he sees a mad drift pig 86 with neg rear camber on his way home in Eastern Creek... don't know how true that is though

McLeod63
7th August 2010, 08:19 PM
Really stupid question but, how the hell do you remove the head light bulbs!? I just assumed you twisted them out, but I twist them and nothing happens! Now one of the lights aren't even turning on :unseen: (yes, it's plugged in...)

Sam-Q
7th August 2010, 08:30 PM
has a small metal clip under the rubber dust cover that you need to unclip

McLeod63
7th August 2010, 09:14 PM
Serious!? Simple as that, haha. Thanks mate

Wataru
9th August 2010, 08:55 PM
"Run-Free Eyeliners" That is a straight copy paste from his AE86 thread from the HR.com.au

Go to: http://run-free.com/

Translate the page click on parts and then click on the Trueno. Scroll down to the bottom of the page before the price list and there is it Hope this helps.....

McLeod63
9th August 2010, 09:51 PM
You fucking legend! You know how many times I've looked at that site and never even saw that! Haha

McLeod63
30th August 2010, 09:28 PM
More questions. Thinking of buying an alarm system, plus immobiliser, will these work without a computer? Looking at a 'Warlock', they any good?

Also, what's the difference between a Zenki and Kouki 'slat' grille?